2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2012 10:08 AM by John Hawkinson

InDesign CS5.5 - Crashes When Packaging

DMC_TX

Using: InDesign CS5.5, 7.5.2

On:  Mac OSX 10.6.8

When trying to package certain of our jobs, InDesign will momentarily hangup during font or link collection before crashing completely.  Initially, this was only happening on large multiple-page, image-heavy files, but now even small files, with only one or two pages and a handful of images are failing.  I have read through other discussions on similar issues and have tried their fixes (i.e. turning off live preflight, disabling non-system fonts), but the results are still the same.  Packaging has become a necessary portion of our workflow if only for image-gathering prior to archiving and this issue is really becoming a problem.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have the Adobe Crash Data here if it helps in diagnoising the root cause:  http://pastebin.com/dJuV53Ja

Thanks!

• 1. Re: InDesign CS5.5 - Crashes When Packaging
          Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Seen as it's happening on all files I suggest you reset your InDesign preferences.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/526990

For documents still giving you issues I recommend removing any minor corruption that may have occured by following this thread

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/526991

• 2. Re: InDesign CS5.5 - Crashes When Packaging
            John Hawkinson Level 5

I have to say, it's so awesome that so many people are posting their crash reports in 2012, without having to be asked for them! It sure makes it easier to help, at least theoretically.

I have read through other discussions on similar issues and have tried their fixes (i.e. turning off live preflight, disabling non-system fonts), but the results are still the same.

Have you tried exporting to IDML? Do you have any third-party extensions?

Packaging has become a necessary portion of our workflow if only for image-gathering prior to archiving and this issue is really becoming a problem.

If it is only for image-gathering, you can use use Links (panel menu) > Utilities > Copy Links, see http://indesignsecrets.com/copy-all-your-linked-images.php for a discussion. Probably an adequate workaround.

I have the Adobe Crash Data here if it helps in diagnoising the root cause:  http://pastebin.com/dJuV53Ja

Well, this is rather atypical:

Crashed Thread:  20

Thread 20 Crashed:

0   com.apple.CoreFoundation           0x9494065f _CFURLIsFileURL + 15

1   com.apple.CoreFoundation           0x949a3a80 CFURLSetResourcePropertiesForKeys + 32

2   com.apple.DesktopServices          0x975d1af0 TCopyWriter::WriteDates() + 990

3   com.apple.DesktopServices          0x975d139f TCopyWriter::WriteExtendedAttributes() + 357

4   com.apple.DesktopServices          0x975cb0f3 TCopyWriter::Write() + 185

5   com.apple.DesktopServices          0x975ca9d5 TCopyWriter::WriteTaskProc(void*) + 75

6   ...ple.CoreServices.CarbonCore     0x9591254a PrivateMPEntryPoint + 68

7   libSystem.B.dylib                  0x94cbe259 _pthread_start + 345

8   libSystem.B.dylib                  0x94cbe0de thread_start + 34

It would appear that the crash is entirely in Apple's code, in a thread Apple created, i.e. very much "not InDesign's fault." But looks can be deceiving.

Anyhow, the implication is that there's something wrong with one of the links in a weird way. Network filesystem?

Though thread 20 was presumably spawned from the main thread, 0, which appears to be waiting for its completion:

Thread 0:  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

0   libSystem.B.dylib                  0x94cbeaa2 __semwait_signal + 10

1   libSystem.B.dylib                  0x94cbe75e _pthread_cond_wait + 1191

2   libSystem.B.dylib                  0x94cc03f8 pthread_cond_wait$UNIX2003 + 73

3   ...ple.CoreServices.CarbonCore     0x9594721e TSWaitOnCondition + 126

4   ...ple.CoreServices.CarbonCore     0x95932b68 TSWaitOnConditionTimedRelative + 202

5   ...ple.CoreServices.CarbonCore     0x9592e533 MPWaitOnQueue + 250

6   com.apple.DesktopServices          0x975d230b TCopyQueue::WaitOnRecordDone() + 55

7   com.apple.DesktopServices          0x975cc287 TCopyReader::GetNextItem() + 875

8   com.apple.DesktopServices          0x975cadf6 TCopyReader::Read(unsigned long long, TCountedPtr<TCFURLInfo> const&, TCountedPtr<TCFURLInfo> const&) + 164

9   com.apple.DesktopServices          0x976014e3 TFSCopyOperation::CopyToTarget() + 613

10  com.apple.DesktopServices          0x97604228 TFSCopyOperation::DoCopy(TCountedPtr<TCFURLInfo> const&) + 780

11  com.apple.DesktopServices          0x97604898 TFSCopyOperation::Run() + 174

12  com.apple.DesktopServices          0x975f95e9 _NodeOperation + 438

13  ...ple.CoreServices.CarbonCore     0x95992090 _FSOperateOnObjectSync + 352

14  ...ple.CoreServices.CarbonCore     0x9599228f _FSPathOperateOnObjectSync + 210

15  AdobeAFL                           0x017d10cd adobe::afl::CoreFileUtils::CopyFile(adobe::afl::AFile const&, adobe::afl::AFile const&, bool) + 365

16  PublicLib.dylib                    0x0151b7aa FileLinkResourceHandler::CopyToFile(UIDRef const&, URI const&, IDFile&) const + 58

17  com.adobe.InDesign.Links           0x2147c58e 0x213ff000 + 513422

Fundamentally, we can see from frame #15 that the AdobeAFL library has been invoked to copy a file, and then Apple's file copying code is running along and somehow ultimately crashing.

Still doesn't tell us why. It vaguely reminds me of a crash someone was having a few months ago when they rightclicked on an image object. Turned out that when InDesign was building the "Edit With" menu, to show all applications that could open a particular file, some ancient (Rosetta-enabled PPC app?) program was gumming up the works and making the process of enumerating applications break. Which translated into an inability to rightclick.

While I'm not suggesting you should necessarily go through and trash any ancient applications in your Applications/ folder (just moving them is probably not sufficient either. I guess you could create a DMG and put them on the DMG and unmount it), that might be vaguely related. Hopefully not.

Anyhow, I suspect htis is a problem with a single link. Can you narrow it down to one?