6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2012 5:32 AM by Grant H

how to create a 'clone' linked text frame

W. Bravenboer Level 1

I have a large document, and the page numbering is not in a straight manner, as there are blank pages, which must be ignored for numbering. The blank pages are needed to make it easier for the printer, some pages need to be one-sided, others need to be two-sided.

The numbering of the pages need to be done manually, or else I have to assign every page a section start, and for printing purposes this is kind of risky (page 1 is not really page 1 for instance...)

OK, so far so good, I also need to create a table of contents, and check the document, and I was wondering if I could create a larger 'copy' of my manual page number, next to the page. At the moment I need to zoom in or select the frame and use apple-y to check the number.

I create a slug area, I would like to put a larger textframe with the number in a larger corps in it, but it needs to 'link' to the original smaller text. Is this something that could be done by a utility or another way? It is not something I have to do every day, but I was just wondering if a kind of active 'clone' was possible. The 'copy' needs to be actively linked to the other textframe, every change must be implemented, but on a document page, not through a master page.

Or else a page numbering scheme like 1,3,5,7 of 'ignore blank pages' would be appreciated

• 1. Re: how to create a 'clone' linked text frame
          Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Apply automatic numbering to all your pages.

Duplicate your master page.

Remove the numbering from the duplicate.

Apply the duplicate master page to the pages not requiring page numbering.

Or are you looking for something different to this?

• 2. Re: how to create a 'clone' linked text frame
            W. Bravenboer Level 1

I know that, but that is not what I mean, this would result in 1,3,5,7,9 for instance, Indesign will still count the blank masters.

What I have is this:

page 1 - blank - page 2 - blank - page 3 - page 4 - page 5 - blank - page 6 and so on.

The blank pages need to be ignored for numbering purposes.

• 3. Re: how to create a 'clone' linked text frame
              Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That's a really bizarre way to number pages. Make sure you specify this to the printers, as a note to them. It's just not a normal way to number pages and printers would appreciate a heads up on it.

There is no way to automate it as such. It would have to be manually updated when pages are added or moved around.

You will still need two Master Pages

Create an empty text frame on the Master Page on both spreads, make sure they are linked.

Create a text file with sequential numbering from 1 - whatever the final page number is.  (excel can do this quite easily).

Place the text file into the Main Pages at the starting page.

You will then need to apply the Master Page without that text frame to every page that does not need a page number.

You can do this easily by holding down Control (might be CMD on Mac) and then selecting the pages that don't require page numbers - then use the Apply Master Pages and select the master page to apply to those pages.

• 4. Re: how to create a 'clone' linked text frame
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

If you want to build a TOC, or even use cross-references to make a TOC, using the built-in features in ID, you have to use automatic page numbering of some sort -- these features don't care what page number you type in a frame, they look at the logical page number that is assigned. The only way that is going to work is to start a new section at each blank page and another at the page that follows. In order to avoid duplication of logical page numbers (and constant complaining by ID that a Page number is already in use), I'd probably use two number sequences, regular numbers for pages with content, and a second sequence of letters for blank pages.

I'd probably also set up a special master for the blanks that actually has a frame with a current page marker very large in the center so it is easy to see, then set that to non-printing, either in the attributes panel or by putting the frame on a layer set to non-printing. I think it might be hard, otherwise, to keep track of which number is next on the blanks.

• 5. Re: how to create a 'clone' linked text frame
                  W. Bravenboer Level 1

Printwise the document such as I prepare is very easy for the printer, as he just has to print the job two-sided, I only have to make sure that blank pages are made to print and/or included in the pdf.

Printing is done here, on an Indigo 5500, so we have a good communication.

The whole issue is that all pages have to be included, it is a catalogue, for use in a binder, it is several parts, with an index. I just create all numbers manually, it takes more time, but it is safer this way.

It was just that I was kind of wondering if there were some short-cuts or easier way to do this. Luckily it is not an issue that rises often...

• 6. Re: how to create a 'clone' linked text frame
                    Grant H Level 4

The blank pages need to be ignored for numbering purposes.

as everyone else has commented: strange way to number (ignoring blank pages) as a blank page is still a page and the odd numbers are "always" recto (on the "err hate saying 'right' page). But you could set up the document  as a book with a whole lot of 1pg to Xpg chapters with the page and section numbers to suit your needs.

G