5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2012 11:12 AM by Noel Carboni

CS5 Annual Subscription

PeterRHawkes Level 1

The Annual Subscription to CS5 looks like a good buy but waht happens when the next version of Photoshop is launched? Does a subscription allow for a 'free' upgrade or is the subscriptoion or is a new subscription required?

Peter R Hawkes

• 1. Re: CS5 Annual Subscription
          arc fixer Level 3

Hi Peter.

I've been looking into this myself. Short answer, yes. It's one of the chief advantages of the subscription. More here.

Peace,

Lee

• 2. Re: CS5 Annual Subscription
            acresofgreen Level 4

The video (on the page you linked to) by Adobe Group Product Manager Yashodhan Gokhale gives great insight into why Adobe suddenly changed their upgrade policy to allow only users of the previous version (CS5) to upgrade to CS6 when it comes out.  Obviously, the purpose was to attract more subscribers.

"Subscriptions are ideal if you are on an older version of the product and don't qualify for an upgrade"

• 3. Re: CS5 Annual Subscription
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/faq.html#subscriptions

3 answers that cover al lyou need to know pretty near the end of the subscription section...

Mylenium

• 4. Re: CS5 Annual Subscription
                arc fixer Level 3

Hi aog.

Obviously, the purpose was to attract more subscribers.

True. And it's hard to feel good about a subscription when you feel you've been coerced into it. Even if it's a good deal. Even worse, it put's you in the same situation as you are with your cell provider. The bill just keeps coming. So right now I wouldn't seriously consider switching my Ps and Illy to a subcription. I'll pay cash for the upgrade when I can afford it.

However, I am looking at work which may require the use of InDesign, which I don't have, so I was thinking in terms of a month to month until I figure out if the work will justify the cost. The fact that Adobe offers the month to month seems  a surprisingly proletarian gesture considering the general direction they seem to be heading. I'm sure in a perfect Adobe world, each and every Adobe product user would be obliged to send Adobe a significant amount of payola each and every month until they croaked, at which time the obligation would be passed on to the next of kin. Good business if you can get it.

In any case, it's all a matter of perspective. I'm not mad at Adobe. I'm just glad I'm not creating masks with a pencil, Exacto knife, and frisket any more. Or spending hours maintaining my airbrushes. Exacto knives and airbrushes don't have undo, let alone a history panel. The result of a mistake or a malfunction was most often irreversible. You didn't hit Ctrl+Z. You hit Start Over from the Beginning. And then there was the cost of supplies; paint, ink, frisket, artboard, etc. And the cost of providing a much larger workspace. And so on. So, from this perspective, Adobe would have to be a lot more annoying than they are before I get too upset. In the meantime, I'll just keep chugging along with my PsCs3 and my Illy Cs until I find a hill they can't climb.

Peace,

Lee

• 5. Re: CS5 Annual Subscription
                  Noel Carboni Level 8

As I must keep up to date with Photoshop for my business, I've bought the upgrade every year and a half or so for just Photoshop Standard, right when each new version was released.  Seems to me this has been the way to get maximum value, and I suspect it will STILL be a good bit cheaper than maintaining a subscription.

The things people are willing to commit to pay for from now on in this new millenium are amazing.  Communications (cell/data) plans, car leases, software subscriptions...  And you don't even end up with anything of value that you can keep at the end.

Time was grave consideration was paid to "going into debt" (implying payments from now on).  Now everyone's willing to commit, because everyone's doing it.  It's a significant cultural shift, and I don't think a healthy one.  Folks actually being laid off are immediately in trouble (not that being without Adobe software would be THAT much of a hardship in the grand scheme).  We're seeing that the stress of not having a job is a tremendous weight on people!  A friend of mine was laid off the week of Thanksgiving.  Rather than wait until after the holidays, he scrambled to land a new job right away, which meant he got NO vacation time at all.  So he gave up all the time this year with his family (who traveled without him) for what - so he didn't have to give up his cell phone?  Not healthy at all.

-Noel