9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2012 1:29 AM by Ted Smith

Jumpy Playback in Elements 9

mtupshots

Hi,

I've been working with Premiere Elements 9 for a couple of months now and one problem I am continually running into is a jumpy, or skippy, playback.  When the video is initially brought into the software, it seems ok, although not quite as smooth as when veiwed on the camera.  Once I begin to work with it (cut, stabilize, lenghten/shorten time frame, etc) the play back starts to skip, even after rendering.  This is a huge problem for me because my main concern is being able to pull the smoother clips from the videos, as well as having a stabilization that works well enough to finish it off and give me a very smooth product. I can't tell which part of the video is orignially jumpy and which part is jumpy because of my playback issue.  We are recording in full HD 1920 x 1080 60p/i, and noticed that Adobe doesn't have this option.  We thought that might be the problem, so we have also tried full HD 1920x1080 24p, but it didn't seem to help.

So, I guess I have a couple of questions:

1) Could my computer be causing the problem of a skippy playback? Do I need a faster video card?

2) How well does the stabiliation work?  Can I expect that the oringinally jumpy clips can be made smooth with this software?

Thanks for your help!

Dani

• 1. Re: Jumpy Playback in Elements 9
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It is true that you can not edit 60p video in Premiere Elements. That could be your main issue. (It also can not edit Full AVCHD in 24p.)

60i video is the same thing as 30i. (60i means 60 interlaced frames, which creates 30 frames per second.) I assume this is AVCHD video, so for 60i video, you would use the Full AVCHD project setting. (Make sure you also pick the correct sound -- stereo or 5.1)

Beyond that, Full AVCHD video requires a pretty hefty computer. In my books, I recommend a quad core or i7 processor, at least 4 gigs of RAM and lots of well-tuned computer space. What are your hardware specs?

But you will definitely not be able to work with 60p or 24p video in Full AVCHD in Premiere Elements. And that's a frustration many are having with the newer Panasonic TM series. Is that where your video is coming from?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Jumpy Playback in Elements 9
            mtupshots Level 1

Thank you for the quick response!

We are shooting with a Sony nex5n.  Is there a software you would recommend that will edit 60p or 24p in Full AVCHD?

Our computer setup is very basic - we've known that we will probably need to upgrade. We have an quad core AMD processor, with an integrated video card and 4 gigs of RAM. Do you have a preference between Apple and Windows?

• 3. Re: Jumpy Playback in Elements 9

Unfortunately, no consumer software edits 60p or 24p AVCHD well. For that you'll need to go to Premiere Elements CS5 or, more economically, Vegas Pro.

If you plan to display your video online or on a DVD or BluRay disc, there's no value in shooting in one of these progressive formats. The final product will not display 60p anyway, so you'll just end up down-stepping to 30i or 30p to output the movie.

Try shooting in FX or FH mode with that cam and your video should work perfectly in a project set up for Full AVCHD. (For what it's worth, AVCHD editing has been refined even more in version 10. You still can't edit 60p or 24p Full AVCHD video, but you should see much spunkier performance all around.)

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Jumpy Playback in Elements 9
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Just a little correction, as I know what Steve meant with:

Premiere Elements CS5

Should be Premiere Pro CS 5, or 5.5 (current version). PrPro will allow you to edit that footage smoothly, depending on your CPU - number of cores is as important as speed, and like Steve, I recommend an i7 for that task.

If you DID go to PrPro CS 5.5, you can also benefit from one of the certified nVidia CUDA cards, through PrPro CS 5.5's MPE (Mercury Playback Engine). This ARTICLE will give you more info, should you go that route.

Do note that PrPro CS 5.5 does not have a Stabilization Effect, like PrE does. Many find that ProDAD's Mercalli works quite well, while others like to use the Stabilization in Adobe After Effects (separate program, but included in many of the CS 5.5 suites).

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Jumpy Playback in Elements 9
                  mtupshots Level 1

Thanks for these great answers.  They have really given us something to think about.

I have a followup question:  Our source video is coming from a remote controlled helipcopter.  The videos I am trying to create are relatively short - most often less than 5 minuets.  My main objective while editing is to pull the smoothest clips and cut the choppiness caused by the movement of the helicopter. But that is where I am finding trouble - I am unable to tell the difference between what is choppy because of the movement of the helipcopter and thus needs to be cut, and what is caused from my computer's limitations. So my question is can I expect that Adobe Premiere Elements will give me a smooth playback if I upgrade our computer system to your recommendations, or is this also a limitation of Adobe Premiere, meaning is it normal to get choppy playback?

Thanks!

Dani

• 6. Re: Jumpy Playback in Elements 9

It depends on what format, codec, resolution and frame rate the helicopter video is being shot at.

Do you have any specs on this video?

If not, can you open it in G Spot or Media Info and get those specs?

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

• 7. Re: Jumpy Playback in Elements 9
                      mtupshots Level 1

Full AVCHD, 1920x1080 60i, recorded using the Sony NEX5n

• 8. Re: Jumpy Playback in Elements 9

That's good news! Are those the settings you chose when you started your project?

If so, there should be no red lines above your clips when you add them to your timeline. Is that the case?

If that is the case and you're still getting poor performance, your computer may not be fast enough to work with AVCHD. Do you have a quad core or i7 processor with 4 gigs of RAM? If not, how fast is your processor?

• 9. Re: Jumpy Playback in Elements 9
                          Ted Smith Level 3

My experience with PE9 is that a core duo with a good video card will preview perfectly smoothly good normal AVCHD 1920x1080 25i wiht a few effects applied here and there. It will be jumpy without rendering.

But if you apply a stabiliser as well this is too much for previewing on a slower computer, although the final produced product will be OK.

The computer is not fast enough to preview the edited video and stabilise it at the same time.

Only way is to make a blue ray disk or an AVCHD on a blank DVD and see if it is really smooth.