15 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2013 2:27 PM by concretedecor Branched to a new discussion.

InDesign CS5 Out of memory error on a new imac with 16GB RAM

dbdee

My indesign keeps giving me an 'out of memory' error on my new imac with 16gb RAM, I've been looking for a soloution to this and tried switching off the live preflight and that helps.

But still I don't understand why I get this error when I have so much memory? Is there anywhere you can give indesign more ram to work with like with photoshop->performance?

• 1. Re: InDesign CS5 Out of memory error on a new imac with 16GB RAM
          Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

How many fonts have you got loaded? Can you disable some fonts or are you using any font manager whatsoever?

Also in Preferences>Interface

Change the Live Screen Drawing to "Delayed" instead of "Immediate".

See if that helps.

• 2. Re: InDesign CS5 Out of memory error on a new imac with 16GB RAM
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I'm not a Mac expert, but you've got something else wrong besides normal operations of ID. Either another program is conflicting in some way, or your file is very odd or corrupt. Is this happeing in all files, or just one that you've been working on? If it's just the one, try a save AS to a new name to remove the old change information and reduce the file size (normal ID files don't get bigger than a few megabytes -- gigabytes of file size would be a large red flag).

Is the file especially complex in some way -- lots of native vector objects or pasted paths from Illustrator, or pasted or embedded raster images from Photoshop? Linking to artwork will reduce the file size.

If the save As doesn't help, and it is resticted to one file, the next step would be to try export to .idml (see Remove minor corruption by exporting).

If it's not restricted to one or two files, but happens with brand new ones, too, you can try trashing the prefs (see Replace Your Preferences) which is fast and relatively painless when done using the manual method, but from waht you describe I have doubts that it will help.

Perhaps John will join us with some advice for how to use Activity Monitor to try to determinie what is using all the memory when this happens.

• 3. Re: InDesign CS5 Out of memory error on a new imac with 16GB RAM
              dbdee Level 1

This only happens in InDesign, and only on this document. But the document is not very heavy only it has a few gradients in it.

I have force quit a few times on this file since the memory error occured so maybe it could have damaged the file. Saving as a new document works for now, hopefully it won't come back.

Thank you!

• 4. Re: InDesign CS5 Out of memory error on a new imac with 16GB RAM

It wont hurt, and might help, to go ahead now and also do the export to .idml, then open that and continue working.

• 5. Re: InDesign CS5 Out of memory error on a new imac with 16GB RAM

And do a Save As at least once a day. I do it every time I'm about to make a major change to a file -- saving as a new name to insure I have older versions I can go back to if necessary.

• 6. Re: InDesign CS5 Out of memory error on a new imac with 16GB RAM
                    John Hawkinson Level 5

Peter wrote back on January 4th and I missed it:

Perhaps John will join us with some advice for how to use Activity Monitor to try to determinie what is using all the memory when this happens.

Well, it's easy enough, but I fear the problem is that InDesign itself is using too much memory, because of some sort of bug that has caused it to allocate a lot. But just fire up Activity Monitor and click on one of the memory columns to sort by it:

am.png

But if the question is why InDesign itself using too much memory, it's probably not worth the effort to teach you how to use tools to determine how it is using the memory -- it's likely to not give results that are meaningful without the source code, and it sounds like you have a reproducible test case sufficient to get Adobe to be able to reproduce the bug anyhow, and that's all they should need to track it down...

Anyhow, this is definitely a not-supposed-to-happen case, but looks like it's basically solved.

• 7. Re: InDesign CS5 Out of memory error on a new imac with 16GB RAM
                      Bufftom Level 1

I don't see how you can see this is basically solved. I've been using InDesign for years and only started seeing this error in the last month. I don't have any more fonts open than usual and the Activity Monitor shows InDesign using less memory than other applications with 8 gigs of free memory available. Re-saving "as" every day is not a viable long term solution, it's a short term work around. There is a bug or conflict that Adobe needs to address.

This is definitely NOT solved.

• 8. Re: InDesign CS5 Out of memory error on a new imac with 16GB RAM
                        BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Saving as, is not a workaround…it’s good practice at the end of every day before closing a file.

Bob

• 9. Re: InDesign CS5 Out of memory error on a new imac with 16GB RAM
                          Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If it only happened in the last month have you considered there might be something else at play? If you haven't changed anything with InDesign, then perhaps a new peripheral, or reinstallation of another program, perhaps a crash during a working day?

If you don't give details on what is happening there's not really a lot someone can do to help.

• 10. Re: InDesign CS5 Out of memory error on a new imac with 16GB RAM
                            John Hawkinson Level 5

Saving as, is not a workaround…it’s good practice at the end of every day before closing a file.

Nah, it's a workaround, but it's also good practice. But if the program can't Save, that's a bug, plain and simple.

Save is core functionality that needs to work. Almost as important as Export to PDF.

Just because we know that Save As makes things work better and has for decades in ID and similar software packages doesn't mean that "Save" problems get a free pass!

• 11. Re: InDesign CS5 Out of memory error on a new imac with 16GB RAM

As I said above, out of memory issues are pretty rare, and decidedly not normal, so there is probably something system specific going on, or you are dealing with a file that contains some immense amount of complexity, (typically in cases I've seen this turns out to be a vector object with thousands of paths) if you see one.

As for Save As, it's good work practice. Every change to a .indd file is recorded in the file database to allow for undo, and this causes ID files to grow in size during editing. In order to allow you to undo right back tot he point the file was opened, even if you have saved somewhere in the session, this change data is not removed from the file except by the Save As operation. That's all well and good during an editing session, but once the file is closed, that change data is no longer accessible to ID and becomes excess baggage. It also seems to increase the likelihood of file corruption (small as that might be). Many of the unrecoverable file problems we see here also have a history of many saves, but no save as. Save as reduces the file to only that data which is required for further editing froom that point going forward, and if you pick a new name each time it also builds a backup chain in case of disaster or a change in direction.

• 12. Re: InDesign CS5 Out of memory error on a new imac with 16GB RAM
                                BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I agree…but good practice is good practice.

I’ve had a few of those save being grayed out situations and they’re not fun but some of this stuff is nearly impossible to track down.

Bob

• 13. Re: InDesign CS5 Out of memory error on a new imac with 16GB RAM
                                  Barbara Fishbeck RJG

I am having memory issues as well.  We just upgraded to CS5.5 and i didn't have this issue with the previous version.  It is happening with more than one document and neither is very large or complex.  The error I get is headed with DDE Server Window: InDesign.exe - Application Error  'The instruction at "0z00978b83" referenced memory at "0x0af19f40". The memory could not be "read".  Click on OK to terminate the program.

It does not wait for me to click on OK - it just crashes and closes.  I am building new manuals and am still formatting the layout so I don't want to save every couple of minutes.  I have rebooted the computer several times - it is my master computer, has79Gb of free space and 3.24 GB RAM.  The computer was designed for these programs and documents and I have not had any problems in a very long time until we did the upgrade on all my Adobe stuff.  Any suggestions would be welcome.  it also seems to happen later in the day - I was wondering if a memory cache could be an issue.  My IT guy is working on the hardware.  I am trying from this end - thanks!

Thank you,

Barbara

• 14. Re: InDesign CS5 Out of memory error on a new imac with 16GB RAM

Barbara,

This does not sound like the same sort of problem at all. You have an actual crash, and should have a crash report available. You should upload that to Pastebin.com, then start a new thread here and include a link to the crash reoprt. DO NOT  paste the crash report directly into your post -- they're way too big.

In the meantime, do you have any third party plugins (including font manager auto-activation)? Have you updated CS5.5 to 7.5.2? There was a bug in the initial release that allowed non-comaptible CS5 plugins to load (fixed in the update), and many of these types of crashes turn out to be plugin-related.

• 15. Re: InDesign CS5 Out of memory error on a new imac with 16GB RAM
                                      concretedecor

Success!

I was having this problem, with a file composed of placed PDF images of complex ads. When I would scroll the document, I'd get the "Out of Memory" error message and the ads would fail to draw on the page.

But this worked for me: I quit out of Dropbox, quit InDesign, Photoshop and Firefox. Then when I relaunched InDesign, everything worked fine. No reboot necessary.

Thanks to the people upthread who suggested using Activity Monitor and that Dropbox as a possible culprit. When I sorted processes by % of CPU, I noticed that Dropbox was jumping around, up and down the list, presumably as it checked for new files. Quitting Dropbox — and turning it on only when needed — seems to have solved this problem for me.

I'm running CS 5.5 on a 2.8GHz iMac i5 with 8GB RAM running OS 10.6.8.