9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 12, 2016 11:08 AM by Roei Tzoref

Organizing Layers in Folders within the Comp-Panel ?

fhxfhx Level 1

Hi, I can organize files in the Project Panel with folders, which is great help when working with many items. Now is there also the same or a similar way to organize the layers in the Comp-Panel (Timline Panel ?). Even better would be to have groups, which could be hid or revealed or such ? I played around and googled it but didn't find anything that way ... I understand "Shy", but there is only one shy, found no groups or folders for it ... ? Any hint available ?

Regards,

Frank

• 1. Re: Organizing Layers in Folders within the Comp-Panel ?
          TimeRemapper Level 4

There is no timeline organizational structure like folders (although it seems to be a popular feature request), however, there are precomps. Precomps are your best option for anything akin to grouping your layers, but they are more versatile than a traditional grouping-folder.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Organizing Layers in Folders within the Comp-Panel ?
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

By Comp-Panel I assume you mean Timeline. Precomps are a good thing. They are great for elements that you use multiple times like text and mattes. They allow you to re-arrange the rendering order to achieve effects that cannot be achieved in any other way. They simplify the workflow in almost any complicated project.

The hardest part for for the folks I've taught is to think of the precomp as a friend and not an enemy.  Most editors want to put an entire movie in a single timeline. No pro does that. Back in the film days you had to cut in 10 minute reels because 1000' was all the film that would fit on a reel or a platter. It's the same way in AE. So many people want to put their entire project in a single comp in AE. I worked with a group of students that had an entire 20 minute film in one comp in AE. When they wanted to re-edit the project to tell a better story it was a mess. AE is for creating shots or simple sequences. Your NLE is for editing. Pre-composing is for organization and technique.

There are also great tools for organizing the timeline. I use the shy feature a lot when there's a bunch of layers that I'm through fiddling with. I color code elements into color groups. I use naming conventions. I use multiple timeline, multiple effects control panels and multiple comp viewers, with one of the views locked to a layer or comp all the time to edit this and look at that.

2 people found this helpful
            • 4. Re: Organizing Layers in Folders within the Comp-Panel ?
              fhxfhx Level 1

ok I'm making use of splitting the storyboard into comps where its adequate and bring together in a post-comp ... now I start the animations in each pre-comp at the beginning (0:00) of the timeline which makes it convenient to place in the post-comp, but its unconvenient to locate the post-comp time in a pre-comp when I have to adjust animation of a pre-comp.

Is there a way to additionally re-interpret the timing of a pre-comp based on a post-comp ? I tried to use different views as well, whereas I wasn't able to assign different comps to different views at the same time.

• 5. Re: Organizing Layers in Folders within the Comp-Panel ?
                fhxfhx Level 1

I'm trying to find out how to arrange multiple comps in multiple views in the user manual and in google, but what ever I do, the views switch to a whole new set when I try to exchange 1 view to show another comp.

I can't identify how this works. The ETLAT info (edit this lok at that) does not say how to setup the views and timelines.

http://my.jetscreenshot.com/10418/20120114-nhma-254kb.jpg

• 6. Re: Organizing Layers in Folders within the Comp-Panel ?
                  Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You're still looking at one comp, but it's one comp with 4 views which is useful for positioning elements in 3D space.

If you lock a view then you can create a new viewer and see other views by simply clicking on the name of the other comp in the Composition window. You can also grab a tab, any tab, and drag that timeline, comp, or any other panel to a new location. You grag the little dot pattern to the far left of the tab. There's information on arranging panels and workspace in the help files and a quick Google search will bring up this short tutorial by Chris Meyer.

You want to end up with something that looks like this then start clicking and dragging the tabs around. You'll figure it out in about a minute. Don't forget to lock comp views and ECW views.

Screen Shot 2012-01-14 at 10.52.55 AM.png

When you want things back the way they were just go to Workspace and select reset.

• 7. Re: Organizing Layers in Folders within the Comp-Panel ?
                    fhxfhx Level 1

hm, the linkes video shows the same as I understood in the user manual, but when I try, the other window never appears

• 8. Re: Organizing Layers in Folders within the Comp-Panel ?
                      fhxfhx Level 1

now I finally found out. It is that the new created window must be dragged to a new space within the offered spaces top left right bottom (but not in the middle) in combination I found where to touch a window to drag it. I tried dragging before as well, but didn't catch the right thread and thought I'm on the wrong path.

Here a picture for everybody getting stuck as I did:

http://my.jetscreenshot.com/10418/20120114-ozo0-128kb.jpg

• 9. Re: Organizing Layers in Folders within the Comp-Panel ?
                        Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional

there's this script:

http://aescripts.com/layer-groups/

but to me it looks like making a mildly complicated idea into much more complicated