7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2012 2:55 AM by Markus Janhunen

Bookmark order

Fer Parker

Hi everyone

I need some help with urgency, cuz i need to finish this job yet today, but i'm having a strange problem.

When i create the PDF, the bookmarks are wrong, in inversal order. The bookmarks about the fisrst chapter are in the end of the list and the one from last chapter are the firties.

But inside each chapter and title, the order is correct. To be more clear, my pdfs are this way

CHAPTER 2

Title 2

Subtitle 1

Subtitle 2

Subtitle 3

Title 1

Subtitle 1

Subtitle 2

CHAPTER 1

Title 2

Subtitle 1

Subtitle 2

Subtitle 3

Title 1

Subtitle 1

Subtitle 2

As u can see, only the last Chapter Styles are in correct order on bookmarks, my the rest, all in a mess.

My work has 28 Chapters and the number 28 is the first to appear and chapter 1 is the last on Bookmark

I have around 9 Paragrafs styles and only the last one appears in order.

Please, i need to release this job today, can someone tell me why these order is all messed?

I Use InDesign CS5 7.0.4 Version

Thanks a lots and kisses

• 1. Re: Bookmark order
          MW Design Level 4

I have had bookmarks "refuse" to publish, but not have them in the incorrect order unless I have mis-created them. So I am uncertain what to say about that.

If it is a great emergency, and you have Acrobat Pro, you can drag bookmarks around into position and resave the publication. That will get the job done and then you have time to sort through the problem to help avoid it in the future.

Take care, Mike

• 2. Re: Bookmark order
            Fer Parker Level 1

Unfortunattely i dont have bought the AcrobatPro to do it.

And drag bookmarks from 600 pages, each one having around 7 bookmarks? It'll take days to drag +-4200 bookmarks

• 3. Re: Bookmark order
              MW Design Level 4

Well, from your example in the post, one would only drag the chapters and the pages within the chapters stay with them. Pretty moot right now without AP, though.

Without the document or the PDF, I don't know what to say. I haven't experienced the issue and so know of no fix. If absolutely necessary, I would be willing to reorder them.

Question. Are the bookmarks hand inserted, generated from the TOC automatically, or a mixture of both? If based soley upon the TOC, make sure the styles are all as expected, maybe delete the current TOC and regenerate it.

Take care, Mike

• 4. Re: Bookmark order
                Fer Parker Level 1

They were all automatically generated from InDesign.

The styles are all correct. So, i'm already rearranging them all manually. Thanks

• 5. Re: Bookmark order
                  MW Design Level 4

Thank you for the correct answer thing, Fer. But I don't think the post actually solved the ID issue.

I am new to ID and so don't have access to a long document. I have some archived PM publications, so perhaps I will have to load one to see if it happens to it—how to fix it for the next time it comes up. What I am not new to, though, are those pesky publishing deadlines...Good luck.

Take care, Mike

• 6. Re: Bookmark order
                    Fer Parker Level 1

i know that was not a solution, but it was the best thing till that. And i'm bit new here too, so i got a little messed hehe

Well, dunno why that happened till now, cuz i tried all the options and allthem got wrong. Now i finished the job, manually.

• 7. Re: Bookmark order
                      Markus Janhunen

Hello, this is probably too late for this post but for a similar case:  use the bookmarks panel in ID, and command: sort bookmarks. Perhaps that would do the trick?