• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash Player must be reinstalled every time I restart FireFox

New Here ,
Jan 03, 2012 Jan 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I run Fire Fox (9.0) and I cannot get Flash to operate websites until I reinstall it (the latest version) and restart FF.  Then the websites will work but only for that web session.  When I restart FF the same issue reoccurs – Flash must be reinstalled in order to work.  I came across another solution (a total fluke) but it is temporary as well.  Here it is – I find the latest version of the file “macromedia.com” and delete it.  Then I can reload the webpage that is hanging and all is well.  This file is found at C:\Users\Owner\Appdata\Roaming\Macromedia  I am not sure why that works but it does.  But it is not a real fix, it could be a clue however.   I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling both Flash and FF to no avail.  I am using window 7 on an i7 64 bit processor.  Go easy on me with the tech jargon, I am not a “computer guy” just a bloke looking to get it back to the way it was before it broke.

Thanks

Later on ... Please allow me to add a bit more to the story.  When I download the lastest version of flash and install it, FF works.  When I relaunch FF I cannot simply reinstall the latest downloaded version of Flash in my "download" list.  It is basically unuseable and I must download the entire package again to get Flash back up and running.  The second method discribed above has an additional twist, I must wait until FF is up and running (because a new "macromedia.com" file is created a launch) then delete the “macromedia.com" file then it will work.  Goofy - so I put a shortcut to the folder on my desktop and I can delete at will.  What a pain!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 04, 2012 Jan 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suggest that youn do a clean install using the 64-bit uninstaller and installer from the links in http://forums.adobe.com/thread/909550

If your problem persists, can you tell us something more about that 'macromedia.com' file - size, and what it contains (open it with Notepad)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the uninstall and fresh install did not do anything to improve the situation.

And i just noticed that I misspoke about the macromedia.com file - it is not a file but a folder that contains other folders in the following manner C:\Users\Owner\Appdata\Roaming\Macromedia\Flash Player\macromedia.com\support\flashpayer\sys

The bold folder is the one I delete.  This folder in total is quite small 8 kb.  In the last sys folder there are two more folders one called #s.nsdsvc.com and #s.ytimg.com and a file call settings.sol

So, I am going to do some more testing with this and give even more specifics very soon. 

After poking around a bit....when I delete this setting.sol file everything starts working as it should.  This file appearantly is my "work/no work switch".  I was just deleting more than I need to with the macromedia.com folder zap. The same problem of flash not working still persists but I have it narrowed down to this settings.sol file.  Is there something in my flash settings that can be flipped on or off to make this problem go away?  I feel that I am close to a solution...maybe.

Here is the information found in that file settings.sol (copied from notepad so it is a little garbled with tabs):

¿   ßTCSO   settings gain @I    echosuppression     defaultmicrophone
defaultcamera
defaultklimit @Y   
defaultalways     windowlessDisable     autoUpdateDisabled     autoUpdateDefaultUpdated     autoUpdateInterval @     autoUpdateLastCheck BsJÄÀ‡ crossdomainAllow     crossdomainAlways     secureCrossDomainCacheSize ¿ð    allowThirdPartyLSOAccess     trustedPaths      safefullscreen     disallowP2PUplink     domains   s.ytimg.com    

Truly greek to me.

Message was edited by: EricP010312

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That is the file where the Flash Player settings are kept.

Can you try to change some of the settings from

http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager03.html - check all 8 tabs for things that may apply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines