• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Remote Server Settings

New Here ,
Jan 03, 2012 Jan 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First off, I have been using ColdFusion for over 10 years and have a very comfortable and familiar workflow using Dreamweaver. I have been interested in using the new ColdFusion Builder and Builder 2. I have tried setting up CF Builder a least half a dozen times over the last several years and just get so frustrated that I give up. Trying to set up a Remote Server is so confusing to me that I just give up. I don't know anything about J2EE except that I think I installed it by default when I upgraded from CF5 to CF8 on my Windows 2003 server. None of the tutorials out there are making any sense to me and many of them assume that you are setting up a local server (which I am not). Can someone please help me to understand the correct settings to set up a Remote Server in ColdFusion Builder 2?

I have CF8 installed on a Windows 2003 server with mostly default settings. My Websites and CFIDE directories are located on a separate partition but my ColdFusion8 directory is on the root. I am running IIS as my web server and I do believe that I have RDS set up.

I would appreciate a step-by-step orientation on how to set this up because, although I can follow a cook book, I prefer to understand the whats and why of what I am doing. Any help is appreciated! Thanks...

-Rob

TOPICS
Builder

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One good first step... that I was made aware of by Ben Forta in one of his videos... is to install a developer copy of ColdFusion on the local PC.

Then... CFBuilder can talk to CF via local host.

This step helps to isolate pesky firewall and anti-virus settings.

Of course, this is easier to to do if the developer is using Windows 7, rather than Mac.

Also... there is a CFB pdf manual available for download from Adobe.

CF is now version 9 and after it is installed... I believe that there is at least one service pack.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have considered that process but the screens are different and it really doesn't get me any closer to understanding how to connect remotely...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2012 Jan 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use several different work stations (computers) on multiple networks and need to be able to work on my "projects" from anywhere. Installing on a local computer just does not work for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 11, 2012 Jan 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi There,

I am also trying to install ColdFusion Builder and it is very frustrating.

Local environment:

Windows 7 + ColdFusion Builder 2 Std.

OS X Lion + ColdFusion Bulder 2 Std.

Remote environment:

Windows 2008 R2 + ColdFusion 9 (standalone)

• After starting CFB2, find Servers view. (Window > Show View > Servers)
  • Assuming a new server is to be set, click Add Server button. A pop-up window "Server Settings" appears. The following fields are entered:
    • Server Name: whatever meaningful to you.
    • Description: for you as well.
    • Application Server: I am using the standalone settings, so I keep the option Jrun. The documentation said some CFB2 functions won't work for other App Server.
    • Host Name: the IP or host name of my ColdFusion server. If it is not localhost, the radio button below will change from Is Local to Is Remote. Anyway, make sure it is selected accordingly.
    • WebServer Port: I am serving at 80. If you are using Development Edition, it is possible the port is 8500.
    • J2EE Settings: is omitted for me. If you are install a multi-instance (not standalone), this box will be important.
    • Other Settings: I am using the default RDS settings during ColdFusion server installation, so...
      • RDS User Name: leave it blank.
      • RDS Password: enter the one during ColdFusion server installation.
    • Enable SSL: not for now.
    • Auto Start/Stop: not for now
  • Next "Remote Server Settings":
    • Naming Port: I don't know what it is, frankly, so I keep the default 2910.
    • Username: admin. (You can find the values of these two boxes at: ${ColdFusionProgramFile}\runtime\servers\admin\SERVER-INF\jrun-users.xml)
    • Password: admin.
    • Document Root: C:\inetpub\wwwroot
  • "Mappings":
    • Local Path: my local development folder
    • Remote Path: remote folder that stores the CF sites/pages
    • URL Prefix: prefix to access the Remote Path at the web server.
  • "Virtual Host Settings": blank for me.
  • "Install Extensions": uncheck "Install Extensions" at this time.

After all these, the right bottom corner shows "Getting server status of ..." and need to wait quite a while for the Status turns to Runing from Unknown. Then, the RDS Dataview and RDS Fileview show the structure of my remote server.

My issue is: I can see and create/edit files from RDS Fileview, but why I cannot upload my local files to the server via RDS like Dreamweaver? This is very disappointed. I am going to initialize another thread for discussion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation