14 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2012 1:09 AM by Sup_Ben

Photoshop CS5 gets tangible slower after a while

Sup_Ben

The subject actually. In half an hour of intensive usage the programm gets slower and finally a simple operation like picking a color with an eyedropper takes seconds. Restarting the programm helps, but it's not very comfortable workflow to restart the PS every 30 mins. I have the PS CS2 installed and it works perfectly as well as other resource-intensive CS5 applications like Illustrator, Flash or InDesign. And yes, have read all official and unofficial advices concerning optimising PS performance and so on. Don't know what system info is relevant to the problem, so here is somewhat:

Adobe Photoshop Version: 12.0.4 (12.0.4x20110407 [20110407.r.1265 2011/04/07:02:00:00 cutoff; r branch]) x64

Operating System: Windows 7 64-bit

Version: 6.1 Service Pack 1

System architecture: Intel CPU Family:6, Model:15, Stepping:7 with MMX, SSE Integer, SSE FP, SSE2, SSE3

Physical processor count: 8

Processor speed: 1995 MHz

Built-in memory: 8190 MB

Memory available to Photoshop: 7203 MB

Memory used by Photoshop: 95 %

Image tile size: 1028K

Image cache levels: 6

Display: 2

Display Bounds:=  top: 0, left: 0, bottom: 1200, right: 1600

Display: 1

Display Bounds:=  top: 0, left: 1600, bottom: 1200, right: 3200

Video Card Number: 1

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS

Driver Version: 8.17.12.8562

Driver Date: 20111015000000.000000-000

Video Mode: 1600 x 1200 x 4294967296 colors

Video Card Caption: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS

Video Card Memory: 320 MB

Photoshop scratch has async I/O enabled

Scratch volume(s):

F:\, 1,82T, 1,16T free

C:\, 111,7G, 47,1G free

Plug-ins that failed to load: NONE

Installed TWAIN devices: NONE

No third-party plugins installed.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Photoshop CS5 gets tangible slower after a while
          c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

What are your Performance preferences?

Have you performed the usual trouble-shooting routines (trashing prefs by keeping command-alt-shift pressed while starting Photoshop, system maintenance like repairing permissions, font validation, etc.)?

• 2. Re: Photoshop CS5 gets tangible slower after a while
            Sup_Ben Level 1

Greetings, c.pfaffenbichler.

Yes, I performed these routines and I have "purge all" under a short-key, that doesh't help as well.

Performance settings: OpenGL enabled in "Normal" mode; cache optimised for larger size files.

• 3. Re: Photoshop CS5 gets tangible slower after a while
              c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

And your History and Scratch Disk settings? (It might be easier just posting a screenshot instead of typing them up.)

• 5. Re: Photoshop CS5 gets tangible slower after a while
                c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

Is C:\ the system drive and why do you not use a secondary scratch disk?

Have you tried decreasing Memory Usage?

Would decreasing the number of History States be feasible?

• 6. Re: Photoshop CS5 gets tangible slower after a while
                  Sup_Ben Level 1

The C:\ is the system drive. I had also a secondary scratch disk checked, but this setting has been reseted recently after another ctrl+alt+shift+start attempt. Like I said, I have the PS CS2 running perfectly with the same settings, including memory usage. I never had any "low memory" messages during PS CS5 sessions. I'll try of course to decrease memory usage, but something says me it's not the reason.

• 7. Re: Photoshop CS5 gets tangible slower after a while
                    c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

»Something« may be right or it may be wrong – unduly high Memory Usage can cause problems.

It is not advisable to use the start up disk as scratch disk at all.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/404/kb404439.html#main_Memory%20Usage

»Adobe recommends that the primary scratch disk is a different hard disk from the one that the OS uses as a startup drive. See Assigning scratch disks in Photoshop CS5 Help for more information.«

• 8. Re: Photoshop CS5 gets tangible slower after a while
                      Curt Y Level 7

It looks like you are starving the computer by using 95% of the RAM for Photoshop. 

Past discussions have indicated you should have at least 2 gigs for the computer. 

So in your case PS should use no more than 5,200 gigs.

• 9. Re: Photoshop CS5 gets tangible slower after a while
                        Level 7

Are you using any third party plugins?  Have you tried disabling them?

Are you switching screen modes often ("f" key)?   (it's an obscure bug)

• 10. Re: Photoshop CS5 gets tangible slower after a while
                          Sup_Ben Level 1

C.pfaffenbichler,  Curt Y, thank you for the advice to optimize memory usage. I'm still experimenting with this - it takes time .

Although the scratch disk is the system disk, I decided to use it because it's a SSD and seems to work ok in this role.

Chris Cox, yes, I switch relatively often screen modes.

And I used a flash-based plugin (color-wheel) a couple of times. I dsabled it, but no changes.

• 11. Re: Photoshop CS5 gets tangible slower after a while
                            Curt Y Level 7

Sup_Ben wrote:

Although the scratch disk is the system disk, I decided to use it because it's a SSD and seems to work ok in this role.

Most agree this is bad idea.  Use a different physical disk for scratch that does not contain program.

Since SSD shines on reading, but not necessarly on writing (and has finate write life) it may not be best choice.

• 12. Re: Photoshop CS5 gets tangible slower after a while
                              pf22 Level 2

Ben, Curt has given you good advice, you need to move your scratch disk to one of the spinners, not the SSD, especially as it is your system disk. Ideally the scratch should be on a separate disk to your system drive regardless, that way Photoshop and the computer itself are not fighting for access, but this is compounded when you're using an SSD.

SSD's wear out, just like an old LP record or tape, and what wears them is writing to them; each memory cell in the drive has a finite number of writes it will accept before it "dies" and becomes read only. Reading from the drive doesn't affect its life in any way, shape or form, so the ideal configuration for an SSD is for it to be used only for your OS and applications, because once everything is loaded, the vast majority of the activity on the drive will be reads.

SSD's are fantastically complex, and this is a great article which should give you an introduction to the core technologies and principles involved in their operation.

Now, after saying that, I've just built a new system with an SSD for my system drive, and I'm going to "recycle" my old systems SSD and install it as the scratch disk for Photoshop; it should speed up the operation of the program itself by orders of magnitude, and it'll be interesting to see how long the old SSD lasts!

Another piece of advice; if you were to buy a small SSD for Photoshop, do not buy one with a "Sandforce Controller." Once again this is all horribly complex - Google is your friend here - but basically the Controller is where the "magic" happens in an SSD, not in the NAND Flash itself. The fastest drives out there right now all have Sandforce Controllers, but, that speed comes at a price; the drive will basically choke, slow down, sometimes to speeds below that of a mechanical drive, if it has to handle data that cannot be compressed, such as - you guessed it - image files, movies, and music!

Good luck

Paul

• 13. Re: Photoshop CS5 gets tangible slower after a while
                                Level 7

If you change screen modes a lot, then you may be hitting an obscure bug that we discovered recently.

Email ccox at adobe dot com and I'll put you in touch with the folks who've been investigating it.

• 14. Re: Photoshop CS5 gets tangible slower after a while
                                  Sup_Ben Level 1

pf22, thanks a lot for this comprehensive info about SSD! I'm not yet ready to rebuild the whole system, but purchasing a new SSD for cache and scratch purposes is a good idea.

Just wanted to report that switching the scratch disk to a separate drive and manipulating memory usage prefs affected nothing. The issue accures also when system reports a huge amount of free memory and Photoshop's scratch file has enough room to grow either.

Chris Cox, overhitting of GPU was my very first thought. I even disassembled my  graphics card and cleaned the fun with heatsink. Monitoring  GPU temperature  indicates 50-60 grad.C that's rather accaptable.

I still tend to assume it's a kind of graphic card problem, since memory/scratch optimization was not effective and from all other CS5 applications only  PS intensively uses OpenGL (right?). Switching OpenGL off doesn't help. On the other hand I never had any problem with this card (NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS) before, not with video nor with games.

Well, anyway I have PS CS2 for work. Maybe I'll get some new graphic card with the lapse of time.