Specs as follows:

i3 2120

ASRock Z68 Pro3

8GB DDR3 1600MHz

Onboard graphics (HD 2000)

OCZ Agility 3 60GB

OCZ ZS 550W

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Just got my rig together and installed all the drivers, but CPU-Z is showing my Graphics Card as Intel HD 1000 (GT1), however Intel's Driver Update Utility says I have got Intel HD 2000 and that I have got all the latest drivers.

I am also having another problem in After Effects CS5, which I think is related: when I try to view the image as Rendered when using the Shatter effect, I get error messages in a row:

First:

"After Effects error: crash occurred while invoking effect plug-in "Shatter".

Second:

"After Effects error: Crash in progress. Last logged message was <2064> <DynamicLink> <5> C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\dynamiclink\CS5\dynamiclinkmanager.exe

Third:

"After Effects can't continue: sorry, After Effects has crashed. See http://www.adobe.com/support/products/aftereffects.html for known issues. If you still can't resolve this issue, please contact Adobe Technical Support (2).

( 0 :: 42 )

It then asks me if I want to save.

When I go Edit > Preferences > Previews > OpenGL Info, it says "No compatible OpenGL graphics card found." But Intel's website says that Intel HD 2000/3000 have support for OpenGL.

What is going on here!?

• 1. Re: Very annoying AE Crash
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

But Intel's website says that Intel HD 2000/3000 have support for OpenGL.

Sure, but OpenGL is a broad spec and what works in one program may be of no use in others. And intel graphics chips have always been riddled with problems and serious hardware bugs. Or in other words: They are mostly rubbish for any serious application program. Seriously, do the only sensible thing: buy a graphics card. Even most 3 yerar old cards from the 40 Euro budget tray will be better than that intel thing....

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Very annoying AE Crash
            Clarky97 Level 1

OK, I found an old NVIDIA 7200GS, and whilst this now shows up in OpenGL Info, I still get the same crash

• 3. Re: Very annoying AE Crash
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

Consider it a blessing in disguise.  Open GL has never worked well in AE.  It rarely helps, and often hurts.

Adobe employees don't use Open GL when they render (previewing is OK), and neither should you.

• 4. Re: Very annoying AE Crash
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Well, there are no easy answers. Such stuff is an intricate web of drivers, hardware and otehr things. As a minor, check your Windows Event Viewer. This may give a clue to the specific cause. Also check and re-check all your drivers and your device manager. In particular the absence of specific motherboard drivers for coreXi processors can have some weird effects due to their power management features but of course graphics drivers are just as critical. Also on that note check your BIOS and turn off the internal GPU completely when using an external card. The automated config may simply not work as expected and make matters worse...

Mylenium