15 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2012 11:34 AM by sasabombasa

help--all my colors changed and won't change back!

sasabombasa Level 1

running cs3 on imac osx

making business cards, rgb  mode.  colors just right.   then my printer tells me i have to give the file to him in cmyk.  so i changed to cmyk in Image--Mode, knowing that the colors would be different.  printed a version and ugh, hated it; much darker and more drab.  so, changed Mode back to rgb. and lo, the color did NOT change back!  i opened another file--one that i had not messed with, which has been nothing but rgb.  and lo!  it too had changed colors to the dark and drab!

what in the world is going on?  please help

thank you!

• 1. Re: help--all my colors changed and won't change back!
          Curt Y Level 7

There is probably something else going on there. 

Take an image and make copy and then play around with it.  It should change back and forth.

Not an expert but have seen several posts where printer says I need cmyk.  Seems like I remember users saying that many printers say they want cmyk, but can use RGB also, so check again with printer.

• 2. Re: help--all my colors changed and won't change back!
            sasabombasa Level 1

i have tried working with  copies, to no avail.  unfortunately, the problem has affected EVERY image on my computer.  all my images now print with different colors than they ever have before.  some systemwide change has happened. 

i dont even care if my printer wants cmyk or not, i just want my images to print the way they did up until this snafu.

• 3. Re: help--all my colors changed and won't change back!
              c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

so, changed Mode back to rgb. and lo, the color did NOT change back! 

As you make no mention of the actual Color Spaces involved I suspect you may be at least somewhat ignorant of Color Management issues and might want to read up on them.

This site has been recommended in the past:

http://www.gballard.net/psd/cmstheory.html

Assuming the RGB-space was larger than the CMYK-space (no way to know for sure unless you tell us which ones) converting the image, once converted to CMYK, back to RGB can practically not recreate the original appearance, because to bunch the information into the smaller space some loss/change has to happen.

i opened another file--one that i had not messed with, which has been nothing but rgb.  and lo!  it too had changed colors to the dark and drab!

Are you talking about print-results or on screen-display?

Seems like I remember users saying that many printers say they want cmyk, but can use RGB also, so check again with printer.

But if you let someone else do the separation the results may not live up to your expectations and you will not be able to blame anyone else. The Render Intent alone can make a significant difference in the appearance of the result.

In any case if a printer just states that they want CMYK-images, but not which CMYK-space to use, their workflow might not be completely up-to-date.

• 4. Re: help--all my colors changed and won't change back!
                sasabombasa Level 1

ok, let's completely forget for the moment what my printer wants.  non-issue now.

to be clear:  i had one biz card.  i changed ONE thing in ONE place (Image>Mode) in this ONE file--and now all my other  images that i did NOTHING to suddenly print on MY printer in completely wrong colors, even though they look  as they always have on screen (perfect).

all i want is for MY printer attached to MY computer to print the images the same way it did before i made this experiment--and again, i'm talking about images that i NEVER changed the RGB/CMYK on, and that i never changed ANYTHING on during this period.

• 5. Re: help--all my colors changed and won't change back!
                  Curt Y Level 7

Since we can not see your computer you need to calm down and look closely at what has changed.  Somehow defaults have changed in the color setup in either PS or printer.

• 6. Re: help--all my colors changed and won't change back!
                    sasabombasa Level 1

interface with my printer looks the same.  where would i find  "color setup" in PS, and the defaults therein?

• 7. Re: help--all my colors changed and won't change back!
                      Curt Y Level 7

You can start at Edit/color settings

• 8. Re: help--all my colors changed and won't change back!
                        sasabombasa Level 1

just checked that and it hasnt changed.  next?

• 9. Re: help--all my colors changed and won't change back!
                          D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

When you printed that file, did you change any settings in the print setup at all? Either in the PS print dialog, or in the printer driver?

Like Curt says you really need to take a deep breath and approach this a little more systematically. Colors don't just "change" by themselves, certainly not by a simple mode change.

• 10. Re: help--all my colors changed and won't change back!
                            sasabombasa Level 1

i was freaked  out last night, but now i am calm, and am approaching the situation methodically.  honest to goodness, i made that one change in that one place in that one file.

i have my own customprofile that i use and use exclusively, so when the PS dialog box opens it's always set on Printer Manages Colors.  still is.  i only have one printer and its set up remains the same.  still is.

i have one file, in indesign, that was created long ago in cmyk and i printed that just to see -- sure enough its colors, on screen and on printed page, are as they always have been.  somehow my whole computer has switched over to cmyk.

so...where else should i look to see what might have changed?

• 11. Re: help--all my colors changed and won't change back!

i have my own customprofile that i use and use exclusively, so when the PS dialog box opens it's always set on Printer Manages Colors.

That makes no sense. If "printer manages color" that profile isn't used; it's all done internally in the printer. You're at the printer's mercy.

What kind of profile is it, and where exactly do you use it?

EDIT: To take this from scratch, what exactly are these three profiles in any of the "bad" files:

1 Document profile (find out by opening the Convert to Profile dialog and note what it says under Source Space. Cancel out; don't complete).

2 Monitor profile (find out by opening Color Settings. Open the dropdown under RGB working space, and scroll to Monitor RGB and its associated profile. Cancel).

3 Printer profile, if any. (this is set in the print dialog according to the paper used, as long as Photoshop manages color).

• 12. Re: help--all my colors changed and won't change back!
                                PECourtejoie Adobe Community Professional

Hello!

A good reference is Ian Lyon's site: http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps12_colour/ps12_1.htm

don't forget to check if Bridge does not color suite-wide color management.

You are positive that the only change you made was to change the color mode of one image to CYMK in Image>Mode.

You did not mistakenly select another profile in the Edit>color profiles area?

• 13. Re: help--all my colors changed and won't change back!
                                  sasabombasa Level 1

oh my god, D Fosse, you have saved my life!

i havent changed my settings in so long that i forget where they're normally set.  but when you pointed me to the mismatch between "printer manages color" and the fact that i use custom profiles, well, duh!  i switched to Photoshop manages colors and found my custom profile there and voila!  everything's back to normal.

this still doesnt explain how this setting that i never change got changed, but i'm not going to worry about that.  as i said from the top, all i wanted was my colors back, and now i have them.

thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Blessings upon you and yours.

Lisa

• 14. Re: help--all my colors changed and won't change back!

Glad I could help

And a useful reminder to us all that assumptions are the enemy of troubleshooting 

1 person found this helpful