8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2012 8:46 AM by rowby

"Aerosol spray" effect??

rowby Level 1

Hi

USING CS5

I'm looking for a visual aerosol spray effect.

Since it is going to be used in a comedy I'd like a "BIG" spray coming out of an small aerosol spray can nozzlle.  The spray should fill the air (rather than spray paint on a canvas.)

Is there any such visual effect built into After Effects that I can use?  If not within After Effects, then is there a 3rd party effect that I should look into?

Thanks,

Rowby

• 1. Re: "Aerosol spray" effect??
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Trapcode Particular can do this easily - use a spot light as emitter nozzle and define the letters by its motion path, adjust Velocity vs. Air Resistance so the particles come to a stop mid-air or use collision on an invisble plane to make them "stick".... Use Wind, Gravity and the Lifetime fading to dissipate the cloud after a while. You may also simply use the Motion Path feature in the effect. Depends on which specific look you have in mind and how "real" it needs to be.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: "Aerosol spray" effect??
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You could also use Effect>Generate>CC Particle World or CC Particle System II

• 3. Re: "Aerosol spray" effect??
              bogiesan Level 4

My choice would be particle world. You ca set the floor to be sticky and particles will land and stay put. Setting mutliple copies of the effect to create the illusion of a stencil is complicated but an excellent exercise.

Do not discount the option of shooting it, though. Cans of xmas tree flocking, shot using heavy backlighting in a dark garage, is a superb effect.

• 4. Re: "Aerosol spray" effect??
                rowby Level 1

Thanks all. I'll be checking out your suggestions (including perhaps the low tech shooting it live in a dark garage -- and will report  back. 

Will "do it" within the week.

Rowby

• 5. Re: "Aerosol spray" effect??
                  rowby Level 1

Hi

I am trying the particle world approach.   Please see attached photo.  Particle world seems to orient itself towards the camera.  I need to rotate the particle spray so it sprays in "profile".

What is the best way to do it?  Can I rotate the spray to a profile view within Parcicle world?  Or do I need to do it with a AE Camera.

Thanks

Rowbyparticle world.jpg

• 6. Re: "Aerosol spray" effect??
                    bogiesan Level 4

Ah, we assumed too much. Particle World is quite complex. Under Extras, look for Effect Camera. There is a cube that will appear in the upper left corner of the screen and you can drag it around to change you point of view. You may also want to move the floor. And change its properties. These are under Physics. A "big spray," as you allude to in your OP, is acheived under the Animation dropdown under Physics. You probably want one of the directional choices.

Urge you to visit Cycore's site to see if there are additional tutorial for PW that may help you.

Message was edited by: bogiesan

Message was edited by: bogiesan

• 7. Re: "Aerosol spray" effect??
                      rowby Level 1

I am trying Trapcode particular.

The spray portion of the video is very short.   I want it to look as realistic as possible even though it is seen only briefly.

While I want it to look realistic, I may need to exaggerate it just a little so it is readable in small cell phone screens.   This is for a portion of an internet video.

Here are two brief tests. 

Dark spray:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eP0z-ophms&feature=youtu.be

Light spray:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMxGq1wDtpU&feature=youtu.be 

Any suggestions on how to use, Trapcode Particular's features to improve the "look"

Thanks!

Rowby

• 8. Re: "Aerosol spray" effect??
                        rowby Level 1

Hi Bogiesan,

Thanks for that info.  While I am trying Trapcode Particular, your suggetions re Particle World are helpful overall.

Rowby