12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2012 3:00 AM by nealeh

Red line - rendering issues

BNK007

I have a project that is showing a red line above all the video clips.  When I render the time line they go away, but as soon as I close the project and reopen it, the red line comes back.    From what I have read on Forum and in Steve's book it means that my project settings and my video files don't match.  I thought I had everything matched, this is a standard definition project using avi video files.   I have a screen shot of the project settings.  DV NTSC. 720 x 480,

Any suggestions on what might be causing this???

project settings-2_edited-1.jpg

Here is the properties on the first clip.

1st video clip.jpg

• 1. Re: Red line - rendering issues
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Unless I missed something, it appears that you are using NTSC DV Standard (4:3) Source Files in an NTSC DV Standard (4:3) Project. When you drag those Source Files to the Timeline, before doing anything else, you should NOT have a red line above the Clips. If you do, something is not getting "flagged" correctly in PrE. As a test, I would use either G-Spot, or MediaInfo to examine one of those DV-AVI files, to see if there is something being missed.

Now, with a Clip that matchs the Project 100%, if you add any Effect, or any sort of overlay, like a Title, or PiP, THEN you will get a red line above that Clip, as the pixels have been changed, and need to be Rendered.

There have been several reports of PrE loosing the links to previous Rendered files, but those seem to often be related to the system, such as using external, or networked HDD's for the Scratch Disks, and especially the Media Cache and Rendered Files locations. Maybe now would be a good time to list your system's I/O, just in case there is something amiss there.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Red line - rendering issues
            BNK007 Level 1

After reading your comment I went back and look at some of my files.   Under my Adobe PE preview file folder there are lots of files.   (12,904 files, 76.9 GB)  I assumed these are the files created when I render the time line is that correct???

Also I noticed that several weeks ago apparent the project name was changed because there are folders for both the current name and the old name under the PE Preview files.  Could this be related to my problem?

Thanks, Bryan

• 3. Re: Red line - rendering issues
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Bryan,

Where are you seeing those 12,000+ files? What is the folder structure, where they appear?

As for changing the name of the Project, the only way that should happen, is if one does a Save_As, or Save_As_a_Copy for that Project. Using those functions can be very useful, and I use them as part of a good backup scheme. This ARTICLE might be helpful in understanding the differences between Save, Save_As and Save_As_a_Copy, plus goes into some detail on what the PREL (Project) file does, and does not contain.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Red line - rendering issues
                BNK007 Level 1

Here is the file structure for the preview files. Sorry my screen prints don't appear very clear.

Thanks for the article it will take a little time for me to digest.

Bryan

Folder structure.jpg

Here is the one more level down.

Preview files 2nd screen.jpg

• 5. Re: Red line - rendering issues
                  nealeh Level 5

Those seem extraordinary folder/file properties. What files are the source of this project?

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale
                  Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 6. Re: Red line - rendering issues
                    BNK007 Level 1

Nealeh,

The files that are used to make up the project are:

Captured Video: 18 files, (avi files).  Approximately 15 GB of information on the original captured files.  The length of the project is about 1 hour long.  I think it is about 1/2 video and 1/2 pictures on the time line.   The video clips are typically only 5 to 10 seconds long, so there are lots of cuts. (perhaps about 150 clips there are some longer clips)

Pictures:   About 700 pictures, jpeg, resized to 1000 x 750, most pictures are only 2-3 seconds long.  Lots of fast movement.

Transitions:  All the video clips have transitions and about 1/3 of the pictures.

Music:  18 files, MP3 format. 99 MB.

Is this what you were asking?

Thanks, Bryan

• 7. Re: Red line - rendering issues
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, so the files that you are talking about are a combo of your Assets for your Project, and then the Scratch Disks (the working files, like Media Cache, etc.). With the Captures, then the 700 Still Images, plus things like Rendered Files, CFA's (Conformed Audio) and PEK (Waveform Display) files, you have 12,000+? That number is inordinately high, and I cannot imagine how the Project is using, and generating that number. Even when I Render many sections to see my Keyframing clearly, and have 3000+ Still Images, plus a few hundred AVI's, MOV's, etc., my biggest Project does not have that many files. Something does not seem right.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Red line - rendering issues
                        BNK007 Level 1

Under the file folder:    Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files (the one that has 12,905 files, 76.9 gb)

There are files with such names as:

0d36b46b-cf94-4951-9c5e-55ae55973d40+72949538d59babb05b37294d 48000

0d36b46b-cf94-4951-9c5e-55ae55973d40+72949538d59babb05b37294d 48000

0d36b46b-cf94-4951-9c5e-55ae55973d40+72949538d59babb05b37294d 48000_1

0d36b46b-cf94-4951-9c5e-55ae55973d40+72949538d59babb05b37294d 48000_1

I believe that they have the extentions of .pek and .cfa

I have up to 12 versions of the same file number the only difference is the "_1 " up to "_12" on the end of the number.

It looks like the "_1" were rendered several weeks ago, and the higher numbers were more current renderings.

I looked at other Premiere Element projects I have made, and it appears that I only have one copy of the ".pek" or ".cfa" file for a given sequence number.   

I can not open the files so I am not sure what they are.   I am really not sure what is going on.

Bryan

• 9. Re: Red line - rendering issues
                          nealeh Level 5

As implied in the folder name these files provide preview information. I suggest you rename the folder so that PRE has to recreate the preview files, and see what happens.

But first (and as you mentioned in your own first post) - if those red lines appear above your timeline as soon as you add the clip - you need to recreate your project with the correct project settings. With the correct settings there should be neither red nor green lines along the timeline when you first add your clip. As suggested by Bill earlier analyse the video clips with GSpot or MediaInfo and post a screencap.

Cheers,
                          --
                          Neale

• 10. Re: Red line - rendering issues
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Bryan,

Just to be sure what the files' extensions are, I would go to Control Panel>Folder Options (if this location has changed with Win7, someone will correct me), and turn OFF "Hide File Extensions." I often forget to mention this, as it's one of the first things that I do, when I update/install a new OS, and just assume that everyone else doest that too.

If those ARE CFA, and PEK files, then they are the Conformed Audio (Conformed to 48KHz 32-bit floating point for editing) and Waveform Display. They are created for every file with Audio, whether it's just an Audio Stream, such as a PCM/WAV, or MP3, etc., or is the Audio Stream muxed with a Video Stream.

If those files are Deleted, or Moved (per Neale's suggestion), then PrE will recreate them, when they are needed. When the Conforming is taking place (or re-Conforming), you will get a little progress bar, but for shorter Audio Streams, it might go by so quickly, that you will not see it. During the Conforming process, I would not touch the computer - just go get a cup of coffee, until the process completes.

Good luck and perhaps this ARTICLE will give you some ideas on setting up folder structures for Projects.

Hunt

• 11. Re: Red line - rendering issues
                              BNK007 Level 1

I think I led us down the wrong path earlier.   I opened a new project and took the same video clips into the new project with the project setting for DV.

When I pulled them into the time line a dialog box comes up.

"Fix quality problems in the clips",  

When I click yes, the redline comes in on the PE time line.   If I click no, then there is no color and the time line looks like it is suppose to.  I must have clicked yes several weeks ago when I was pulling the clips in.   It was my first PE project.

As both of you have suggested, I anaylized the clip in GSpot.   I don't know what I am looking for, so here is my screen shot.   Sorry about the quality, I don't have "Snag It" and I am getting these with print screen and cropping in photoshop.  

gspot file 1.jpg

Gspot file 2.jpg

Gspot file 3.jpg

Gspot file 4.jpg

• 12. Re: Red line - rendering issues
                                nealeh Level 5

The screen dumps are fine - the forum compresses them for initial display but when you click one the higher resolution loads.

Video DV-AVI Type 2 is perfect for PRE.

Which leaves the MP3 audio files - often the cause of PRE problems.. I suggest converting the MP3 audio files to .wav 48KHz 16-bit using something like the free Audacity (don't worry that it is described as a Beta- it works fine) and using those in your project. Drag the MP3 to the Window then File> Export as shown. You can also batch convert using File> Export Multiple.

1.png

2.png

Cheers,
                                --
                                Neale

1 person found this helpful