3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2012 8:54 AM by Rick Gerard

use camera zooms only in nested comps, not parent comp?

lmaclanphere Level 1

hello

I recently received some advice on a project where I was having some vector art pixelization problems during camera zooms--I was told that camera zooms should not be made in the main comp, but that instead, they should be made in the precomps (or nested comps) to avoid this pixelization problem. It seems to me that AE should be able to propogate clean, illustrator vector graphics during camera zooms, all the way up to a main comp, through the use of the "continuously rasterize" and "collapse transformation" options.. but perhaps this is not so?

can anyone elaborate on this issue?

thanks

LML

• 1. Re: use camera zooms only in nested comps, not parent comp?
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If vector images are set to continuously rasterize you can scale them or push the camera into them as far as you like with no problems. If certain effects have been applied to your eps or ai files they will be rasterized when imported into AE so they will behave exactly like a raster image. There's nothing you can do about that. Turning CR on or off will have no effect. If CR isn't fixing the pixelization issues then you've applied a layer effect somewhere in the chain that's causing the image to rasterize. Sometimes these problems can be fixed by pre-composing and doing the scaling in the pre-comp (layer effects). Sometimes they can't. Most of the time, if the problem is in the Illustrator file you can fix it by editing the original and removing the layer effects applied in Illustrator.

You can change the antialiasing quality of vector graphics in the file interpretation options from faster to more accurate. You'll find it under More Options.

Screen Shot 2012-01-03 at 8.46.05 AM.png

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: use camera zooms only in nested comps, not parent comp?
            lmaclanphere Level 1

thanks Rick,

one of the Ai files I had trouble with had a placed raster within one of its layers--I am guessing this raster layer must have triggered the whole thing to rasterize in AE then?

LML

• 3. Re: use camera zooms only in nested comps, not parent comp?
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Most likely. Separate it out as layers in AE if you can and import as a comp.

BTW, only doing camera moves in nested comps is a very bad idea 99.7% of the time.