2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2012 8:56 AM by the_wine_snob

Best To Keep Older Versions Of Premiere Elements When Upgrading?

flyingfish4 Level 1

I'm wondering about purchasing Premiere Elements 10, but am trying to future-proof myself as well.

This post says it's not a good idea to open older project in a newer version of Elements.

When you upgrade from an older version of Premiere Elements to a newer version, does it wipe out the older version?

If so, does it make sense to just buy the full version instead of upgrading?

Would this allow me to keep both the older program as well as the newer program?

That way I could open older projects in the version they were created in so they won't be corrupted?

• 1. Re: Best To Keep Older Versions Of Premiere Elements When Upgrading?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You can have several versions of the program on your computer without one affecting the other. In fact, I often keep several generations of the program installed so that I can refer back to an older version when helping people.

Installing an "upgrade" doesn't wipe out the old version. It just installs a complete new version.

• 2. Re: Best To Keep Older Versions Of Premiere Elements When Upgrading?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

As Steve mentions, Adobe has almost always allowed previous versions of their programs coexist on the same computer, and an installation does NOT overwrite a previous version. Years ago, I had Photoshop 4.0, 7.0, CS and CS2, without any issue. IIRC, one user/contributor here, ATR, has almost every version of PrE from 4.0 through 10, and I have never heard of a problem for him.

Only issue that I can recall was with PrPro CS3 and CS4. If one had PrPro CS3 installed, then installed CS4, and then removed CS3, a few necessary parts of CS4 were removed. A Repair Install of CS4 quickly fixed that. Might have been more issues, but I have not heard of them.

Good luck,

Hunt