15 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2012 1:45 PM by Peter Spier

Indesign to PDF issues

Jillian Barnes

HI,

I have created a 310 page book using Indesign CS5. Now that the book is complete, I need to export it to PDF for printing. I have been working on this for about a week and I have tried to export the book at least 20 times, and only once did it work (when it did work, I noticed some errors so I had to fix them and re-export). I am using mac OS 10.6.8. I have read many of the posts about this issue. I have added the txt file to ensure that indesign exports in the foreground "DisableAsyncExports.txt". Which helped me figure out the problem page. I also downloaded the adobe patch 7.0.3. I remade the page and it will export if I export to the end of the book starting on page 220 (the offending page is 228), but when I start from page one, it fails at page 228. I've remade the page three times, but I don't know what is wrong with it. There is no text on the page, just 12 pictures, 4 are .jpg and the remaining 8 are .psd (the background has been removed from the pictures). The 8 psd files are on angles. Any suggestions would be greatly apprecited.

• 1. Re: Indesign to PDF issues
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

The pragmatic answer is to export in two pieces, then combine them into one file in Acrobat Pro.  It could be a memory issue...

• 2. Re: Indesign to PDF issues
            Jillian Barnes Level 1

Okay Thanks Peter,

Can you tell me how to do that in lay mans terms? Acrobat pro is something I would have to buy, or is it part of CS5 (I'm new at this). Thanks.

• 3. Re: Indesign to PDF issues

If you purchased a Suite package, you should have Acrobat, otherwise, you can purchase it, or download the trial version to do waht you need to do. The current version is Acrobat X, and some ot the menu caoomnds have changed, but in Verion 9, which I have, you would go to File > Combine > Merge files into Single PDF.

• 4. Re: Indesign to PDF issues
                Jillian Barnes Level 1

Thanks Peter, That is a big help!!

• 5. Re: Indesign to PDF issues
                  John Hawkinson Level 5

I also downloaded the adobe patch 7.0.3.

While 7.0.3. was a huge improvement, 7.0.4 is now current and I think it also had some PDF export fixes.

The pragmatic answer is to export in two pieces, then combine them into one file in Acrobat Pro.  It could be a memory issue...

The even more pragmatic answer is not to bother, and just give your printer two seperate PDF files. It's the work a moment for your printer to merge them for you...

• 6. Re: Indesign to PDF issues

John Hawkinson wrote:

The even more pragmatic answer is not to bother, and just give your printer two seperate PDF files. It's the work a moment for your printer to merge them for you...

Were I the printer, I'd probably charge extra for the service if I received multiple files to be imposed into a single book, but it might well depend on how many pages are involved and where the division happens.

• 7. Re: Indesign to PDF issues
                      Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

John Hawkinson wrote:

Then hope to that they don't don't pdf2 in the imposition first, followed by pdf1!

Supply the file as intended to print. Leaving something up to someone else who could potentially fluff it up is just asking for trouble.

• 8. Re: Indesign to PDF issues
                        Glenn McDowall Level 1

Eugene Tyson wrote:

Then hope to that they don't don't pdf2 in the imposition first, followed by pdf1!

If pdf1 was the back cover... and pdf2 was the rest... then this would be right

• 9. Re: Indesign to PDF issues
                          Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Ha yes, but it shouldn't be up to the printer to piece together.

• 10. Re: Indesign to PDF issues
                            John Hawkinson Level 5

Well, I guess this just shows that the mantra of "talk to your printer"

is best. But I do think if your printer wants to charge you extra for

30 seconds of work in Acrobat Pro, then that's not a very healthy relationship.

(In our production workflow, we regularly submit multiple files to

our printer and our printer's imposition software make it trivial for

them to deal with. We could certainly send one PDF if we had to, but for

a variety of reasons this way is easier for us and our printer is happy

with it.)

• 11. Re: Indesign to PDF issues

John,

Is your production workflow for the newspaper? I advise a student paper, and we also send single pages, but I think this is very different from imposing a book where you might have anywhere from 4 to 96 pages or more on a sheet, depending on the size of the book and the press. If memory serves me, our local daily (which is a bit larger than our school tabloid and runns on one of the largest web presses in New England), uses a one page per plate setup and the pressmen impose on the press itself.

It's a lot different, too, on the receiving end to get a separate file for each page than to get several files with multiple pages. In any case, if the imposition is to be done on a large sheet, you are asking the printer to do additonal work (no matter how trivial you might think it is) and he's entitled, if he chooses, to ask for compensation for doing it. Factor in the additional potential for error in page order, and I don't know any printer who wouldn't prefer to put that responsibility on the designer's shoulders, though I doubt any would refuse work that wasn't submitted as a single file in correct order.

• 12. Re: Indesign to PDF issues
                                John Hawkinson Level 5

Is your production workflow for the newspaper? I advise a student paper, and we also send single pages, but I think

Our production workflow, for a newspaper, has seperate InDesign files for each content section (not physical section) of the newspaper, because that lets those multiple sections be worked on in parallel. So a "section" in this context can have between 1 and 12 pages in it. In our format (tabloid), we're imposed 4 tabloid sheets to each plate. I can't quite fathom how you could use a single page per InDesign file though -- how do you do jumps?

I agree, asking the printer to merge your PDF files is certainly asking them to do work. But I also think that, if you're an inexperienced designer and don't know how to use  the tool in question, most printers would be happy to do the trivial task for you gratis.  But obviously there are many different approaches...

So, "ask your printer."

• 13. Re: Indesign to PDF issues

John Hawkinson wrote:

Is your production workflow for the newspaper? I advise a student paper, and we also send single pages, but I think

Our production workflow, for a newspaper, has seperate InDesign files for each content section (not physical section) of the newspaper, because that lets those multiple sections be worked on in parallel. So a "section" in this context can have between 1 and 12 pages in it. In our format (tabloid), we're imposed 4 tabloid sheets to each plate. I can't quiet fathom how you could use a single page per InDesign file though -- how do you do jumps?

Very painfully by copy/paste and careful checking when something gets edited. It's far from ideal, but it's a weekly, not a daily, so we have a bit more time, and the staff is small (as is the paper -- usually 4 or 8 pages, never more than 16 in my years with the group). We need the flexibility to allow each page to be worked on by a different user both to get the last minute rush done and to allow as many people as possible to participate in production if they choose to do it -- the paper is technically a school club, but participation is required of journalism students, and the professor has been pushing for the kids to learn production as well as writing skills.

• 14. Re: Indesign to PDF issues
                                    John Hawkinson Level 5

how do you do jumps?

Very painfully by copy/paste and careful checking when something gets edited. It's far from ideal, but it's a weekly

Wow, that's pretty scary.

If you had money to burn, I'd suggest you look at something like Woodwing's Smart Jump, but I don't think you can use it outside of Smart Connection Enterprise, so it would mean converting to an InCopy/InDesign workflow with Smart Connection in the middle, which is both pricey and involved and perhaps not appropriate for your scale.

(Also, the few times we have used Smart Jump, for content that jumps between logical sections of our paper, as opposed to simply between pages, there have been some problems. Tracking them down is somewhere on my todo list, but for something that happens once every 3 or 4 months, it hasn't been a priority...)

• 15. Re: Indesign to PDF issues

John Hawkinson wrote:

If you had money to burn,

We don't. It's a community college. When I was on the faculty they paid about $3000 for me to teach a semester of InDesign. That was BEFORE all the recent budget cuts.