17 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2012 3:48 PM by Jeff Bellune

Yet Another Low CPU Usage Question

NS2HD

Hi everyone!

I know, I know... I am committing a sin asking this question. But I have searched and searched, and can't find a solution anywhere. I'm one of those louts who, upon rendering a file, is getting sub-100% CPU usage in Premiere Pro CS5. More worryingly, the CPU is not even cranking to full TDP during the render. It is sitting at 100w! And the vCore is sitting around 1. The bloody thing is barely waking up! I've confirmed the CPU will crank to full TDP/usage/Vcore with various stress tests.

My specifics:

Hardware: i7-3930k (Stock), 32Gb RAM @1866mhz @10-9-10-27, GTX 590

Footage Disk: 3 x SSung F3 1Tb RAID 0 ~400mb/s sustained read/write

Scratch Disk: 2 x SSung F3 1Tb RAID 0 ~250mb/s sustained read/write

Output Disk: SSung F3 2Tb ~80mb/s sustained read/write

CS5 Install: SSD 510 120Gb

Project: Stored on Footage Array

MPE Enabled

My CPU usage hovers around 60% across all cores during the following render:

Source: FRAPS (a FourCC .avi) 27 megabytes per second

Destination: H.264 / High / 4.2 / 8megabits avg 10megabits peak / 1920 x 1080 / 29.97 / progressive

There are no MPE accelerated effects in the composition. I've tried running in software mode - same usage. I've tried disabling one of the GTX 590 cores (So that is appears to the operating system as effectively a single underclocked GTX 580) and noticed absolutely no difference at all.

There are After Effects compositions in the PPro composition, but 90% of the render doesn't include them.

The disks in question are not being used for anything else during the renders, all other programs sit on an entirely different SSD. And there is nothing running in the background anyway.

The entire system is completely underwater, temperatures do not break 40C on any components even at full load.

What do you reckon guys? Any hope? Or should I just settle for what are, compared to my old 1090T, great render times?

• 1. Re: Yet Another Low CPU Usage Question
          Jim_Simon Level 8

should I just settle for what are, compared to my old 1090T, great render times?

I'd go with that one.

PP will use whatever cycles it needs.  If it's not using them all, it's because it doesn't need them all.

• 2. Re: Yet Another Low CPU Usage Question
            Richard M Knight Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Would you expect at least one part of your system going flat out?  During some of my renders neither the HDD, CPU or RAM or being used to the full, what else is stopping the computer going faster?

RMK

PS You can tell I'm doing a long render, it gives me time to post on this forum!

• 3. Re: Yet Another Low CPU Usage Question
              NS2HD Level 1

Well Jim, any encoders' goal is to encode as fast as possible, so theoretically the CPU should be using every available cycle unless the render is being bottlenecked somewhere else. So, given the system's specs and disk setup, I am stumped as to what the bottleneck could possibly be.

• 4. Re: Yet Another Low CPU Usage Question
                Jim_Simon Level 8

unless the render is being bottlenecked somewhere else.

Exactly.

As to where?  Not sure.

• 5. Re: Yet Another Low CPU Usage Question
                  demoncamber Level 1

I'm having the same issue. Pretty funny.

• 6. Re: Yet Another Low CPU Usage Question
                    Powered by Design Level 4

Have you run the PPBM tests to see how your system runs ?

Maybe with that info Harm and Bill can help.

http://ppbm5.com/

GLenn

• 7. Re: Yet Another Low CPU Usage Question
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

Several possibilities:

• Indexing and compression are not turned off on all disks.
                      • You have AVG or similar anti-something running.
                      • You have not tuned your system and have background processes that are not needed.
                      • Fraps is at fault here.
                      • The 590 is suboptimal and/or your driver needs updating.
                      • etc.
                      • 8. Re: Yet Another Low CPU Usage Question
                        jabloomf1230 Level 1

Although that list contains the main factors in resource usage, there is one more that is often overlooked. The decoder portion of codecs is hardly ever efficiently mutlithreaded and there is a reason for that. Normally, the decoder's job is to push decoded frames/pixels to the video subsystem. The video subsystem is generally limited by either the frame rate or the display rate (fps) of the monitor (usually 60p). Of course, these days, decoding is included in just about any editing chain that you might imagine. Each file in the timeline is first decoded, before anything else is done (FX,  then previewing or encoding).

When everything else has been maximized (highly unlikely), the decoder speed will then become the bottleneck.

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Yet Another Low CPU Usage Question
                          demoncamber Level 1

It's funny, because I did a little more digging and setup 5 of my disks into a software raid in W7 x64. I am getting roughly 217MB/s read and 193MB/s write now.

While rendering again, I found that the CPU usage went up a little bit more, but is still not maxing out like I remember it used to in CS3/CS4 days while rendering.

I am also under water.

I also checked my GPU usage and it was not even being pinged sitting at a mere 7% while using cuda.

My system is really setup as optimally as it could be. I overclock everything I possibly can. Stress test, etc.

It eats up any game I throw at it.

• 10. Re: Yet Another Low CPU Usage Question
                            demoncamber Level 1

@Harm... "The 590 is suboptimal and/or your driver needs updating."

Harm man I know you are trying to help, but the more things you say, the more I think you have no idea what you are talking about...

"

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590 Is World's Fastest Graphics Card

Innovative Dual GPU Design Is Also Dramatically Quieter Than Competitive Products"

This mans system (The original poster) IMO is quite possibly the pinnacle of a home editing rig and should be performing flawlessly.

@NS2HD: Curious what mobo you are running?

• 11. Re: Yet Another Low CPU Usage Question
                              Harm Millaard Level 7

Demon,

You have no idea what you are talking about.

The 590 is nothing more than two 550's (or even less) glued together, of which only one can be used. It is far slower than the 570/580 with PR.

Do your homework before you utter more misleading, ill-informed and unsubstantiated claims that are utterly NOT TRUE for PR.

The 590 performs around 11 times slower (even with an i7-3930K CPU and 32 GB memory) than a simple 480 with an i7-920 and 24 GB.

You are completely ignorant about what works and does not work with PR CS5.x

• 12. Re: Yet Another Low CPU Usage Question
                                NS2HD Level 1

Steady guys! I've done some more digging. Two people are onto something!

Harm, the 590 is most definitly not nothing more than two 550's glued together. It is two GF110's on the same PCB, operating at slightly lower clock rates than they do when used individually on the 580. To the operating system, it is indistinguishable from using two GTX 580's with slightly lowered clocks. Each indivudal GF110 is substantially faster than the single GTX 480 you speak of being '11 times faster', the GF100 in the 480 has 448 Fermi cores while the GF110 has 512 Fermi cores. One doesn't even need to move on to benchmarks to see that's 11 ways wrong. The GTX 550's GF116 GPU did not even exist when the 590 was released!

Now, we know that the Mercury Playback Engine is just about as demanding on modern GPUs as playing Doom. So demoncambers's 7% GPU usage when using Premiere sounds about right. So power in the GPU is not the problem here. The Quadro 6000 uses a GF100, and is absolutely less powerful than a 580 or 590 using a single GPU. And don't go peddling the garbage that the addition of ECC RAM, and being higher binned, somehow grants a Quadro extra power.

Rather, I think Harm was onto something with 'FRAPs being at fault' and Jabloom might have hit the nail on the head. When encoding AVCHD from a Sony NEX VG20 (~24mbps (?) ) the rig sings at 98% CPU load and finally picks up to 130w TDP. Now I know that the high FRAPS data rate is not the problem, because I am pushing 400mb/s into PPro from an array doing nothing else.

So perhaps the FRAPS decoder is throttling itself? The plot thickens...

Off Topic

Powered By Design, you can find me in the PPBM list as 'Octopus [Stock].' I thought it was not all round a bad result, there are some i7-3930k rigs sitting above and below, so room for improvement.

The most interesting thing is the Mercury GPU accleration factor. Very very low. Given the performance of GTX 580 GF110's elsewhere in the benchmark, the only logical conclusion is that SLI gimps Mercury very hard. In any case, this is completely irrelevant to the discussion above, because my timelines do not use Mercury accelerated components at all. Sure, if I had Mercury accelerated components and my workflow did not absolutely require the GTX 590 working at full power, I'd turn it off. But I don't, and I do. So it's neither here nor there.

But useful as more evidence of SLI gimping Mercury!

Edit - Spelling!

• 13. Re: Yet Another Low CPU Usage Question
                                  NS2HD Level 1

Ok - problem solved! Posting for posterity...

By process of elimination, it must be the FRAPS decoder.

I re-ran PPBM and scored 134 (Octopus [OC / No SLI] ) - So we can safely say beyond reasonable doubt that the PC hardware setup is not the problem.

So sometimes I guess we just have to live with lower CPU usage, and accept that a bottleneck may be beyond our control.

• 14. Re: Yet Another Low CPU Usage Question
                                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Glad you have solved the issue. My suggestion in post #7 was correct then. BTW, your results have been posted and congrats on your great score.

• 15. Re: Yet Another Low CPU Usage Question
                                      Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

[post resurrecting a dead thread for no other purpose than to personally attack a forum member deleted]

• 16. Re: Yet Another Low CPU Usage Question
                                        hpmoon Level 1

Jeff Bellune wrote:

[post resurrecting a dead thread for no other purpose than to personally attack a forum member deleted]

More over-moderation.  No one's off-limits for refining useful advice here.  And threads have a way of "resurrecting" when they rank highest in a Google search.  If you think old threads are useless, just lock them (though it will make people furious).

• 17. Re: Yet Another Low CPU Usage Question
                                          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

You weren't refining useful advice.  You were attacking another forum member.  One more post like this from you and you will have your account at least temporarily suspended.

Jeff