10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2012 3:18 PM by Dave LaRonde

Sony NEX-5N AVCHD 2.0 1080p50 and Premiere Pro/After Effects CS5.5

sn5n

Hi all,

I have a new Sony NEX-5N and have shot some test 1080p50 video using it.

On my quest for some new editing/production software to close the loop I have just downloaded and installed a Trial Version of CS5.5 Production Premium.

I am able to load my video files into Premiere Pro.

However, when I attempt to open the Video File in After Effects, I recieve the following Error message:

After Effects error: '00023.MTS' cannot be imported - this '.mts' file is damaged or unsupported.

I have tried renaming the extension to .MPG, .M4V, .M2TS all with exactly the same result.

Perhaps this is a limitation of the Trial Version or perhaps a limitation of After Effects CS5.5.  Is anyone able to advise?

As extra information I include below the TEXT output from MediaInfo for the file I am able to load into Premiere Pro CS5.5 but not After Effects.

Thanks.

General

ID                               : 0 (0x0)

Complete name                    : F:\AVI\Video\SourceMedia\00023.MTS

Format                           : BDAV

Format/Info                      : Blu-ray Video

File size                        : 61.8 MiB

Duration                         : 19s 616ms

Overall bit rate mode            : Variable

Overall bit rate                 : 26.4 Mbps

Maximum Overall bit rate         : 28.0 Mbps

Video

ID                               : 4113 (0x1011)

Menu ID                          : 1 (0x1)

Format                           : AVC

Format/Info                      : Advanced Video Codec

Format profile                   : High@L4.2

Format settings, CABAC           : Yes

Format settings, ReFrames        : 2 frames

Format settings, GOP             : M=1, N=12

Codec ID                         : 27

Duration                         : 19s 680ms

Bit rate mode                    : Variable

Bit rate                         : 25.1 Mbps

Maximum bit rate                 : 26.0 Mbps

Width                            : 1 920 pixels

Height                           : 1 080 pixels

Display aspect ratio             : 16:9

Frame rate                       : 50.000 fps

Color space                      : YUV

Chroma subsampling               : 4:2:0

Bit depth                        : 8 bits

Scan type                        : Progressive

Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.242

Stream size                      : 58.8 MiB (95%)

Audio

ID                               : 4352 (0x1100)

Format                           : AC-3

Format/Info                      : Audio Coding 3

Mode extension                   : CM (complete main)

Codec ID                         : 129

Duration                         : 19s 680ms

Bit rate mode                    : Constant

Bit rate                         : 256 Kbps

Channel(s)                       : 2 channels

Channel positions                : Front: L R

Sampling rate                    : 48.0 KHz

Bit depth                        : 16 bits

Compression mode                 : Lossy

Stream size                      : 615 KiB (1%)

Text

ID                               : 4608 (0x1200)

Format                           : PGS

Codec ID                         : 144

Duration                         : 19s 135ms

• 1. Re: Sony NEX-5N AVCHD 2.0 1080p50 and Premiere Pro/After Effects CS5.5
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

AVCHD is always problematic in AE. I would transcode the shots you want to process in AE to a suitable production codec. I would give you more details if I were at a computer.

• 2. Re: Sony NEX-5N AVCHD 2.0 1080p50 and Premiere Pro/After Effects CS5.5
            Tim Kurkoski Adobe Employee

Can you post a sample file that exhibits the problem so that I could try the clip on my machine?  If the file is small enough, you can e-mail it to me; please DM.  In theory, if this file imports into Premiere Pro then it should import into AE.  I don't have access to that particular camera, but I do have some older Sony NEX model footage which imports into AE wihtout a problem, so I want to know what's different about the file you're using.

Other question: Is it just this one file that fails to import or is it all files from that camera?

Also, contrary to Rick's advice, there is no problem in general with using AVCHD or other compressed file formats in After Effects.  AE uses the same decoding software components that Premiere Pro uses.  Historically, that has not necessarily been the case, and previous versions of AE (I'd go back as far as CS3 and previous) experienced occasional decoding problems with long-GOP and other temporally compressed file types.  But that has greatly improved, especially in CS5. There are other reasons why you might not want to use highly compressed file types in your workflow (they're still slower to decode, for example), so consider that in your workflow.

• 3. Re: Sony NEX-5N AVCHD 2.0 1080p50 and Premiere Pro/After Effects CS5.5
              sn5n Level 1

Hi and thanks, this is exactly what I am looking for :-)

Tim Kurkoski wrote:

Other question: Is it just this one file that fails to import or is it all files from that camera?

All of the clips I have recorded fail to import to AE but work in PPro

Tim Kurkoski wrote:

Can you post a sample file that exhibits the problem so that I could try the clip on my machine?

I just recorded 4 seconds of a clock pendulum swinging, surprisingly the file was 20Mb!?!?  Anyway, I have made the file available for download at the following location:

http://andrew.net.au/~rowan/avchd/00032.MTS

You can browse the directory at http://andrew.net.au/~rowan/avchd/ if you need to "right-click" and save as.

I am hoping it is a limitation of the trial as I have noticed a few other "gotchas" with the trial version.

Thanks for the advice about video format, I have noticed that my computer (Core 2 Duo) is very slow to process the H.264 stream, PremierePro cannot play the 30sec stream in realtime (starts to stutter around 23sec) and After Effects starts its stutter almost immediately (both just playing the stream with no effects) - that said WindowsMediaPlayer has no problem playing the same stream at full speed.  I am however reluctant to do any transcoding except to a lossless format as it seems counter intuitive - but this will be the subject of another post, as I don't want to clutter this one.

Thanks again.

• 4. Re: Sony NEX-5N AVCHD 2.0 1080p50 and Premiere Pro/After Effects CS5.5

Thanks for the file. I'll take a look at it soon.

Regarding limitations of the CS5.5 trial, the only components After Effects lacks are some third-party plug-ins. Todd has a good writeup about this. Premiere Pro is, I believe, similar: all codecs should be functional for import and export. What gotchas are you seeing with the trial?

Regarding stuttery playback of your AVCHD streams, Premiere Pro and AE use very different playback mechanisms, so there's no single answer here. Premiere Pro will attempt to play back the stream as close to real-time as it can, dropping resolution and/or frames as necessary to keep speed. To troubleshoot performance problems with Premiere Pro, you probably want to start a thread on that forum.

In the case of After Effects, AE requires that frames be cached to memory before it can play them in real-time. It's typical to get slow playback off the bat for high-res footage, especially if your system is slow. Remember to use RAM Preview, and not spacebar playback for best results. However, let's clarify "stutter".  If you mean it doesn't progress forward from frame to frame at an even pace, that may be a result of the variable speed of decoding+caching the frames. But if you're getting random jumpiness, or especially if you're seeing frames from both forwards and backwards in time, that could indicate a decoding problem that we need to investigate.  Please let me know what you're seeing.

• 5. Re: Sony NEX-5N AVCHD 2.0 1080p50 and Premiere Pro/After Effects CS5.5
                  sn5n Level 1

Tim Kurkoski wrote:

What gotchas are you seeing with the trial?

1) Media Encoder only worked once - now it reports an error that it's parrent application is not activated.

2) Trying to "link" between AE and PPro reports that "This feature needs CS5.5 Production Premium" of which I have the trial

3) Warp Stablizer does not work, reporting "timed out while trying to connect to DynamicLink subsystem"

Thinking it was just my computer I completely reinstalled Windows 7 and the Trial, but the same issue existed.

I have found information/notes on all of these in various Internet forums, with the exception of issue (3), the authors of the other articles indicated that the feature started working as soon as they purchased a license.  With regard to (3) I am not concerned about this, if it turns out to be a problem after licensing it will be the first incident I raise out of my "free incidents", I have watched plenty of demos on WarpStablizer to know that it does what I need.  These problems may be related to the fact that I, several months ago, installed Master Collection, then I discovered very quickly that I needed a decent camera before I even concerned myself with the choice of software hence here I am again.

The only moot point at the moment is the importing of AVCHD 1080p50 into AE which is the basis of this post.  If it is determined that this can not be done then my focus will shift to a new post on what I should be converting my videos too and how best to do it.

With regard to the stutter it absolutely is to do with my PCs performance not the application - the CPU goes to 100%.  I was not aware of the "RAM Preview" option in AE, thank you, this now plays in realtime once it has "rendered to memory", likewise in PPro I just discovered the "Preview Render" feature which also plays back in realtime.  So all good on that front :-)

Thanks again and I look forward to hearing about the AE AVCHD issue.

• 6. Re: Sony NEX-5N AVCHD 2.0 1080p50 and Premiere Pro/After Effects CS5.5
                    Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You may have bumped up against licensing issues with the trial. Not all codecs are supported.

• 7. Re: Sony NEX-5N AVCHD 2.0 1080p50 and Premiere Pro/After Effects CS5.5

Actually, Rick, that changed with CS5.5. The trial version no longer limits codecs for import and export. The only limitations, beyond the 30-day window, are that some of the third-party plug-ins aren't installed until you enter a serial number. Todd's writeup has the details.

Regarding the problem OP is having with the trial, it DOES sound like something's gone haywire in the licensing subsystem. That AME won't launch and Dynamic Link between AE and Premiere Pro isn't working both indicate licensing problems.

The problem with Warp Stabilizer is curious, though. It does rely on Dynamic Link technology but has no licensing requirement like the AE-Premiere link. So this could be a different problem from the licensing issue or there could be something non-licensing related that is giving Dynamic Link headaches in general.

You said you reinstalled Windows 7 and the trial - are all three problems still occurring after that? Did you install anything else? Firewall, anti-virus, etc.?

Getting back to the problem... I tried the AVCHD file you posted. It imports fine into After Effects CS5.5 for me. (Non-trial, but again, that shouldn't be an issue.) Pendulum, curtains, blue painting around the corner, it's all there.

Do you have problems importing any other files?

My observation is that the level of breakage in AE on your machine is pretty high, so I wonder if there's not something deeper as a root cause.  Is this a standard Win7 install? Local user (not network-based)? Anything else special you can think of about your config?

• 8. Re: Sony NEX-5N AVCHD 2.0 1080p50 and Premiere Pro/After Effects CS5.5
                        sn5n Level 1

Hi Tim,

Could you please confirm that your system that you tested this file on was Windows 7?

I have been able to transcode this file to a MP4 using FFMPEG and it imports seamlessly into AE, I have not found any other file types that fail to import.  I am however against transcoding although not for any sound reason other than that it seems counter-intuitive although I have not been able to decern with my eyes any visible difference between the MP4 and the original!!  Although the files size more than halves!!!  Perhaps I am being overly conerned about image loss.

With regard to the issues I am seeing, I have now tried the reinstall two more times, the results are consistent.  Media Encoder plays ONCE, Warp Stabliser does not work and AE-Premiere link does not work.

1. Windows 7 wSP1 + CS5.5 Production Premium + QuickTime

2. Windows 7 wSP1 + all Windows Updates + CS5.5 Production Premium + QuickTime

3. Number 2 with all Adobe Updates applied

It's a stock standard install straight off OEM Media, manually formatting the hard drive and going through the install process - nothing else gets installed.  I am not redownloading the Adobe Install Media, I have this on another disc.

Interestingly Warp Stabliser did work ONCE several days ago.  It has not worked since - in any of the installs.

I think these issues are purely academic - given the 30-day trial period has now expired - I guess because I downloaded Master Edition some months back - although it continually allows me "one last launch" ;-) I would ask that you not worry about these - it is above and beyond the call of duty. I have made a decision to purchase Production Premium which I will do after my canoeing trip next week as I'll then have some footage to play with.

If I still have the same problems after purchasing then I'll be back here in a flash to resolve them!

Thanks.

• 9. Re: Sony NEX-5N AVCHD 2.0 1080p50 and Premiere Pro/After Effects CS5.5

Could you please confirm that your system that you tested this file on was Windows 7?

Windows 7 64-bit Enterprise.  I also successfully opened the file in AE on my Mac (OS 10.6.8).

Your system sounds pretty clean to me, so I'm at a loss to suggest why the problem is occurring.  Possibly a bad download of the Production Premium installer; I don't think that's likely but it's the only variable I've got right now.

Perhaps I am being overly conerned about image loss.

To be concerned about image loss is not irrational.  But AE and Premiere can work with the AVCHD files, thus eliminating the need for intermediates.  I'm just at a loss right now as to why your trial isn't reading the files, and my intuition is that this problem is tied to the other issues you're experiencing.

Given the 30-day trial period has now expired - although it continually allows me "one last launch" ;-)

Truly weird. Pretty sure the licensing system is borked.

I have made a decision to purchase Production Premium which I will do after my canoeing trip next week as I'll then have some footage to play with.

Glad to hear.  I do worry that whatever is causing these issues may be inherent to the system and will not necessarily go away with the full version. But we'll get you sorted out if they recur.

Worth noting that when you buy Production Premium, you'll get a serial number and can plug that into the trial. On next launch AE will prompt to install the bits that were locked off by the trial.  However, given the problems and my grasping-at-straws suggestion above, maybe you should download the installer again after purchase and do a clean install from that.

• 10. Re: Sony NEX-5N AVCHD 2.0 1080p50 and Premiere Pro/After Effects CS5.5
                            Dave LaRonde Level 6

Would it be wise to run the Adobe Cleaner Utility prior to re-downloading, considering the OP's situation?