17 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2012 1:58 AM by Gojak

Looking for a 3D engine

Dotan69

Hi

im looking for a 3D engine that i can play on cell phones like iphone and android is there somthing like that?

• 1. Re: Looking for a 3D engine
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

check away3d and papervision3d but you'll need to do a lot of testing and use limited 3d.  you should also use as3, not as2.

• 2. Re: Looking for a 3D engine
            Gojak Level 1

Hi,

If you want to use this for AR, these samples have proven to be most stable and have best marker detection, in my opinion. (Flash builder needed): http://3dvrm.com/flar/

For other use you can try http://away3d.com/tutorials/

All the best,

• 3. Re: Looking for a 3D engine
              Dotan69 Level 1

ive checked papervision the thing is that it wont work on cell phones that using flash

also when i use a poly model with about 50000 it moves real slow

is there an engine that works on html5 also?

• 4. Re: Looking for a 3D engine

no matter what you choose, you're going to have performance issues because of the anemic capabilities of cell phones.  html5 performance is even more problematic than flash.

• 5. Re: Looking for a 3D engine
                  Dotan69 Level 1

So what is my best option?

i wanna export a 3D model from a 3D package and move it around

the problem with papervision is it real slow with high polygons and cant show a model with no texture

what about UNITY3D or Stage3D?

thanx

• 6. Re: Looking for a 3D engine

try them.  i don't think you'll get satisfactory results no matter what you use unless your severly limit what you're trying to do.

• 7. Re: Looking for a 3D engine
                      Dotan69 Level 1

I dont really under stand

which of them have the best performance?

is one better then the other?

• 8. Re: Looking for a 3D engine

i don't think any of the them are going to perform adequately on a mobile platform.

• 9. Re: Looking for a 3D engine
                          Gojak Level 1

Kglad is right. you will have poor performance. In any case you HAVE to use low poly models. Model with more than 50000 is way too big (POSER PRO model?). You can try to use Polygon Cruncher and save file as 3DS, remap textures and you can reduce 40MB model to less tha 900kb, depends... All game engines use low poly models. For a solution without flash you can try Unity 3D, it should have solid engine for mobile platforms, I think, but you will need solid knowledge of one of programming languages... Try to search web for Mobile SDK or something like that.

• 10. Re: Looking for a 3D engine
                            Dotan69 Level 1

Thanx guys

the main purpose is web browser but would like it to work on mobile aswell

other forums also suggested Unity3D what engine is that if not flash?

will it work on a browser?

and like i said this is not for a game its for displaying 3D models

what whould you choose?

• 11. Re: Looking for a 3D engine
                              Gojak Level 1

Using just Flash (or Flash Builder or Flash Developer)  requires that you use some of libraries that goes with certain SDK. Try Alternativa 3D  http://alternativaplatform.com/en/technologies/alternativa3d/  or Away3D http://away3d.com/

Papervision3D project is no longer active. It is all same to you, which one you use, the difference is that they come from different sources, but basically they both will give you the same result. The size of published project depends on models, scene, animation and textures. That's why you need low poly models. If you want to use animated models for flash you will have to use Collada DAE models and import DAE parsers within code, not Collada parsers. You can also display 3DS , MD2 or Collada DAE as static object. And... we can talk about this until tomorrow. You need to explore this on your own.

Unity 3d is a simplified game engine, you can use it for displaying models, navigating 3d scene or you can try to create some games. When I say simplified I mean you have graphic interface and world display and you can see what you are doing before publishing.  It uses Unity Web Player to display content in browsers (just like flash has it's own player). With free version you can do a lot of stuff. http://unity3d.com/ and you can create mobile version as well.

If you are not familiar with building 3D flash project Unity 3D could be a better (FASTER) solution for you. In a day or two you can finish what you want, and performance will be much better since it is real game engine. Again it depends what you need. Check this out http://gojak.in.rs/Scripts/rhainfalken.html

This is a simple drag and drop scene in Unity 3D without a single code line. Just something I started a couple years ago, just wanted to diplay some stuff in interesting way.

Now you need to do some web-search for all 3 possibilities and see for your self what better suits you. All the best,

• 12. Re: Looking for a 3D engine
                                Dotan69 Level 1

Thanx man

the thing is i have a a guy that knows flash and he started playing with papervision3D

Unity3D is good but its not an open source and i want to integrate the engine into my own player

comparing to papervision which is an open source code

you think i should not use papervision???

what about this new stage3D?

• 13. Re: Looking for a 3D engine
                                  Gojak Level 1

It looks awesome, but I haven't tried that. Take a look under "Frameworks and libraries for Stage 3D"  http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashplayer/stage3d.html. It uses Alternativa3D and Away 3D and bunch of other stuff. Give it a shot, it looks promising.

It probably solves issue with flash rendering performance. If I find some free time maybe I will also give it a shot

All the best,

• 14. Re: Looking for a 3D engine
                                    Dotan69 Level 1

Ill check into that

just to help me out elimating other engines do you think im wasting my time on papervision?

• 15. Re: Looking for a 3D engine
                                      Gojak Level 1

I think Papervision project is outdated, last time it was updated in 2009. Please try a couple of engines, compare it and you will find what is best for your project. Leave it aside for now and try that Stage3D. Try to find a free sample project similar to what you will be using and start from that. I really don't know what else to tell you. You have to decide on your own.

• 16. Re: Looking for a 3D engine
                                        Dotan69 Level 1

Thank you

• 17. Re: Looking for a 3D engine
                                          Gojak Level 1

No problem, all the best.