5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2012 2:34 PM by Peter Spier

Auto page #ing for a catalog

Andrea Russell

I have used the auto page # function for a catalog I am designing. But here is my issue

It is counting the cover page as Page #1. But I do not want to start page #ing until the 3rd page which is the first page with real content. So instead of 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 I want it to be x, x, x, 2, 3

Does that make sense? Is there an easy fix for this?

• 1. Re: Auto page #ing for a catalog
          SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

First select what is now page one in the pages pallete, and go to Layout>Numbering and section Options.

Change the style to roman numerals, or anything except the numbering style you want for your numbered pages.

Then chose the fourth page in the pages pallete, and set it up like this: Check Start Section and select Start page numbering at: (change this number to 2.

Picture 2.png

• 2. Re: Auto page #ing for a catalog
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

In the pages panel, right-click the page you want tto use to start numbering and choose Numbering and Section Options, and in the resulting dialog start a new section and change the start number to 1. ID will complain that the number is already in use, which is OK, but you should then go back to the first page of the first section (the original page 1) and open the numbering and section option for that page. This time change the style of the numbers to something else, like roman numerals or letters, and all will be fine.

• 3. Re: Auto page #ing for a catalog
              Andrea Russell Level 1

thank you!!! problem solved...

• 4. Re: Auto page #ing for a catalog
                photojnki

I need more help... I adjusted the page #s fine yesterday but have run into another issue.... Attached is a photo of my pages palette. What I want to do is have page 4 on my pages palatte by my PAGE 3. It is not allowing me to do this... is the way I have it set up not going to allow me to do what I am wanting? I basically don't want the cover to be considered page 1. I want page 2 to be page 1.

Screen Shot 2012-01-04 at 2.22.39 PM.png

• 5. Re: Auto page #ing for a catalog
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You can do this by turning off "allow pages to shuffle" for any spread that you want the odd number pages to be on the left, but it's not really the best thing to do. Readers expect the odd numbers on the right, and that's why ID builds the spreads this way.