7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2012 11:32 PM by Manish-Sharma

InDesign Cs5.5 display weirdness

wordbird3000

hi. recently i've encountered an odd issue while working in InDesign Cs5.5 (i'm on a Quad Core Intel Mac).

I've got multiple InDesign documents open, Smart Guides turned on, moving layout elements from one InDesign document to the other, let's call them Document A and Document B...

if i use the gap tool, and then return to using another tool, i still get the gap tool 'arrows' highlighting various page elements, and soon after that elements from Document A start 'appearing' in Document 'B', especially when i toggle back and forth between Normal and Preview mode. it becomes almost impossible to do anything constructive with Document A because anytime i select something, elements from Document B are 'superimposed' over elements in Document A.

Anybody else experienced this? i'm assuming it's just a weird display issue, but...

thanks

• 1. Re: InDesign Cs5.5 display weirdness
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Have you tried rebooting?

• 2. Re: InDesign Cs5.5 display weirdness
            wordbird3000 Level 1

yes. but the issue keeps occuring...

• 3. Re: InDesign Cs5.5 display weirdness
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I don't recall anyone else reporting this sort of thing as a recurring problem. Might be your video card or the drivers.

• 4. Re: InDesign Cs5.5 display weirdness
                John Hawkinson Level 5

Woodbird:

Do you know what's necessary to reproduce this problem?

Are you using the latest update of CS5.5, 7.5.2?

I'm not sure what it means to move layout elements between documents -- are you using cut-and-paste? Drag-and-drop?

Also, you mention the gap tool and "returning" to using another tool. Are you using springloaded shortcuts? Holding down U with the pointer selected? Holding down V with the gap tool selected? Or...something else entirely?

Can you capture a screenshot of the problematic behavior?

I fiddle around with two documents and the gap tool and wasn't able to make anything like this happen.

• 5. Re: InDesign Cs5.5 display weirdness
                  wordbird3000 Level 1

Hi John. the problem has reared it's ugly head again, but this time i've captured a screen movie of the behaviour.

To answer your questions: Yes, i am running the latest InDesign update. I have multiple InDesign files open, and occasionally i am copying/pasting elements from one document to another.

I do often use keyboard shortcuts to toggle from one tool to the next, as well as clicking on specific tools in the toolbar.

We've tried switching to 'typical' from 'high quality' display to see if that made any difference, but the issue occurs either way.

Anyway, here is a movie of the issue:

http://db.tt/84Ul3LcI

cheers

• 6. Re: InDesign Cs5.5 display weirdness
                    wordbird3000 Level 1

hi. recently i've encountered an odd issue while working in InDesign Cs5.5 (i'm on a Quad Core Intel Mac).

I've got multiple InDesign documents open, Smart Guides turned on, moving layout elements from one InDesign document to the other, let's call them Document A and Document B...

if i use the gap tool, and then return to using another tool, i still get the gap tool 'arrows' highlighting various page elements, and soon after that elements from Document A start 'appearing' in Document 'B', especially when i toggle back and forth between Normal and Preview mode. it becomes almost impossible to do anything constructive with Document A because anytime i select something, elements from Document B are 'superimposed' over elements in Document A.

i am running the latest InDesign update. I have multiple InDesign files open, and occasionally i am copying/pasting elements from one document to another.

I do often use keyboard shortcuts to toggle from one tool to the next, as well as clicking on specific tools in the toolbar.

We've tried switching to 'typical' from 'high quality' display to see if that made any difference, but the issue occurs either way.

Anyway, here is a movie of the issue:

http://db.tt/84Ul3LcI

• 7. Re: InDesign Cs5.5 display weirdness
                      Manish-Sharma Employee Moderator

Are you using teh wireless mouse, if yes then please check with the wired mouse