14 Replies Latest reply on Jan 31, 2012 4:38 PM by RobertBoy

Will a Revodrive SSD help video editing

RobertBoy Level 1

I am currently using a HD-based system in my video editing computer and would like to upgrade this.  I have read about the OCZ Revodrive SSD which I would like to use for Win7-64 OS plus a few programs.  I assume this will help?

Also, there are two models I am looking at - the Revodrive 3X2 and the X2.  the 3X2 is more money, but it's specs are better.  For example, the X2 shows read/write speeds of 740/720 MB/s and 120,000 IOPS.  The 3X2 shows speeds of 1500/1225 MB/s and 200,000 IOPS.  I'm not sure if the increased numbers of the 3X2 will justify the cost.  Anybody have any experience with these or any thoughts based no the specs?  I understand read/write speed, but IOPS is a bit unclear to me.

• 1. Re: Will a Revodrive SSD help video editing
          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

No, a SSD will not help with editing.  It will load your programs faster but once they are in memory (as long as you have lots of memory) it will not improve your Premiere Pro experience.

• 2. Re: Will a Revodrive SSD help video editing
            RobertBoy Level 1

There is something I have been wondering about regarding my original question.  Looking at ATTO results, my HDD's numbers are about 100 to 200.  The Revodrive gets about 800 and there is a new version that should get about 1400 or more with 200,000 IOPS.  I am certainly not an expert with these things, but it would seem to me that taking the idea of using several hard drives for all the disk I/O might be better served if you could use one disk (the OCZ  Revodrive card).  By the way, the Revodrive is basically an SSD on a PCI card.  Since you are not limited by the bandwidth of the SATA connection, the PCI bus has much more bandwidth.  I would appreciate your comments since I am trying to understand all of this.

• 3. Re: Will a Revodrive SSD help video editing
              Harm Millaard Level 7

If you only use small projects, say 500 GB or less, you can get by with a single Revodrive of 960 GB for a measly € 3000, but the question remains, does your mobo support all the required PCI-e lanes? Even if it does, for the same investment I can get a raid array that delivers 50% better transfer rates, gives security against disk failure and gives me around 10+ times the storage capacity, all for the same amount of less, even with today's inflated prices for conventional disks.

Suppose your mobo supports the required lanes (X79), what would you rather have:

• 960 GB storage with R/W speeds of 750/720 MB/s as claimed by the manufacturer (and I've gotta see it, before I believe it, said the blind man)
              • 18 TB storage with R/W speeds in excess of 1000 MB/s WITH security against disk failure

both for the same price? The question is simple, the answer IMO even more.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Will a Revodrive SSD help video editing
                RobertBoy Level 1

OK.  You have my attention now.  What would it take to get 1000MB/s throughput?  I do have an X79 motherboard.  In fact it has 8 SATA ports.  I list them below with my current collection of drives.

1 (6GB/s)  2 TB WD Black

2 (6GB/s)  2 TB WD Black

3 (3GB/s)  750GB

4 (3GB/s)  750GB

5 (3GB/s)  1 TB WD Black in Raid0 using Marvell Raid

6 (3GB/s)  1 TB WD Black in Raid0 using Mavell Raid

7 CD/DVD Burner

8 Removable drive bay for backup

• 5. Re: Will a Revodrive SSD help video editing
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Two requirements:

1. Areca ARC-1882iX-16 raid controller with 4 GB cache and a BBM, around € 950
                  2. 14 x Hitachi 7K3000 1.5 TB disks @ € 141, total around € 1970

Total investment around € 2920. Effective storage capacity as noted below.

Array configured as 12 x R30 + 2 Hot-spares if security is an issue (15 TB), otherwise 12 x R3 + 2 hot-spares if speed is more important (16.5TB) or 13 x R3 + 1 hot-spare (18 TB).

Your current collection of disks, being mainly WD Caviar Black, is not suitable for parity arrays, due to the WDTLER issues.

• 6. Re: Will a Revodrive SSD help video editing
                    RobertBoy Level 1

1970 Euro is about $2500 USD.  This is way out of my budget.  I was looking at the Revo that costs about $675 (or approx 500 Euro).  Even that is hard to justify.  I was thinking of maybe getting an LSI 9260-4i or maybe the 8i.  Then I could possibly add 4 SSD drives in raid0.  That probably wouldn't achieve the 1000 MB/s throughput, but might be close.

Is there another low cost option?  By low cost, I will have about $700 (520 Euro) to spend.  I am aware that it might not be the fastest thing around, but will be an improvement over what I have now.

• 7. Re: Will a Revodrive SSD help video editing
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

That is probably the 240 GB version and that is hardly enough storage for a normal project, at least not with the kind of projects I usually have. That would only allow me around 4 hours of P2 AVC-Intra without projects files, previews, media cache, and exports, so effectively I would be limited to maximum 2-3 hours source material. If using multi-cam with 4 cameras, then the maximum duration would be around 40 minutes per camera at most. Hardly feasible.

• 8. Re: Will a Revodrive SSD help video editing
                        RobertBoy Level 1

My needs are not quite the magnitude of yours, however, I am not totally sold on that approach anyway. 

What do you think about the LSI 9260?

• 9. Re: Will a Revodrive SSD help video editing
                          Harm Millaard Level 7

The LSI 9260 is a great controller card with three major differences to the earlier mentioned Areca. It has a fixed 512 MB cache memory, not upgradeable to 4 GB, it lacks raid3 or raid30 support and it has only 8 ports, where the price above for the Areca was based on the 16 port model.

• 10. Re: Will a Revodrive SSD help video editing
                            RobertBoy Level 1

Thanks for your help.  You have been very helpful.  I think I may spring for the LSI controller.  One last question:

I also see an LSI 9265 - 8i.  It looks to be the same as the 9260 except it has 1GB of memory instead of the 512.  Will this help any?  The difference is $165, and if it gives a benefit, I will consider this option over the 9260.

• 11. Re: Will a Revodrive SSD help video editing
                              Harm Millaard Level 7

That is a very steep price. If you consider that the 4 GB DDR3-ECC module on the Areca costs around € 40, then the price difference does not seem worthwhile on the LSI card.

• 12. Re: Will a Revodrive SSD help video editing
                                RobertBoy Level 1

But will I get any benefit from going from 512 to 1GB on the controller card?

• 13. Re: Will a Revodrive SSD help video editing
                                  Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

RobertBoy wrote:

Then I could possibly add 4 SSD drives in raid0.  That probably wouldn't achieve the 1000 MB/s throughput, but might be close.

I am not sure about putting SSD's in any RAID configuration.  In the past there was no way to maintain good performance as Microsoft's TRIM will not work on a RAID array.  So as you use it the performance will seriously degrade. 

I have a 1000 MB/s array it is my Areca ARC-1880-ix16 with eight Seagate enterprise drives (ST9146852SS) 15,000 rpm 2.5-inch 147.6 GB drives in RAID 0. 

• 14. Re: Will a Revodrive SSD help video editing
                                    RobertBoy Level 1

I currently use all hard drives on my video editing computer, but would like to upgrade to improve my disk I/O.  I do have a limited budget, but considered using a Revodrive or possibly a true hardware raid controller card.  I think I have eliminated the Areca card because of cost - it doesn't really matter if it's cheaper to upgrade or is a faster option - the original cost is out of reach for me.  I think I have also ruled out the Revodrive, although it still sounds good to me for the way I might use it.  The last option seems to be the best for me.  That is, the LSI series of true hardware raid cards.  I think I have narrowed that choice down to the LSI 9260 vs the 9265.  The 9260 having 512k of onboard memory and the 9265 having 1GB of memory.  Right now I am trying to understand whether the 1GB of memory will give me any benefit over the 512.  The other part of this last option is what to use with it.  I have good backup, so will probably use Raid0.  The next question is whether to use SSD's or HDD's.  I think I may just use the HDD's because of the lack of TRIM in the SSD's.  So based on this background here are my questions:

1) Will the 1GB of onboard memory give me any benefit over the 512?

2) Which HDD's (in the 500GB each range) would make good raid0 drives?