6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2012 11:05 AM by bobdavisnpf

Dealing With FPS & The Interweb

PProCS10 Level 1

So, I have a project that I'll be working on soon that deals with several elements from several different sources.

Element A is the RAW footage shot in SD 29.97. I'll be cutting this together with several other graphical elements. Here's where it gets a bit tricky. Five of these graphics are at 29.97. However, the other two are at both 25fps and 23.976fps. Now, I know simply just interpreting them in AE would conform them and that would be the end of it, but they have sounds effects that require a specific timing that can't be altered and also, I'd rather not change the overall speeds.

Thus, how do I handle this? I know I could simply create sequences for each one with a custom frame rate matching each footage, but eventually these all have to go into a single timeline with a standardize FPS. Also, since I'll be out putting this to the web, how do I juggle these and then get it all exported down to the correct frame rate?

I notice the Premiere Pro's YouTube pre-set has it default at 24fps. I'm assuming this is the optimal output.

So I guess this is where I'm confused. Should I try to convert my other footage down to 24 or convert the handful of 24 up to match the rest of my footage at 29.97?

• 1. Re: Dealing With FPS & The Interweb
          PProCS10 Level 1

QUICK UPDATE

Since posting this I did a few experiments. Here are the results:

1) I rendered the 25fps graphic out as a uncompressed avi file and dropped it into an AE comp. Then, I made a copy of the video and brought that into AE but interpreted it as 29.97. When compared to the original 25fps clip, it's definitely shorter, assuming it has to speed it up to compensate for the extra frames that aren't' there.

2) I went back into the original AE project file and under the Composition Settings, changed the pre-set from 25fps to 29.97. This seems to have changed the fps but have absolute no effect of the length in the original comp. Now, when I compare this clip (now rendered at 29.97) it is the same length and speed as the original 25fps.

On the surface this seems to have solved the issue of uniforming all the clips to the same fps without altering the speed or duration.

Not that I'm complaining, but I am curious as to how/why this worked.

• 2. Re: Dealing With FPS & The Interweb
            NS2HD Level 1

YouTube Framrate

Premiere Pro's YouTube preset is outdated, 24fps is not optimal for youtube. The best thing you can do is give youtube the highest framerate you can. At the moment, your upload will be converted and played back at 29.97. However, whatever you upload is stored and used as the source material as their system changes (Which it does constantly.) So if your source material is 29.97, upload at 29.97. If it's 60 and you can swing the bitrate, upload at 60.

Also, don't fall for the myth that there is a 'YouTube format that will not be re-encoded.' Everything you upload to YouTube will be rencoded using your upload as the source. So just give them the highest bitrate, original FPS format, so they can do their thing.

Rest of the Question

I can't quite work out what your worflow is from reading your descriptions. But there is one general rule of using Creative Suite, you should not have to have any intermediate encodes. If you are encoding something and then re-importing it into a PPro or AE composition, you're very, very likely to be doing something wrong. Do you reckon you could describe your workflow in steps?

• 3. Re: Dealing With FPS & The Interweb
              Jim_Simon Level 8

The best thing you can do is give youtube the highest framerate you can.

I disagree.  The best thing you can do is give YouTube a file whose frame rate matches that of the source media.  The worst thing you can do is change the frame rate from what it was to something new.

• 4. Re: Dealing With FPS & The Interweb
                bobdavisnpf

Youtube does seem to do well these days with high FPS media.  My AVCHD 1080/60p files, edited & encoded to a 1080/30p MP4, looked choppy at a youtube-default 360p, but played fine at 1080p.

• 5. Re: Dealing With FPS & The Interweb
                  shooternz Level 6

Youtube does seem to do well these days with high FPS media.  My AVCHD 1080/60p files, edited & encoded to a 1080/30p MP4, looked choppy at a youtube-default 360p, but played fine at 1080p

You seem to be confusing 360p and 1080p as the "framerate"

• 6. Re: Dealing With FPS & The Interweb
                    bobdavisnpf Level 1

Good point... my 60p files are presumably 60 full frames per second.  I was assuming Youtube is doing 30 full frames per second when they say 360p or 1080p.  But I was also kind of missing the point and thinking of it as a file size or bandwidth issue, given that 360p would be less data than 1080p.