9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2012 12:43 PM by Marie Maier

how to " Nudge" in CS4

Marie Maier

Where, Oh Where, can small, smaller, "nudges" be designated in this software? I've looked in all the nooks and cranies in Edit, File, Image, etc. to no avail.  Please tell me the secret...and thank you so much and Happy New Year!......mm

• 1. Re: how to " Nudge" in CS4
          Curt Y Level 7

If the move tool is active you can use the arrow keys.

The option was hidden my being too obvious. 

My the rest of the year be a great one!

• 2. Re: how to " Nudge" in CS4
            Marie Maier Level 1

Thank you Curt!  I didn't know that "V" was called the move tool. I have used it zillions of times to move and transport images from here to there, but never as a "nudger".  Through trial and error, I tried holding down Ctrl and that did some moving.  Holding down V moves seemingly at the same pace.

But why or why can't there be a return to the way it was done before set up in the old guides area via .002 or whatever was wanted????? Hm???That's what is needed when more critical edges to be matched are needed.  

Ha, I wonder if that was improved in CS5?  

Anyhoo--thanks for the reply, and I'll try using that  and the other one too and get what ever best alignment possible....MM

• 3. Re: how to " Nudge" in CS4
              Noel Carboni Level 8

If you zoom in the nudges can be as small as 1 pixel.

1.  Choose the Move Tool (4 way arrows) in the Tools panel.

2.  Zoom your image to at least 100%.

3.  Select the layer you want to nudge.

4.  Press an arrow key on your keyboard.

Voila, single pixel nudges.

-Noel

• 4. Re: how to " Nudge" in CS4
                Marie Maier Level 1

Noel, for a moment there, I thought I had been tool blind for many years, so I opened PS again, looked and looked and carefully opened each and every tool.  Shucks, Noel, I bet you have CS 5!!!  Unless my CS4  was an errant creation, then that wonderful 4 way arrows tool (except for the 4 ways arrow keys), just ain't there.

Oh, how I wish it was.........

And I STILL don't see why Adobe can't make this an "add on"  update for folks who need the  accuracy that software is supposed to have..........thank you Noel, if you DO have CS5 then my last  question was answered.... Happy New Year to you too!.....and thanks for tryin'....mm.

• 5. Re: how to " Nudge" in CS4
                  Curt Y Level 7

I think we are all talking about the same tool.  First one on the toolbar list.  Looks the same as it did way back to Photohop 6.

The symbol is 4 arrows but if you hover the cursor over it it is called the Move Tool.  If you press V on keyboard it will switch to the move tool.

• 6. Re: how to " Nudge" in CS4
                    Marie Maier Level 1

Mea culpa, mea culpa Curt---you've set me right on course.

I've never used that first "move" tool to move anything, only to change or get away from 1 tool-- like T --to get back to doing something else.

In all these years I've used my favorite software, I've never used that tool for "nudging". Now that I realize the V tool makes that active, I'm having a wonderful testing time and will try it out on a special frame I've concocted, where individual components have to fit together just right.  Yep, pieces DO move, but there are still times when a 1 pixel move it just too much !

So, I heartfully thank you and Noel both for opening my eyes to this solution. However, I'd STILL like to know if this is the same method for nudge in CS5 or has that been improved...... use curious people want to know........thanks again......mm

• 7. Re: how to " Nudge" in CS4
                      PECourtejoie Adobe Community Professional

Marie, are you aware that to get out of the type tool, you can either click the commit checkmark/cancel button icons on the Option Bar (once you've clicked on the image)

If you are using a keyboard shortcut, CTRL+Enter (Command+Enter on a mac), or the numeric Keypad's Enter key will commit the text, while the Photoshop-wide ESC or CTRL+Period will cancel the current change.

If you click and hold on most tool key shortcuts, on CS4 and above, you get spring loaded tools: this allows you to switch temporarily to another tool, then to go back to the original tool. Note that the Move tool has always been spring loaded, by using the CTRL key (CMD on a Mac) (try it with the text tool, hold CTRL and you can move the text you are typing)

Noel mentionned the fact that you may need to zoom to 100% before using the arrow keys: this allows single pixel movement. If you are looking at your image at a lower magnification, you will get a bigger move as it will move by a visible pixel at that magnification. Adding the Shift key makes a tenfold move. Adding ALT (Option) makes a copy.

You wish to move by smaller increments than a pixel is not easy: the pixel is the smallest unit there is in your image (besides vectors, that can be moved by smaller increments when they are transformed) but a workaround is to scale your image bigger, make your move, then scale down, with risks of getting aliasing (blurry pixels).

• 8. Re: how to " Nudge" in CS4
                        Noel Carboni Level 8

Just for completeness, a magnified illustration of the Move Tool's 4-way arrows in Photoshop CS4...  If you cannot clearly see these arrows at original size, you should consider getting a better monitor.

MoveTool4WayArrows.jpg

And what I described absolutely does work in Photoshop CS4 for down to 1 pixel moves.

If find you need subpixel movement, then what you need to do is work at a higher resolution (higher pixel count).

For example, if your document is 1000 x 1000 pixels, and you find you need to move something 1/2 pixel, then what you should have done is create your canvas at 2000 x 2000 pixels in the first place.  The amount you need to move your object would be 1 full pixel.

I always work at a higher resolution than I need for my final results.  Often at 400% (e.g., 4000 x 4000 in the above example).  I keep the master document at this size then I downsize at the end, when I'm ready to publish the final work product.  It is one trick you can use to create results that stand out from those of others.

-Noel

• 9. Re: how to " Nudge" in CS4
                          Marie Maier Level 1

All I can say is, WoW!  Thank you one and all, you folks are just great advisors.  Funny, how when you get used to a software and it seems to work satisfactorily, it's so easy to forget to keep looking for what has been missed. Well, maybe that's the reason for having "problems" to be solved, and to have great helpers on this, the best forum, keep us alive and kickin'! 

I've had a few minutes to try out the suggestions, and all have been great ideas, and all contributing to my new knowledge.  I thank you all immensely.  The "frame"   I was working on in sections is just fine, and it will be used shortly as as insert for other pics.

Apparently, it was in other software -no longer being used--that I was able to achieve nudge factors with decimals, and that was so cool. Maybe PS might do that someday?

I'm sure you have much more serious problems than this one, and I wish you all continued success. I mean it when I say you are the best forum, 'cause I have had years and years of fabulous help here, and I tell others the same every chance I get.  Thanks again and again......mm