11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2012 11:43 AM by D Fosse

Pshop/Mac ~ how to get rid of transparent background?

Bananzaman Level 1

hi Folks,

I've recently changed from the PC world to MAC, loving every minute of it actually, but

the odd problem comes up.

I'm running PS CS3 on snow leopard X and pshop has a transparent background, meaning I can see my desktop and all other apps, icons and windows open; pshop tools and gadgets are scattered around, and visually it's a mess.

I really liked the solid background on the windows app; is there any way to restore this type of background on my mac?

thanks,

Bz

• 1. Re: Pshop/Mac ~ how to get rid of transparent background?
          Level 7

That's normal on Macintosh.  Turn on the App Frame if you like the Windows way of obscuring all your other work.

• 2. Re: Pshop/Mac ~ how to get rid of transparent background?
            Bananzaman Level 1

what is the "App Frame" ...?

• 3. Re: Pshop/Mac ~ how to get rid of transparent background?
              Level 7

The Application Frame is the thing you were asking about that makes Photoshop look like a Windows app, even on the Macintosh.

Launch Photoshop, go to the Window menu, scroll down to Application Frame and turn it on.

• 4. Re: Pshop/Mac ~ how to get rid of transparent background?
                Bananzaman Level 1

there is no such choice on the WINDOW menu of CS3 for Mac

• 5. Re: Pshop/Mac ~ how to get rid of transparent background?
                  Level 7

Sorry, I misread your version number.

Yeah, CS3 is too old to have that option -- it was added in CS4.

• 6. Re: Pshop/Mac ~ how to get rid of transparent background?
                    Bo LeBeau Level 4

As Chris Cox said, that's the normal Macintosh way. It probably bothers you because you are used to seeing it differently on Windows.

To hide all the other applications, go to the Photoshop menu, Hide Others.

If you don't like seeing icons on the desktop, clear up the desktop and put the files away.

If you still don't like the desktop showing, go to Photoshop menu, Preferences, General, deselect the Zoom Resizes Windows box.

When you open an image, you can manually drag the lower right corner to enlarge the window containing your image.

When you do this your image will be centered in the window surrounded by a gray background,

If necessary you can move your image window beneath your toolbar and panels to cover any remaining view of the desktop.

This is a workaround, but if the view really bothers you at least you know a way to avoid it.

Trust me, this mainly bothers you because its not like WIndows.

After a while, you won't even notice the desktop.

One advantage of the Mac way is the ability of view more than one open application at the same time. I can have in image in Photoshop open on the left side of the screen and a vector illustration open in Illustrator on the right.

Hide-desktop.jpg

• 7. Re: Pshop/Mac ~ how to get rid of transparent background?
                      Level 5

Bo LeBeau wrote:

...One advantage of the Mac way is the ability of view more than one open application at the same time. I can have in image in Photoshop open on the left side of the screen and a vector illustration open in Illustrator on the right.

That is not a Mac advantage. Multiple apps can share the desktop on Windows too.

Mac users, without any knowledge of how things work on Windows, may choose to focus on one application without clutter from other elements. There are several utilities that have been around to help in this regard. One example is Think, created by a very Mac-centric company.

• 8. Re: Pshop/Mac ~ how to get rid of transparent background?
                        PECourtejoie Adobe Community Professional

If you hit F several times, you will change the screen mode... It might help you to be in full screen mode with menu bar.

• 9. Re: Pshop/Mac ~ how to get rid of transparent background?
                          Bananzaman Level 1

thanks to all for offering help on this.  Marian,  your suggestion of using this fabulous little utility called "Think" is the best I've got so far.  I like the pure black background it generates.  Their philosophy is right on: we're turning into little multi-tasking robotic machines with rapidly-shrinking attention spans.  The less visible clutter and un-needed crap about, the happier is me.  Namaste!

• 10. Re: Pshop/Mac ~ how to get rid of transparent background?
                            Noel Carboni Level 8

Bananzaman, you might find current direction changes of computing in general to be to your liking.

While some of us like multitasking, it seems more folks are like you, and the major players are moving more and more to "one app on the screen" philosophies...  Tablets/pads in general do this, and we even see major OS direction shifts (Windows 8 Metro, for example, is pretty much one app per screen).

Problem is, for those of us dinosaurs who DO love to multitask, and get multiple apps all over multiple big monitors, they're closing off some of the advantages to doing that kind of work to us in the new systems.

Just using my wife's iPad I find myself keeping mental track of the other apps that are running, though they try to make it so you shouldn't try to do that.

-Noel

• 11. Re: Pshop/Mac ~ how to get rid of transparent background?
                              D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This is interesting.

I recently found myself disconnecting the secondary monitor at work, and for precisely this reason: I discovered that I could concentrate better with less clutter. It doesn't feel restricting at all, much to my surprise I should say. I also found I could cut down the number of open panels drastically, to the point where it's now only a single row on the right hand side, with a couple more tabbed.

Same with InDesign and Illustrator, which I use more sporadically.

I think it has to do with not having to look away constantly, which in itself kills concentration. In addition I'm now using keyboard shortcuts much more.