4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2012 2:55 AM by hjbune2

Flash Catalyst - solutions to the 20 states limitation

hjbune2

Oops!! I accidentally marked this question as "Assumed answered".

I have not got any respons yet and am very anxious to hear about a solution to my problem.

hjbune2

Hi everybody

I have created an interactivew project in Flash Catalyst, however, just as I am about to add the final states to the project, I am told that I am limited to 20 states. Apparently I have exceeded that number and cannot finish my project, which has taken me hours to create.

The help file tells me that the way around the limitation is to encapsulate components. Unfortunately, there are no concrete examples of how to do that.

If someone can help me out here, I shall be very grateful.

Yours

hjbune2

Hi again

I realize that it is difficult to help me unlless I'm more specific as to my project.

The project has a main window with a vertical menu with 10 buttons which displays in every state and opens with an application transition:

main-menu.jpg

I have an 'on click' interaction on each of the buttons, which transitions the user to "contents 1" on a page with a scrolling bar component, using a flex component from the common library:

button-scrolling-contents-1.jpg

The button in the lower right corner brings the user to a scrolling panel sub page:

button-scrolling-contents-2.jpg

The button in the lower right corner opens a pdf document to allow the reader to print the subject.

This is the structure for all 10 buttons in the vertical navigation bar.

Futhermore, I have animated background boxes coming in from the bottom on the scroplling panel pages.

I was not aware of the 20 states limitation before I started the project and am hoping that I can still save the project by finding a work around that will allow me to fit all my items and their contents into the existing structure, some magic recipe ;0)

If this is not possible, I am hoping that someone can instruct me on how to design the structure to avoid the problem next time around.

Any help will be VERY MUCH APPRICIATED.

By the way, I think Adobe should definitely introduce the states limitation at an early point in their tutorials, so that it does not come as a nasty surprise when it is too late. I have watched all the adobe video tutorials and there is no mention of this limitation.

I hope that they will bring a video tutorial on how to work your way around it, with step by step examples, as soon as possible.

hjbune2

• 1. Re: Flash Catalyst - solutions to the 20 states limitation
          Chris W. Griffith Adobe Community Professional

Without seeing the project's structure and just using the screens provided and the descriptions, I think you might be able to solve this by combining "contents1" with it's associated sub page into a single custom component. Just repeat that for each of the 10 menu items.

You have to remember that Flash Catalyst was build as prototyping/design tool for Flash Builder. Typically, you would build the design shell in Catalyst, then transfer it over to Flash Builder to have the content populated in a more programatic manner.

Chris

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Flash Catalyst - solutions to the 20 states limitation
            hjbune2 Level 1

Hi Chris

Thank you very much for your help. I have tried pushing subpage interaction down into custom components, and I can see that the solution lies in that direction. Unfortunately, I cannot get things to work properly.

When I convert the background rectangle, the scrolling panel, the button to take me to a subpage and the rectangle off the screen that I want to slide in as the background of the subpage scrollling panel, into a custom panel, and then duplicated it to reuse it on other items, the scrolling pannels and their content are of cours also duplicated to these states. I thought it was just a matter of swapping each of the scolling pannels of each individual instance of the custom component, but when I try to swap the pannels the scrolling pannels in all the instances are swapped as well.

Another problem is that when I link a button up to take me to an item and then click to go to a subpage within that item, the main menu button no longer takes me to the item. I seem to have becom stuck inside the custom component.

I am sure there is a fairly simple solution to these problems, but I can't seem to be able to find it on my own. Hope you can help me.

Would it help if I posted some screen shots of the steps I take, which are obviously wrong?

hjbune2

• 3. Re: Flash Catalyst - solutions to the 20 states limitation
              Chris W. Griffith Adobe Community Professional

Either screen or the project itself if you don't mind sharing.

Chris

• 4. Re: Flash Catalyst - solutions to the 20 states limitation
                hjbune2 Level 1

Hi Chris

I don't mind sharing my project at all and will be very grateful if, if you would tke a look at it.

How do I make the fxp file accessible here in disacussion forum. I cannot find any insert/upload file option in this editor.

Best regards

hjbune2

Hi again

I have now uploaded the original project, where I ran out of states, and the edited project where I tried to use custom components with states for item one's subpages.

I sincerely hope that you can tell me how to go beyond the 20 states, since the success of my undertaking is utterly dependent on this.

www.megaupload.com/?d=WR3STNC9

Studieretning oversigt fxg 673x470.fxp

1.3 MB

All the best

hjbune2

Message was edited by: hjbune2