1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 3, 2012 4:37 AM by dradeke

Question about moving a project from FCP to Premiere to do color correcting/sound finalizing.

Velzz Level 1

My friend and i have been editing a film on FCP express. I've been learning more about editing and color correcting recently and have been teaching myself on  Adobe Premiere. I offered to color correct the film on Premiere on my system. I'm curious what the best way to do this would be. is it possible to take the timeline from FCB with the raw data and somehow open that in CS? Or should he export the pre corrected final cut without correcting as a certain type of file, then I work on that, then export that as the final cut?

• 1. Re: Question about moving a project from FCP to Premiere to do color correcting/sound finalizing.
          dradeke Adobe Employee

If FCP express has XML export, then you can export the project and then import the XML into Premiere Pro.  It will give you the basics of the timeline and basic transforms for each clip (position, scale, rotation).  However, not everything comes across - titles and 3rd party effects will not come across.

Given that, another option is to render out the entire movie and then grade it in Premiere Pro.  But you lose a lot of control if you go that way.

The third option is to import into Premiere Pro and rebuild the bits you might be missing from FCP and then you have both the control and options.

Hope this helps,

Dennis