33 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2012 11:53 PM by Davhub

Premiere elements 4 crashes on title making

Davhub

Hi everybody, hope to find here a little help.

I own a Sony Vaio with Win Vista (kept updated constantly).

I just finished a 1 hour and 5 minutes video project with PRel 4.0 , but I cannot export the movie.

Reason? Titles cause continuos crashes.

During video editing every 3-5 uses of titles premiere went on crash.

It was harsh to finish since the titles are for subtitles (the original footage is in english and I had to translate in Italian).

But some test I made were always succesful so I didn't be warned.

I know for sure  the titles are the "bad ones" because on troubleshooting sessions, I rendered a full version of the movie

after deleting all the texts and the process went smoothly and without warnings/problems.

Now I think there could be a bunch of possibilities but I did not find any solutions on web.

I think that the most effective solution could be the following:

Can I rasterize the texts? so having simple foregrounds bitmaps instead of vectors could bypass the crashes.

others hypotetic solutions are more exotic to me (or I imagine they are, )

Heres' the details of the warning messages I received for Vista after crashes.

(it's in italian, but it could be easy to understand) If necssary I can translate.

Thanks in advance

Davhub

Nome evento problema:     APPCRASH

Nome applicazione:     Adobe Premiere Elements.exe

Versione applicazione:     4.0.0.0

s  Timestamp applicazione:     46f98f81

Nome modulo con errori:     MediaLayer.dll

Versione modulo con errori:     4.0.0.0

Timestamp modulo con errori:     46f978a4

Codice eccezione:     c0000005

Offset eccezione:     0033c168

Versione SO:     6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3

ID impostazioni locali:     1040

Informazioni aggiuntive 1:     fd00

Ulteriori informazioni 2:     ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160

Ulteriori informazioni 3:     fd00

Ulteriori informazioni 4:     ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160

seguito subirto dopo dal seguente dettaglio:

Nome evento problema:     APPCRASH

Nome applicazione:     Adobe Premiere Elements.exe

Versione applicazione:     4.0.0.0

Timestamp applicazione:     46f98f81

Nome modulo con errori:     atiumdva.dll

Versione modulo con errori:     7.14.10.215

Timestamp modulo con errori:     4a0ccab8

Codice eccezione:     c0000005

Offset eccezione:     000014d5

Versione SO:     6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3

ID impostazioni locali:     1040

Informazioni aggiuntive 1:     86e0

Ulteriori informazioni 2:     dddc327fc444f5eea81feab0b918a35e

Ulteriori informazioni 3:     4fa2

Ulteriori informazioni 4:     b27bb6047a938639d1e8ee98b9903197

• 1. Re: Premiere elements 4 crashes on title making
          the_wine_snob Level 9

It sounds like you have been able to create your Titles in the PrE Titler (a mini-application within PrE), but then Sharing/Exporting the Timeline with those Titles is causing the crash. Is that correct?

While Titler is normally a good little program, I often create my Titles in Photoshop (PS Elements works well too), and then Save_As PSD (Photoshop's native format). Those Import fine into PrE. I would certainly experiment with this workflow, just to see if it works.

In Photoshop, at New Image, I choose the appropriate Preset from the drop-down, and it's usually NTSC 720 x 480 Standard, or Widescreen for my Projects, but there are Presets for other Video Frame Sizes and PAR's, as well. I have never used PSE, so do not know if it has those same New Image Presets, but would assume that it does.

Now, if it is Titler, that is crashing (from your post, I think you are beyond this point), this ARTICLE will list some potential problems.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Premiere elements 4 crashes on title making
            Davhub Level 1

Hi Bill, thank you so much for your fast reply.

Indeed It seems the titler is the best way to do titles:

It's an internal plugin, I have immediate overlapping with the video footage and so on.

Unfortunately in my case it's useless.

I can bet a million that if a start a new project this problem would be out of the way.

But Now I have to manage this long editing trying to minimize my time loss.

So you suggest to redo the text part as image in Phtoshop and import them as raster images.

If I have to be honest this is not a great option, but I know your profound knolwledge of the software

and if you tell this, OK: it's the only way.

but before I need to read carefully your article i began to read some days ago

just to be sure to have tested all the options.

Thanks again

Davhub

• 3. Re: Premiere elements 4 crashes on title making
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You can "rasterize" your titles when by rendering your video. (Press Enter when there are red lines above your video clips. Those lines will turn green when they are rendered.)

The main reasons computers crash while making titles is that they don't have enough RAM or enough clean, defragmented free space on their hard drive.

If you've got at least 30 gigabytes free on your hard drive, try running Advanced System Care before you next create titles. It will often get rid of "invisible" problems on your hard drive.

http://www.iobit.com/advancedsystemcareper.html

• 4. Re: Premiere elements 4 crashes on title making
                Davhub Level 1

Hi Steve, thanks for tha tip.. indeed the PC is not mine (or at least I mena is not under my control) and

I did not check any defrag / scandisk and other issue.

I only know that I costantly kill via task manager all the processes I know are useless before launching

the creation of the video.

This frees up some Mb of RAM but not enough.

Concerning the rasterization nad "rendering porcess" I will test what you're saying

It sounds fine.

I will let you know.

Thabks

Davhub

• 5. Re: Premiere elements 4 crashes on title making
                  Davhub Level 1

Hi Bill, Hi Steve, yesterday I came out with some troubleshooting session.

First of all I clear up the PC using the installed PCTuneup software.

I will defragment the disk soon.

Then:

1) I started a rendering session (press ENTER) of the whole project. The process seemed to surpass the "crash position"

(the point where usually Prel crashed) but, suddenly, it went crashing. no way to render/rasterize text clips.

2) I saved a copy of the whole project deleting all the video footage and keeping the Text clip only.

I started to render segment by segment in order to search for "BAD/Corrupt" Text clip.

To my surprise of the quite 180 text clips no one caused crashing. and render process went good.

I endeed up that the problem is for Prel to render/export the whole project Video+textclips.

So I started to think to export a video file with the text clip witha Chroma Key color backgorund in order to

mix up the video footage files and the text clips video.

BUT, unfortunately, Prel went out with the following message: Unknow error: impossibile to export.

No crash, but no video file generated.

I will test another workaround (trying to render segment of the whole process) in order to ended up with a full

rendered project.

What do you think?

Thanks in advance

Davhub

• 6. Re: Premiere elements 4 crashes on title making

I am sorry, Davhub. Something is definitely wrong some place. Unfortunately, it's not something I can diagnose based on what you've told us.

• 7. Re: Premiere elements 4 crashes on title making
                      Davhub Level 1

Do no worry Steve, I'll keep on going on test and workarounds. I'm a little bit stubborn in these cases .

If I'll find out what's wrong I can post it to everyone to see and test on their own.

Thanks again.

Davhub

• 8. Re: Premiere elements 4 crashes on title making
                        Ekeroil720p

"atiumdva.dll" is part of the ATI graphics drivers, I'd try installing the latest Microsoft approved drivers if you don't have them already, in which case I'd revert to the previous version.

• 9. Re: Premiere elements 4 crashes on title making
                          Davhub Level 1

Hi Ekeroil... it could be a good Idea, but the pc I'm using is a Vaio notebook and I do not have any update available

I tried installing the autodetect utility by ATI but the software exit with an incompability issue...

I'll keep on going..

Davhub

• 10. Re: Premiere elements 4 crashes on title making
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

If Sony does not have a new video driver, I would go to the ATI/AMD Web site, plug in your ATI card model and your OS, and see what their latest video driver for your card/chip is. If there is a newer one, just download and install that.

I never trust the OS, or any update utility, to tell me if I have the latest video driver, as most are at least 6 mos. out of date, and often more than a year. Video drivers are very fragile things, and a simple OS update, or hot-fix, can render them obsolete. That is why ATI/AMD and nVidia issue them about once per month.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Premiere elements 4 crashes on title making
                              Davhub Level 1

Dear Bill Infact it was waht I did.

I went on ATI website, downloaded the autodetect utility for the video card.

at the moment of installation of the downloaded drivers the software told me to contact the producer in order to

let it release an update of the graphic "something" (sorry i do not remeber the message word by word) due to incompatibility issues

with the new drivers to be installed.

So I suspect the sony Vaio architecture is a little bit "closed".

But this, is quite definitely OT so I'll keep you informed about the primary problem and not about other "collateral" issues

Thanks a lot.

Davhub

• 12. Re: Premiere elements 4 crashes on title making

That's true. Sony is notorious for modifying the the operating systems of their computers.

For driver updates, your best source is the support area of the Sony Vaio site.

• 13. Re: Premiere elements 4 crashes on title making
                                  nealeh Level 5

Toshiba have a 'closed' graphics driver. But recently a Toshiba user posted a fix recommended by Toshiba for installing a generic driver. It worked for several Tosh owners.

• Get the most recent ATI driver from the ATI website. Get the driver, not the detect utility.
                                  • Create a System Restore point
                                  • THIS IS THE IMPORTANT STEP ---> In Device Manager remove the display adapter and reboot the machine.
                                  • During reboot decline any prompts to install a driver.
                                  • Install the ATI generic driver.
                                  • Reboot.
                                  • If it's worked, hurrah. If not you can revert to your system restore point.

Cheers,
                                  --
                                  Neale
                                  Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 14. Re: Premiere elements 4 crashes on title making
                                    Davhub Level 1

Very nice workaround, Nealeh. Just one word...

How can I make a restore point?

I never did the occasion to do that and I do not know how to do it.

Shame on me..

Thanks in advance for your help

Davhub

• 15. Re: Premiere elements 4 crashes on title making
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Just go to Windows Help and type in System Restore, if it is not automatically shown in the subjects on that Help screen. The instructions will be there, including hot-links to the System Restore utility (built-into Windows). The exact location and steps might differ version to version, and that is why I recommend doing it the first time, from the Help screen. After that, you will know exactly where it is, and how to do it, in your version of Windows.

I always recommend creating a System Restore Point, before installing any program, or even a driver, just so that you have the ability to get back to "NOW," should something not go, as anticipated.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 16. Re: Premiere elements 4 crashes on title making
                                        Davhub Level 1

Hi everybody I came back to this thread.

Gratefully Sony support Service is a guarantee.

In less then 15 minutes they were sending me all the compatible updates.

After installation of the new files, I started Pel.

some test with rendering the whole file: no crash even with titles.

So I started to complete the final movie.

Share>DVD> BURN....

I tried two times.

The first one crashed NTdll (NOOOOO Windows noooo...)

But it was a fast test (I did not close unuseful applications).

The second one, I killed AV and anti spyware, disconnected both lan cables and wireless module.

killed bluetooth manager, all the automatic updates utility, and some more apps not connected to video and audio issues.

I gained quite 15 Mb of RAM. (not a great amount but better than nothing).

Started... after menu creation, at the moment of codify, Crash.

this time... unbelievable... kernel32.dll....

I'm a little astounded.

Now. I have to make a DVD from this movie.

I'm ready to get rid off the "cute utilities" like menus, internal links and navigation feature in the DVD.

I need just the audio/video channels.

InVAIO+premiere i have three ways to export.

1) file-export-movie (usually I export lossless and then I use virtualdub to codify the video in specific codecs. (this Time I'm a little afraid of the Gb required at 720x576x25 fps) and I dropped the idea).

2) Vaio export with quite the same features, but optimized and a little more for newbies (less settings).

3) Share> and all the options.

I need this video to be seen by technicians (plumbers and so on)  so I prepared a DVD in order to let them see the

movie in their houses (that's why the 25 fps and the DVD menus).

But, again if you suspect the problem is the "computational heaviness" I'm ready to drop to 720x576x15fps and

something like MPEG2 codec (even if I prefer the H.264 one...)

What do you think about?

Thanks in advance for your patience

Davhub

• 17. Re: Premiere elements 4 crashes on title making
                                          nealeh Level 5

Davhub wrote:

Share>DVD> BURN....

I need this video to be seen by technicians (plumbers and so on)  so I prepared a DVD in order to let them see the movie in their houses (that's why the 25 fps and the DVD menus).

But, again if you suspect the problem is the "computational heaviness" I'm ready to drop to 720x576x15fps and something like MPEG2 codec (even if I prefer the H.264 one...)

I don't understand your comment about H264. or dropping frames to 15fps. As your required delivery output is DVD then your Share> DVD> Burn is the correct setting. All you need to do is select PAL (25fps) or NTSC (30fps). You should not need to eliminate titles or effects to make this work.

Several things:

• Where did the footage for your video come from and how did you get it into PRE?
                                          • What format is the source clip(s) - analyse with  GSpot or MediaInfo and post the screenshot please
                                          • What Project Setting did you use when you created this project?
                                          • When you first added the clip to your project did you have a redline running the length of the clip on the timeline?
                                          • Check that you have not placed a Stop marker at the very end of your timeline. PRE treats end of timeline as a stop marker and adding one manually is a common cause of burn failures.
                                          • Try burning your DVD to a file rather than direct to disk and post back to tell us if that worked or not.

Cheers,

--

Neale

• 18. Re: Premiere elements 4 crashes on title making
                                            Davhub Level 1

Hi Nealeh, my comment about "drop to H.264 codec and Fps meant: Since I have problems in exporting the video, I accept to have a AVI-MPG or whatever playable on PC instead of keeping on trying to do an impossibile thing (read: keep on going to want to obtain a DVD)

I'm running out of time...

anyway.. I'll try to let you know more about this project:

Footage origin: Samsung SD camcorder recorded in Sfine mode at 25 fps 720x576 res.

Importend in Pre: just opened the project list and target the folder (on the same HD and PC no network drives).

Gspot info: see below for one of the clips but consider the gspot utility is installed in another PC and not into the VAIO.

Project settings: I'll answer as soon as I could reach the VAIO.

Red lines: always when I bring a file to the timeline. As I reported before I tried to render separately the audio/video clips and the text clips

and both seems to render (the red lines turn green) perfectly.

I'll check the STOP marker asap

I tried to BURN to disc BUT.. BUT I obtained a bunch of files (the vob (TS_Video) but without the TS_Audio folder and a html+related folder

(the TS_audio folder probably is my mistake in exporting the audio and I did not care).

The very problem is I do not know which software should I Use to burn this files into a playable DVD (no Roxio installed on VAIO nor Nero into a PC)

It seems an Adobe program should manage this but, sincerely before to buy a software I wish to exaust all the possible options...

Thanks in advance

Gspot

gspotgrab.jpg

• 19. Re: Premiere elements 4 crashes on title making
                                              nealeh Level 5

Your burn to folder was successful. Use disk burning software to burn your VIDEO_TS to DVD (ensure you select the option for a media DVD - not data). As you don't have such software already installed use the completely free ImgBurn. (although I have other burning software I nearly always burn to folder and use ImgBurn as my burner of choice). You don't need an AUDIO_TS - the burning software will create it.

Cheers,

--

Neale

• 20. Re: Premiere elements 4 crashes on title making
                                                Davhub Level 1

Oh dear, I made so many tries I do not remember which file I exported, probably only the video files.

so, now it could be fundamental to export to disk the whole project...

Ah, just to know the prel files are opened by premiere PRO?

If everything fails I'm tempted to search for someone who works with PRO near to me and bring the project to him/her...

Thanks for sharing the utility!

Davhub

• 21. Re: Premiere elements 4 crashes on title making
                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

So long as the versions of PrE and PrPro, are somewhat coincidental, the PREL should Open in PrPro, with some exceptions:

• Some Transitions and Effects do not exist in PrPro
                                                  • Themes/Instant Movies do not exist in PrPro
                                                  • Third party Effects and Transitions probably do not exist in PrPro

Otherwise, the PREL should either Open, or Import into an existing PrPro Project. I can Open PREL's from PrE 4.0 in my PrPro 2.0 (they are fairly coincidental), but I could not Open PrE 8 or 9 PREL's in the older PrPro. Have not tried, say PrE 9, or 10 PREL's into PrPro CS5, but those should work, with some of the exceptions noted above.

Good luck, and please report,

Hunt

• 22. Re: Premiere elements 4 crashes on title making
                                                    Davhub Level 1

Dear Bill any attempt concerning this case it will be reported at the best I can. Be sure.

Before I try "the internal way" then, last shore, I'll search for external help..

Cheers

Davhub

• 23. Re: Premiere elements 4 crashes on title making
                                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Good luck, and just make sure that the Premiere versions are pretty close to each other. Not sure how broad the overlap would be, but the closer, the better, say PrE 10 PREL into PrPro CS 5.5.

Hunt

• 24. Re: Premiere elements 4 crashes on title making
                                                        Davhub Level 1

But I own a Prel 4.. so probably better to find someone with a CS 3 or previous..

but I think it worth a try with the version I'll find first.

Thanks again..

Davhub

• 25. Re: Premiere elements 4 crashes on title making
                                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, I had forgotten which version of PrE you had.

PrPro 2.0, and most likely CS3, should be able to handle that. Now, you will need to provide someone with both the PREL and all Assets, so you are probably looking at putting all of that onto an external HDD.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 26. Re: Premiere elements 4 crashes on title making
                                                            Davhub Level 1

Dear Bill and everybody following thi thread.

Finally I catched someone who own a CS3 Version of premiere.

I brought to him my HDD with all the files of the Prel project. and... and...

The picture below shows the result:

No timeline, but, fortunately thre's a scene inside the project tab.

no possibility to create a new timeline grabbing a movie clip onto the timeline tab.

so quite an unuseful project.

Before dropping all the efforts I selected the timeline inside the project tab, than File>Export>Media export.

I exported in DVD format mpeg 2, and obtained three files.

The Mpeg (in multiplexer option tab I selected DVD)

and two other: an XMPSES and one XMP.

I burn on the fly a DVD.. At least I have a playable DVD (I tested on a standard DVD player and a TV).

No menus, since I cannot manage the timeline created I did not want to redo the project from the scratch.

but, finally I solved the problem reaching my primary goal.

Davhub

prem.jpg

prem2.jpg

• 27. Re: Premiere elements 4 crashes on title making
                                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

In PrPro, from CS 3, through CS 5.5, when you Import a Project, the Sequence (Timeline) is in its Bin, in the Project Panel. To display that Sequence, you Dbl-click on it, in the Project Panel, and it will (or should) display.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 28. Re: Premiere elements 4 crashes on title making
                                                                Davhub Level 1

Shame... now I cannot try this VERY SIMPLE options but if it was like this... I'll bang my head on the wall...

Anyway... I'll let you know how it goes, since i have access to the PC where PRO is installed only on saturday...

Considering this option functional: so I'll see the entire project.

and problably the markers for menus.

Now I suspect that PRO does not have the built in feature to burn DVD complete with menu

(since this feature seems too for newbies for a PRO version).

Encore is the only choice?

If I saw well encore is not available there. so, what option do you suggest?

Thanks in advance.

Davhub

• 29. Re: Premiere elements 4 crashes on title making
                                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

As of PrPro CS 3, there is no longer a direct Burn to Disc. All authoring was removed from PrPro, and Adobe Encore, the great, full-featured authoring program, was added. Back in PrPro 2.0, there was rudimentary authoring, about what PrE has, or perhaps a little less. Then, one had to either buy Encore as a stand-alone, or get it in the Production Studio suite, which was named CS 2 Production Studio.

Now, the person with CS 3, also has the availability to Encore, though it might not have been installed. What I would do is complete your editing in PrPro CS 3, and then Export the Video as a DV-AVI, video-only file, and the Audio as a separate, audio-only PCM/WAV file @ 48KHz 16-bit. In Encore, create a New Project, in NTSC, or PAL, and either Widescreen, or Standard, to match your PrPro Project. Import the DV-AVI file as a Timeline, and then Import the PCM/WAV as an Asset. In Encore, go to the Project Panel, and drag the WAV file to that Timeline, where it will snap into place.

Add your Menus, and link to your Timeline, providing any navigation, that is necessary. Unlike PrE, which creates the navigation semi-automatically, after you choose the Menu Set, everything is done by hand in Encore, but it is not hard to do.

When you have completed your navigation, and added the number of Scene-Selection Menus, and the Main Menu, choose Check Project. If all is good there, Preview, remembering to Render any Motion Menus first. If all goes well there, then Burn to Disc.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - if you get hung up in Encore, there is a very active Encore Forum, with people standing by to help. See you there.

• 30. Re: Premiere elements 4 crashes on title making
                                                                    Davhub Level 1

Ahhh, The PRO suite!

But, just to be prepared before next saturday.. If I'll return to the PC and I find No encore installed

(video production of the studio is not in DVD segment as much as I concern).. do I have any othrer options

to have a DVD with menus?

thanks again, Bill..

Davhub

• 31. Re: Premiere elements 4 crashes on title making
                                                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

As of CS 3, one did not need to have one of the suites, as Encore was included in the installation of PrPro. That has been the case, all the way through CS 5.5, the current version. Now, it is a separate program, and it is likely that this person did not install it, but it will be on the PrPro installation DVD's.

Though it's a separate program, there was one major feature, Adobe Dynamic Link (ADL), that works between PrPro and Encore. Before CS 3, the only way to get ADL between the two programs WAS with the CS 2 Production Studio. The versions of PrPro and Encore in that old suite featured ADL. Now, all versions do, and ADL has been improved, version to version.

As ADL was still in its infancy, back with CS 3, I outlined the "old fashioned" way for getting the PrPro Timeline/Sequence into Encore - Export to DV-AVI, and then Import into Encore. [With CS 5.5, I would probably have mentioned ADL, as the preferred method, but CS 3's version of ADL had some issues, so I skipped that, in lieu of the Export/Import workflow.]

There are other authoring programs, like Sony's DVD Architect, but few have the power and control, that is built-into Encore.

Encore also interfaces with Photoshop, to customize the many Library Menus and Buttons, that install with Encore - it's truely a "match made in Heaven." I've used other DVD authoring apps., and none works so well, for me, as Encore does.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 32. Re: Premiere elements 4 crashes on title making
                                                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

If you do go with Adobe Encore, I strongly recommend Jeff Bellune's Focal Easy Guide to Adobe EncoreDVD 2.0, Focal Press. Do not let the title fool you. I know that your friend has Encore CS 3, but other than an improved ADL, and authoring BD's, Jeff's book covers all other aspects of Encore, and in great and useful detail. Even for people using Encore CS 5, I still recommend that book. It makes DVD authoring so very simple, and is filled with all sorts of useful tricks, to create "Hollywood" level discs.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 33. Re: Premiere elements 4 crashes on title making
                                                                          Davhub Level 1

Dear Bill as usual you are a pit of knowledge!

Many of the things you stated, considering my level of comprehension, are out of my reach, but

I will "work" on that.

Thank you very much again.

at now, since I have no time, I release a DVD to be seen as a single movie without "internal intelligence".

than as many things I'll try to find out the "way to perfection"

Thanks!

Davhub