4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2012 11:35 AM by Maryhotmail

How to print a downloaded color document in black or gray scale

Maryhotmail

I have Adobe Reader 9; Windows Vista Home Premium; HP Officejet Pro 8000 Wireless printer.  I have downloaded a document that is pre-set to print in color.  I want to print it in black or gray scale.  I click on the printer icon for the printing pop up.  When I click on the Properties bar to make the request for black or gray scale, nothing happens.  What steps can I take to convert the pre-set color download to be printed in black or gray scale?  Thanks!

• 1. Re: How to print a downloaded color document in black or gray scale
          pwillener Level 8

That should be done using the Print... Properties function.  You say "nothing happens"; does the same occur in other programs like Word?

• 2. Re: How to print a downloaded color document in black or gray scale
            Maryhotmail Level 1

I have only had the experience when I have downloaded a link from within an email to my Hotmail account when the download has already been set up in color.  To date, I have not had that problem with Word.       There are specifically two situations regarding two different monthly emailed newsletters.  This is through Internet Explorer 8; Windows Vista Home Premium.  (I will not use Internet Explorer 9.  It causes blocks for routine procedures, especially involving my Hotmail account--such as not being able initially to download a normal attachment or, if downloaded, not being able to print a normal download attachment.)     However, after I sent out my request for help, I switched to Mozilla Firefox and was able to print the "color" download in black right away because the Preferences bar responded as it should.  (Through Internet Explorer 8, regarding this particular link/download/attachment, the printing pop up had a Properties bar.  However, I am aware that, in some other pop up formats, there are both a Properties bar and a Preferences bar to choose from.)       I have Mozilla Firefox as a backup because, sometimes, I have to resort to it to download email attachments (whether black or color) coming from the east coast when they will not download through Internet Explorer 8.  (I am near the geographic center of the US.)     Thank you for your interest in my concern.  I will gladly accept any advice regarding being able to print an email attachment/link color download in black when using Internet Explorer 8!  Does it depend on how the link attachment is set up or what the link attachment is??

[private data removed]

• 3. Re: How to print a downloaded color document in black or gray scale
              pwillener Level 8

When you say "downloading", did you actually save it to disk, or did you open it directly in the browser?

When really downloading it, then it shouldn't matter how or from where you downloaded it.

• 4. Re: How to print a downloaded color document in black or gray scale
                Maryhotmail Level 1

By "downloadiing", I mean temporarily downloading, for printing purposes only, a document which is either an attachment to an email or a document which is located in a "link" provided in an email.  I am not trying to save the downloaded document to anything on my computer.