• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Encore insists on transcoding H.264 Blu-ray encoded file (Blu-ray legal)

Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2012 Jan 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Blu-ray legal .m4v file encoded out of Adobe Media Encoder as H.264 Blu-ray VBR 2-Pass, maximum render, target 25Mbps, maximum 30Mbps.

My project is H.264, maximum 40Mbps.

Encore keeps listing the video file as untranscoded and wants to transcode it.

I've tried encoding just a portion of the video file instead of the whole thing using the same settings and when I bring this into Encore it recognizes it as Blu-ray legal and sets it to "Don't Transcode".

Can anyone think of a reason as to why this is happening?  I really don't want to sit through another eight hour encode that could degregade pq further.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 07, 2012 Jan 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be sure you're looking at the Blu-ray info.  A lot of folks have made the mistake of looking at the DVD transcode status.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are not looking at the wrong info, this may be a bug related to 2 pass vbr H264.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3876184

See post 20 here, where Jeff (I think) is suggesting that this may not be a single 2 pass vbr bug, but a relationship between the profile also.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/697684

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Definitely looking at Blu-ray info, not DVD and almost positive it's the VBR 2-Pass H.264 bug discussed elsewhere.  Encoded using VBR 1-Pass and Encore accepts the clip no problem.

Also heard that this has been a bug since CS4?  That's crazy.

(also submitted my own bug report)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of Encore are you running?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Media Encoder CS5.5 & Encore CS5.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for adding that and for filing a bug report.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 08, 2012 Jan 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try 1 pass.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did try 1 pass and it did work properly that way.

It's an undesireable workaround and I hope Adobe addresses this bug and issues a patch ASAP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File a Bug Report  https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

The more reports, the more Adobe knows it is a "large" problem, and the more chance of a fix

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Already done.

(also submitted my own bug report)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a test: what if you change the extention from m4v to mts before importing them into Encore?

Can test it myself, never encountered the error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 09, 2012 Jan 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd give that a try but I no longer have the 2 pass files available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2013 Feb 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similar problem:

Win7/64, Encore CS6.

Imported file: .h264 (encoded with MainConcept), CBR, 34.99Mbps. Length: 6min.

Preferences in Encore: BluRay, h264, CBR, max. 40Mbps, Main 4.1. (MainConcept Codec is shown on the display.)

- After import Encore want to transcode the file.

- "For fun" I let Encore do the transcoding procedure. It took one hour...

- The result: The "old" file (.h264) is 1.494.861 kb. The transcoded file (Encore made a m4v) is 1.494.966 kb. Why is the new file bigger than the old?

- Another attempt: I renamed the "old" file from ".h264" into "m4v". No cahnge to Encore - Encore wants to transcode as before.

Any ideas or solutions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While your problem fits the general topic of this thread, it is otherwise different. The H264 2 pass bug was fixed with CS6 (it was CS6 and not an update, right?). Also, you are exporting CBR.

You have a project max of 40Mbps (which is video and audio combined), with CBR fairly high. Any spikes and  your file will not be compliant.

Does anyone have a better bitrate viewer than "Bitrate Viewer"?

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/Bitrate-Viewer-2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The project prefernce is "max. 40Mbps".

But the imported file - encoded by MainConcept before starting Encore using BluRay preferences Main 4.1 - is only 35 Mbps (CBR).

1. I don't understand that Encore wants to transcode the 35Mbps file.

2. I don't understand that the file after re-transcoding by Encore is bigger than before. I am wondering what Encore has changed in the file.

The bitrate viewer says,  in the source file the peak is 24.180 kbps (average 17.494 kbps)

and in the transcoded file by Encore the peak is 30.756 kbps (average 17.495 kbps).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

- Another attempt: I renamed the "old" file from ".h264" into "m4v". No cahnge to Encore - Encore wants to transcode as before.

The imported file is it exported as H.264 which generally gives mp4 or as H.264 BluRay which will give you m4v with multiplexer off (prefered) or m2t?

If its mp4 it gets re-encoded.

Max bitrate for BD vbr or cbr is 35.

Make a screendump of your export settings in Premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The imported file is a only-video file .264. I had edited the whole video in my Avid Media Composer - I never have worked with Premiere - and then I exported the file and encoded it with the MainConcept Reference BluRay-Encoder (CBR, 35Mbps) to a .264 video and an .ac3 audio file. And finally I want to import these files to Encore to add chapters and compile a bluray... without any re-transcoding...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Somehow your Avid does not make a BD compliant file to have Encore not re-encode.

.264 it that the extention for the videofile?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, .264. Encoded from a Avid .mov with MainConcept AVCHD (BluRay compliant).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that is the problem: .264.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A .264 file from x264Pro or MeGUI that is BD-legal will import into En and be automatically set to Do Not Transcode.  So the file extension isn't the problem.  There are some esoteric H.264 parameters in x264 that must be set precisely in order to have En set the .264 file to DNT.  I suspect those same parameters will have to be set in MainConcept's encoder.

If you want to jump in the deep end, here are the x264 parameters that produce BD-legal output that also make En happy:

program --pass 2 --bitrate 16000 --stats ".stats" --open-gop bluray --interlaced --pic-struct --level 4.1 --bframes 3 --ref 4 --slices 4 --aud --nal-hrd vbr --b-pyramid strict --keyint 30 --min-keyint 3 --vbv-bufsize 30000 --vbv-maxrate 40000 --weightp 0 --colorprim "bt709" --transfer "bt709" --colormatrix "bt709" --output "output" "input"

Obviously interlacing, bitrate, vbv-maxrate and such can be set as desired based on the source footage and delivery requirements.

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This should have been in the manual.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, x264 isn't part of En and I think the OP is using the stand-alone MainConcept encoder. H.264 Blu-ray from either Pr or En using the built in MC encoder always produces files that don't transcode in En if a proper preset is used.

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2013 Feb 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's right, I'm using the standalone MainConcept Encoder.

Nevertheless, I have the impression that Encore also uses the MainConcept, because in the advance settings of the transcoding, in the line "Codec" the "MainConcept" is displayed (I cannot change this and cannot see other possibilities of Encding codecs).

However, I will control and compare theencoding parameters  of the imported .264 file...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines