10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 24, 2013 9:13 PM by Todd_Kopriva

Best tutorial about After Effects?

Graco12

Hi people!

Look..i'm newbie. And i need to  learn how to work with Adobe After Effects ASAP for business purposes. I really need to learn it fast (well...at leats the fastest that it can be learn. I think that my IQ get me able to do that lol)

So... do you guys know about a good e-book, or a tutorial series that can teach you the A to Z (especially KINECT/ DYNAMIC TYPOGRAPHY)?

Or a web site that have all the information that i need (for free,of course ; ) )

Thank you vary much,fellas!

C.G

• 1. Re: Best tutorial about After Effects?
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

Learning After Effects A to Z for FREE?  And FAST

Good luck with that one!  It ain't happenin', bud! 

You have a choice to make: 

• Use the many, many freebie AE tutorials available, and get a spotty and VERY time-consuming education.

• Open up your wallet for a comprehensive AE COURSE (not a tutorial) which you follow step-by-step at your own pace.

So name your poison, and we'll make recommendations.  The ball's in your court.

• 2. Re: Best tutorial about After Effects?
            Graco12 Level 1

Ok bro... so..lets be direct up here

A need to now ASAP how to make KINECT/DYNAMIC typography.I know that you know that i know that you know what it's that all about. ; )

So...any suggestions of a good tutorial or video that teach you how to do it?

Thanks!

• 3. Re: Best tutorial about After Effects?
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

Yeah, let's be direct.

Are you working in HD?  SD?  What's the delivery medium?  What's the frame rate?  What's the delivery codec?  What's the playback device?  Do you have to worry about interlacing?  Does your typography have to be in 3D?  Any video footage to be incorporated into your animations?  If there's video, any chance that you'll have to isolate the subject from the background?  What kind of subject are we talkin' here: people moving around, or something inanimate?

Those would be the BASICS of any motion graphics project, and you have to know 'em before you even THINK about beginning your animation.  You can't blow 'em off.  If you do, AE will put you in a world of hurt.  You can't learn one or two tricks in AE and think you've got it nailed.

AE rewards those who learn the basics, and punishes the newcomer who thinks, "Hey, how tough can this stuff be?" and decides to blow off the basics.

So let's be direct again:  go to videocopilot.net.  Look at the AE basic training.  It's probably the best way to get a feel for the application.  You can pick and choose your tutorials.  Don't be surprised if the AE tools Andrew Kramer uses aren't in the same place as your AE tools are located; sometimes things get moved from version to version.

You can also get the ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY grounding in how the application works by going here.  Without it, you'll be lost.

You can also google the topic of motion graphics, find a few tutorials, and get cookin'.  But as I said, that's probably going to be hit-and-miss.

Yeah, I know a good bit about Motion Graphics, but that's because I've been using the program for more than a decade.  I don't have the time to write involved posts meant to teach anybody for free, nor does anybody else in this forum.  So that's out.

Long story short: there ain't no one single tutorial that will teach you the subject of Motion Graphics, because it's too broad and too deep.  Put your helmet on: you're in for a longer and more involved ride than you think.

Direct enough for you?

• 4. Re: Best tutorial about After Effects?
                Dave LaRonde Level 6

I would be remiss if I didn't  tell you about a really good book on the topic of AE & Motion graphics.

• 5. Re: Best tutorial about After Effects?
                  Dave LaRonde Level 6

Here's more good freebie stuff: on the Creative COW, Andrew Devis has a series of tutorials called "AE Basics".  I think he's up to part 32 now.  Again, you can pick & choose, but I don't know if I'd recommend it.

Check 'em out.  You'll find them in this list.

• 6. Re: Best tutorial about After Effects?
                    bogiesan Level 4

https://partner.video2brain.com/angietaylor/courses.htm

Graco12 wrote:

Ok bro... so..lets be direct up here

A need to now ASAP how to make KINECT/DYNAMIC typography.I know that you know that i know that you know what it's that all about. ; )

So...any suggestions of a good tutorial or video that teach you how to do it?

Thanks!

We see this exact same post about once a month around here. So there exists a reliably and thoroughly documented precedent for Dave's responses. You can searcdh the forum for "kinetic typography" and you will find those conversations. Some of them may have good links for you to follw but you caould also try to contact the authors to see how they ended up dealing with their sudden and hurried and mission critical and crucial needs to become experts in an artform using materials and crafts systems they've never seen before. It's tough.

You can help similar seekers tremendously by returning after your project is successfully behind you and letting us know what resources served you well. Post those links to the online tutorials and other research your performed.

There is a great book/DVD on the market from Angie Taylor and our own Todd Kopriva. It's targeted precisely at people like you who need to or want to get up to speed quickly. Here are some other useful links from Ms Taylor. Don't let that ring in her nose scare ya.

http://www.angietaylor.co.uk/

http://angietaylor.wordpress.com/tag/todd-kopriva/

https://partner.video2brain.com/angietaylor/courses.htm

http://www.angietaylor.co.uk/kinetic-typography-techniques-for-after-effects/

http://www.angietaylor.co.uk/font-links-for-kinetic-typography/

• 7. Re: Best tutorial about After Effects?
                      bogiesan Level 4

To give you an idea of what you're up against, Angie's superb kinetic typography workshop will cost you US$50 and the video segments run about 8 hours. For you to explore the techniques on your own requires another 8 to 20 hours of homework. And this is not a beginner's course. Before you can think about starting Angie Taylor's course, she assumes you have a basic grounding in how After Effects functions, you understand the interface, you know how to render, you know how to import and you understand how your computer works with huge render-intensive processing. That's another 8 or 20 hours of online tutorials or reading textbooks.

I've been using AE for 20 years. I only understand about 20% of it and I learn something new ever time I start a project.

• 8. Re: Best tutorial about After Effects?
                        bogiesan Level 4

These are superbly informative and helpful answers and suggestions to your original inquiry.

Have you tried any of them?

Message was edited by: bogiesan

• 9. Re: Best tutorial about After Effects?
                          cameron malott Level 1

Hey Guys,

I am in the other camp; I would like to take the time to learn After Effects CC from the ground up; and I am willing to shell out some money for a good tutorial. I have a small amount of experience in Photoshop, and I have edited one complete video (with plenty of layers, keyframe motion, and some garbage mattes) in Premiere Pro. Here is the video:

I am a member of Creative Cloud, so I have access to the training videos they provoide; would methodically going through them provide enough knowledge to start creating media, or am I better off investing in an entire course produced by the same company? If the latter is true, can you make any specific recommendations?

I should also mention that the primary thing I want to learn is motion graphics; I don't plan on doing a lot of compositing or visual effects at this point.

Cameron

• 10. Re: Best tutorial about After Effects?
                            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Start here to learn After Effects: http://adobe.ly/bjBT3P

That page links to several good resources, including the After Effects: Learn By Video series by Angie Taylor and me, a DVD and book series created specifically to teach the basics of After Effects.

I also highly recommend the Creating Motion Graphics and After Effects Apprentice books by Chris and Trish Meyer, as well as their videos on Lynda.com. Chris and Trish are the best teachers about After Effects, hands down.

Go here for additional resources: http://adobe.ly/c06llu