4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2012 7:52 AM by oldMster

Do HTTPService calls use the proxy settings of the browser?

rexdtripod Level 1

Have an app that makes some HTTPService calls to retrieve some server data.  Looking to deliver the app to a corp with a network locked down by proxy server.  Will my calls detect browser proxy settings and make it through?

• 1. Re: Do HTTPService calls use the proxy settings of the browser?
          rexdtripod Level 1

RTMP calls will obviously not detect browser settings.  But I would think HTTPService calls would be a different story.  Not sure though.  Maybe the Flash Player in general is oblivious to its browser container?  Could someone who knows weigh in on this?

• 2. Re: Do HTTPService calls use the proxy settings of the browser?
            oldMster

If the app is a browser app, not AIR, then the HTTPService calls are actually done by the browser, so the browser proxy settings should work. I use apps in a proxied environment, and haven't had any issues.

Mark

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Do HTTPService calls use the proxy settings of the browser?
              rexdtripod Level 1

Hmmm…  I’m sitting here thinking about this and discussing with a colleague.  I find it a really interesting area.

I see lots of posts on Flex/Flash and proxies but very little on how to actually architect apps to deal with them.  Speaking for myself and my colleague here it’s because we don’t know the precise anatomy of the Flash player’s communication with the web.

For instance, if what you say is true, Flash hands HTTP requests off to the browser.  So the browser proxy settings come into play.  What about tunnelled rtmp then (rtmpt)?  Is that an HTTP request?  It's data wrapped in html.  Does Flash hand it off to the browser?  Would proxy settings be honored there?

• 4. Re: Do HTTPService calls use the proxy settings of the browser?
                oldMster Level 3

I don't know about rtmp, never used it.  I do know HTTPService uses the browser, we use those extensively.  You can watch/inspect the HTTPService calls using Firebug (if running Flash in Firefox), or the developer tools in Chrome or IIS.  I found this out from Adobe when we were tracking down some https issues, that turned out to be certificate revocation chain issues.  We changed the settings in the browser to not check for revocation, problem went away, turn the checking back on in the browser, problem was back.  The need to do that has gone away now, it seems we were waiting for some changes to the way revocations were handled to filter down through updates in all the browsers.

We also use TCP sockets, those do not get handled by the browser.

Mark