2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2012 5:00 AM by black4536526

Premiere Elements 9 and Fraps

black4536526 Level 1

Hello,

I am recording footage at a resolution of 1600x1200 using Fraps, and as so far have been unable to find a project preset or output setting in Premiere Elements 9 that does not produce a large black border around the resulting footage.

I have scoured the internet for help on this issue and have attempted to render using numerous different project presets and output settings, copying my project across using ClipMate.

As nothing has worked so far, I thought I would ask directly. This is becoming a very annoying problem, as I have missed the date by which I wanted the project to be finished, and am disappointed that the software seems to be unable to correctly render the Fraps video.

Any help would be appreciated. I am certain that there must be some combination of settings which I need to use, but I cannot work out what these may be.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 9 and Fraps
          the_wine_snob Level 9

There is no 1600 x 1200 Preset in PrE. [One can set up a Custom Sequence Preset to match that resolution in PrPro - just not in PrE), so the closest that one can do is choose one of the HD Presets, say 1920 x 1080 (note different Aspect Ratio), and then Scale, and effectively crop, that FRAPS footage. This can be done by selecting the Scale to Default Frame Size, or using the Fixed Effect>Motion>Scale, and the 1600 horizontal dimension will be Scaled up to 1920. The vertical dimension will be Scaled up (if you do not adjust the Aspect Ratio, and thus "squish" that dimension) to 1440. As your Project's Frame Size will be 1920 x 1080, you will effectively crop off 360 pixel from the vertical, and this can be adjusted with the Fixed Effect>Motion>Position, to crop from the top, the bottom, or both.

Within the Adobe family, the only alternatvies would be black bars, or move up to PrPro, and use a Custom Preset.

Good luck, and this ARTICLE offers some general tips for using Camtasia or FRAPS footage, just in case something in there is useful to you.

Hunt

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 9 and Fraps
            black4536526 Level 1

It took me three weeks, but I found a way to fix my problem without sacrificing the resolution I wanted - followed the tips in this thread, modifying them to work with elements 9: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/480309

Eventually, I was able to create my own project preset without using premiere pro, and it rendered my video perfectly.

I hope others will be able to benefit from this!