4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 2, 2012 3:15 PM by BillRab

PPro CS5.5 freezes -- what's going on?

BillRab

I'm an experienced video editor, but new to Premiere Pro. Running on an iMac with Mac OS 10.6.8. My first project is a pretty simple one -- only one long captured clip plus a few still photos overlayed in Video track 2.

I'm playing the sequence timeline, and about 4 minutes from the beginning playback just stops. Sometimes, Ppro just hangs completely -- no response to mouse clicks in the app or the menu bar, space bar, etc. Sometimes, though, I can select menu items, move the current time indicator, switch tabs and activate different windows within PPro, but nothing I've done restarts playback.

In the menu, I selected Quit. PPro closed all of the open windows, and then it hung before it completed the Quit operation. I got rid of it with a Force Quit.

This freezing behavior has occurred several times while I've been working on this project, and I'm only about 4 minutes into the timeline. At this rate, I'll never finish the project.

As a "newbie" to PPro, I would appreciate any explanation of what's going on, and all suggestions about how to avoid this "freezing" behavior.

Thanks,

FastBIll

• 1. Re: PPro CS5.5 freezes -- what's going on?
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>plus a few still photos

Photo Scaling for Video http://forums.adobe.com/thread/450798

-Too Large = Crash http://forums.adobe.com/thread/879967

How have your configured your hard drives (you do have more than one?) and exactly what kind of video is that one long clip?

Does your project match your video, so there is no red line over the timeline?

• 2. Re: PPro CS5.5 freezes -- what's going on?
            BillRab Level 1

Thanks for the suggestions, John.

In PPro, my timeline contains two clips on Video 1:

1. Teaser, about 11 seconds long

2. Show, just under 1 hour long

These were both captured from a miniDV tape as a DV/DVCPRO NTSC .mov file. Frame rate, 29.97 fps. Dimensions, 720x480.

At about 4:12 into the timeline, to cover a shooting flaw I inserted a JPG photo on Video 2. Dimensions, 720x534. I added a cross-fade transition to the beginning and the end of this photo.

Yesterday, I noticed the red "unrendered" line above the photo, so I rendered that portion of the timeline. Now there's a green line above this photo.

I moved the current time indicator to the left of the photo and pressed the spacebar. The movie began to play. The cross-fades and photo looked perfect. A few seconds after the end of the photo, PPro just froze. Moving the CTI does not change the frame in the Program window; it's frozen at the frame where playback stopped.

I'm running PPro CS5.5 on an iMac with Snow Leopard 10.6.8. The entire PPro project is on an external Firewire 800 drive, which is formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

Thanks again,

FastBill

• 3. Re: PPro CS5.5 freezes -- what's going on?
              Jim Curtis Level 3

Your project sounds simple, and shouldn't be taxing your computer.

The fact you get freezes at the same point in your timeline sounds to me like you may have corrupted footage or still image.  Try Saving As your JPEG in Ps to a different format, like PNG or TIF, and replace the one in your timeline.

Your DV footage could also be corrupt.  I'd try re-digizing the area around where your app freezes.  See if that helps.  Then  you may be able to use the rest of the clip you've already captured.  If it keeps freezing, then recapture the whole tape in pieces, and join it together in Pr.

• 4. Re: PPro CS5.5 freezes -- what's going on?
                BillRab Level 1

I doubt that either the JPEG or the video clips are corrupted, because this afternoon I imported all of them into a Final Cut Pro project. No problems with any of them in FCP. Ergo, the problem must be with PPro rather than my media.

FastBill