10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2012 1:01 AM by nealeh

Will Premiere Elements 10 recognize MOV files?

Wiserlake

I have a new EOS 60D Canon camera.  Will Premiere Elements 10 recognize the .MOV file the videos are stored as?

• 1. Re: Will Premiere Elements 10 recognize MOV files?
          nealeh Level 5

It depends on the formats Canon use within that 'MOV' file. Analyse your clip with GSpot and/or MediaInfo and post the screenshots here.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Will Premiere Elements 10 recognize MOV files?
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

But it should be compatible with one of the DSLR project settings -- so make sure your project is set up to work with that camera's video!

• 3. Re: Will Premiere Elements 10 recognize MOV files?
              Wiserlake Level 1

Thanks for all your help...it shows m-peg 4 quicktime 124 Mib, 22s 756 ms.   with 1 video stream avc and 1 audio stream pvc

• 4. Re: Will Premiere Elements 10 recognize MOV files?
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What codec does it show?

And what frame rate?

What resolution? 1920x1080? 640x480? 1280x720?

• 5. Re: Will Premiere Elements 10 recognize MOV files?
                  grifod

i have a new canon sx 230 hs powershot camera that shoots 'mov files.  Using ape10 i can drop the files into the media window.  after that the workflow goes south.  When i try to scrub the time line it is jumpy.  yes i have a good computer with a good video card.   so in an attempt to do some meaningful editing i went to share-computer-avi.   the resulting file scrubed nicely but the quality was so poor that it was unusable

so the question is how can i use the mov files out of my canon camera.  they are

h.264  472x264 million,

16 bit integer (little endian),

stero (l r),  48000 khz

ideally ape10 could handle them right off the camera.  

if there is some reason(technical or political) that such a codec can not be provided then perhap you could supply a workflow that would provide a reasonable conversion.

i would even settle for a third party software to do the conversion. ( i tried by purchasing quicktime pro to convert .mov to .avi but that was only moderately successful.) 

your help would be much appreciated since the software is not of any value to me if it does not edit the footage from my canon powershot. 

• 6. Re: Will Premiere Elements 10 recognize MOV files?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

With a powerful computer, PrE can handled H.264 just fine.

What are the specs. of your computer, and especially the CPU? Ideally, one should have a fast i7 to easily process H.264, whether it is in AVCHD, or some other wrapper, like MOV.

Now, many camera mfgrs. work in different "flavors" of H.264, and the one that is common in most PrE installations, is Apple's H.264, installed with Apple's QT Player. However, that might not be the best one. If your Canon came with a utility disc, it should have the Canon version of H.264 (note that might differ from a Canon H.264 for another camera, but should be close). That H.264 CODEC might be a separate, discrete install, might be installed with the camera's driver, or might be installed with some Canon editing/cataloging utility, which would be most common. Even if one is not going to use that software, if the CODEC is part of it, then installation would be a good idea.

Then, one would create a New Project, that should match that Source Footage 100%. When one of the Clips has been dragged to the Timeline, in a properly setup Project, there should be NO red line above that footage, until and Effect, or some sort of overlay, has been added. If there IS a red line initially, then the Project does not match the Source Footage 100%, and it should.

To get the best possible match, between the Source Footage and the Project, it would be best to be working with PrE 10, as it contains more DSLR Presets, and if one has the proper CODEC installed, then editing on a stout computer should go fine.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Will Premiere Elements 10 recognize MOV files?
                      nealeh Level 5

From the specifications on the Canon UK sight that camera can shoot in the following modes.

(Full HD) 1920 x 1080, 24 fps, (HD) 1280 x 720, 30 fps, (L) 640 x 480, 30 fps, (M) 320 x 240, 30 fps

Super Slow Motion Movie (L) 120fps, (M) 240fps

Miniature Effect (HD, L) 6fps, 3fps, 1.5 fps

iFrame Movie (HD)

Try:

• DSLR> 1080p> DSLR1080p24 for the Full HD
                      • DSLR> 720p> DSLR720p60 for the HD (or if that doesn't work AVCHD> AVCHD LITE 720p30)

Cheers,

--

Neale

• 8. Re: Will Premiere Elements 10 recognize MOV files?
                        grifod Level 1

Neal,

I opened a project and imported the .mov file from my camera.  it

doesn't scrub well. I want to convert it to something that scrubs well.   I

select 'share' and then 'computer' because I want to "export a file for

viewing on computers".   I want to convert it to a format that will respond

well on the timeline.  

*     Following your suggestion I looked for a preset that said 'DSLR>

1080p> DSLR1080p24 for the Full HD' under avi '  but only the only options

are dvntsc , pal and Microsoft avi. 

I checked the other formats 'adobe flash' 'mpeg' 'avchd' 'windows media' and

'quicktime'  and none of those have any dslr formats.  Maybe I do not have

all the codec's installed. 

Is there some thing I am missing

dan

Maybe I do not have

• 9. Re: Will Premiere Elements 10 recognize MOV files?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Working with AVCHD and all flavors of H.264 are highly dependent on one's computer, and especially the CPU. A single Pendium D, Duo-Core, or even a slow Quad-Core, will not likely give you good playback. That is why a faster i7 is recommended. I did not see your CPU, but would assume that it is just too slow.

You might want to look into using proxy files for editing, such as are outlined in this ARTICLE. Or, you could get a better CPU, and handle the H.264 material natively.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Will Premiere Elements 10 recognize MOV files?
                            nealeh Level 5

You're looking in the wrong place - at the Share parameters. The recommendations I gave you are for the Project Setting you use when first setting up your project.

You will know if the setting is correct when you add your clips to the timeline. If there is a red bar running across the top of the clip you are using the wrong project setting.

1.png

Cheers,

--

Neale