4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 2, 2012 9:57 AM by jesskaat

Green Screen Shooting Techniques

jesskaat Level 1

Hello all and Happy New Year! I hope everyone gets to work on the project of their dreams in 2012.

I'm wondering if I could get some advice on shooting a greenscreen segment, in which the talent will be pointing at elements of an animated pie, to be added in post and that will light up and animate.  Should I have an object as a proxy when shootingof the approximate size of the object that will be added in post?

If this isn't a good place to ask this I apologize and would love to know of a more appropriate place to ask.

Thanks all....

Jess

• 1. Re: Green Screen Shooting Techniques
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You should put targets in the green screen stage. I often use tennis balls on green sticks I get from the garden supply. Arrange them so that it's an easy garbage matte to get rid of them. If you have to have things behind your actor make the targets a different color. Green for the main BG, Blur, Red, or Yellow for the targets. You can then add another copy of your keyer to key out the other color.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Green Screen Shooting Techniques
            jesskaat Level 1

Thanks. That sounds good! I'll let you know how I make out in a few weeks.

J

• 3. Re: Green Screen Shooting Techniques
              bogiesan Level 4

ONe of the more difficult chores setting up proxies is deciding how much accuracy you require or, to be more realistic, how much slop you can tolerate. Storyboard the shot and print it to fit your studio monitor and use that document to put marks or little postit notes on the face of the monitor. Line up the shot and place your proxies on the stage to match the monitor. Allow for some play. If you are posting in 720, shoot at 1080 so you can do lossless zooming and repositioning. If you are posting and shooting in 1080, you will need to be far more careful with the alignment.

You will find this whole process much easier if you ahve the pie already designed and roughly animated.

• 4. Re: Green Screen Shooting Techniques
                jesskaat Level 1

wow. excellent idea. I do have the pie designed, so I could do that. Thanks for the advice.

J veccvideography.com