3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2012 11:10 AM by bogiesan

Help needed for iphone 4s render settings AE

rshoemaker

Hello,

I have created a sequence of intro screens for a iphone game i am developing. I have my comp settings to 960x640 (screen size). When i render it out and preview it on an iphone 4s, there is a black gap along the edges of the animation and i can not seem to make the animation fit the iphone screen full to the boarders.

QUESTIONS:

Is there a specific pixel aspect ratio i need to set it to in my comp settings?

Is there specific rendering settings i needs to set it to (h.264, Quicktime, etc.)

I have played around with several different settings combinations and can not make the black boarder go away/make the animation fit the entire screen.

PLEASE HELP!!

• 1. Re: Help needed for iphone 4s render settings AE
          bogiesan Level 4

You need to be talking to other developers of iPhone video clips and iOS apps. ONce you know the exact specifications, we can help you render out to them. But how that movie comes into and is displayed on the iOS platform is not a question After Effects users can help you with directly. However, there should be an iOS/iPhone preset in the Adobe Device Central and Adobe Media Encoder applications.

I'm surprised that you are working on a game but do not know how to get a moving image to the screen. There is a huge developers' forum on apple.com and, considering there are tens of thousands of iOS games in the App Store, the SDK for iOS must be explicit.

Message was edited by: bogiesan

• 2. Re: Help needed for iphone 4s render settings AE
            rshoemaker Level 1

"i'm surprised that you are working on a game but do not know how to get a moving image to the screen." - I can get the animation on the iphone and view it and it works, but the problem is that even though i set it to the dimensions of the screen 960x640 there are still black boarders on both axis'.  All I want is the black boarders to be gone, guess i'll just experiment with different pixel ratios and find one that fits (other than 960-640).

• 3. Re: Help needed for iphone 4s render settings AE
              bogiesan Level 4

rshoemaker wrote:

"i'm surprised that you are working on a game but do not know how to get a moving image to the screen." - I can get the animation on the iphone and view it and it works, but the problem is that even though i set it to the dimensions of the screen 960x640 there are still black boarders on both axis'.  All I want is the black boarders to be gone, guess i'll just experiment with different pixel ratios and find one that fits (other than 960-640).

Most video files require an app to run them and that app will have prefs for going full screen mode. I doubt it is a setting in the video file. However, the SDK may provide information on setting special flags that trigger a format change in the player application. The specifications must exist someplace in your SDK. If you can give them to us, we'll help you figure it out.

As long as you're going to all that experimenting, please let us know what your results are. There will be other seekers like you in the future, trying to fill the iOS device screen with video clips. Your experience will help those people solve similar problems.