• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Borderless Printing Issues

Explorer ,
Jan 05, 2012 Jan 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't know if this is the appropriate place to ask this, but I just can't work out how to get a borderless print from Illustrator CS5.5 and my Epson 2100 on Mac OS X 10.7.

I don't print a lot, but now I have a need to do so.  When I was using Windows, I didn't have this issue, but on OS X, I'm struggling.

This is what happens.

I have a A3 document with graphics that go edge to edge.  I select A3 (Sheet feeder - borderless) in the Media size box, and have tried selecting 'Do not Scale' and 'Fit to Page'. Both give the same results, i.e. borderless printing, but the document doesn't fit on the page - it is being cropped.

If I select A3 (Standard - minimise margins) in the Media size box, and either of the options mentioned before, then I get the whole document, but with a small margin all around the paper.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have the right driver installed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Epson 8.61.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use Photo Quicker which comes with the 2100, if not download here. The program supposedly  give you all the options you need including 6x4 borderless and four on an A4 borderless.

I have not used this, but that is what I have heard. My guess is you can't print .ai files through this app, but you should try a universal format like .pdf (which would also hold your vector quality as this inkjet printer probably does not have postscript liscence)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually I have a better solution for you,  you can print through Illustrator if you make a custom page size. There is a video on this page showing you hwo to do that.

http://blog.lexjet.com/2011/07/08/how-to-print-through-adobe-illustrator-and-the-epson-driver/

If your vector objects look bitmapped, then try making a .pdf and printing through acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mike, I appreciate the response, but I'm struggling to see how it helps me.

The printer driver (allegedly) gives me all the options I need, BUT, it doesn't do what it says it does, i.e. the full page, borderless.  I either get a cropped image printed borderless, or the full page printed with minimal borders.

Any further ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are many printers out there that says they are borderless, but all they do is print closer to the edge. I personally believe manufacturos should not be be able to claim borderless, unless they truly are.

Though you have a setting that says borderelss, I would try the 2 suggestions i gave you (the .ppd you have form Epson may not be optimized for Illustrator, as they really program that for the photo quicker. If you want to solve your problem you will have to invest the ink and 2 sheets of paper and find out if your printer can truly print to the edge. Also make sure your paper is inserted properly.

I would call Epson and get their response on the issue, would love to hear their response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike.

I'll try what you suggest a bit later.

The printer does print to the edge OK as I said earlier, but the problem is that the image (document) is cropped, i.e. it doesn't all fit onto the page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is good news if you printed before to the edge before, as that means the hardware is capable of doing this, and we just need to find what is wrong on the software end. How did you print to the edge before, what software did you use?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again, Mike.

It's all in my first post. All done within Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried printing the same doc as a pdf in Adobe Reader.  Same result.  Prints to the edge, but the image is cropped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 06, 2012 Jan 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No one got any ideas on this? It's driving me mad!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 04, 2023 Oct 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

20203 and I am having the SAME EXACT ISSUE!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 08, 2012 Jan 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not familiar with that printer or with small printers that produce borderless prints, but is it possible that you need to add some bleed to image? The printer would have to be extremely precise to print an image exactly to the edge of the paper without bleed.

How much of the image is cropped off? I'd think that if you don't have bleed in your image, the printer would have to enlarge the image by a few percent in order to print to the edge of the paper. So the image would be cropped slightly in the final print.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 08, 2012 Jan 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot for your suggestion.

I don't think that would help.  It worked perfectly well when I was using Windows, and also, it's not just Illustrator as I've discovered, it's all apps, and you wouldn't be able to add bleed in something like Adobe Reader, for example.

I'm beginning to think it's an issue with the driver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 30, 2016 Jan 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is a very old thread, but so are all the threads I find online about this problem and even though years have past, I have the exact same problem, just on a different printer: The printer is physically capable of borderless printing and I have even done so with it, but when printing from Illustrator, Photoshop or Preview, images are scaled up (slightly, to generate bleed) but *still* cropped and finally printed with 3 mm white borders.

Brother says it's just the way things are, but then I discovered that some pdf's I received that are not generated by me, are in fact printed borderless without any problem..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 06, 2016 Feb 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Preview instead of Illustrator to print because I don't use most options anyway. Finally, after many hours of investigating this problem, I found a workaround how to print borderless at 100%.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2024 Apr 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got the same issue.
Illustrator printer settings all setup to print boarderless, the preview shows boarderless, then I print and it comes out with a boarder.
Prints perfectly fine boardless in Photoshop.
Has been driving me insane for the past few hours.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2024 Apr 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you tell me how to set up the Illustrator printer settings to print boarderless? I'd love to be able to make a defualt media size of such, but haven't found info on how to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2024 Apr 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It won't work in illustrator, that's what we're  saying.
It only worked for me in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines