2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2012 8:55 AM by pianored1

InDesign CS5.5--can't generate live captions

pianored1

Having used Bridge to insert metadata descriptions and copyright info in my graphics files, and having done "caption setup" in Objects Menu, I find that the Captions Submenu choices for "Generate Live Caption" and "Generate Static Caption" are greyed out. I am doing an ebook with inline pictures and have placed the jpegs at the beginning of paragraphs. I can't replicate any of the smooth successes depicted in all the "How To" videos. What am I doing wrong, please?

• 1. Re: InDesign CS5.5--can't generate live captions
          Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can't add a live caption to an inline image.

You would have to add the caption before making it an inline object. And you have to group them both together to make them inline.

Bizarely - when you group them and make them an inline object, the Inline image will preserve the live caption.

Perhaps some clever scripter can achieve this - but I don't know how.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: InDesign CS5.5--can't generate live captions
            pianored1 Level 1

Many thanks! Hope there's a script out there, with multi-chapter epubs growing by leaps and bounds. I also found this comment on another forum page from Peter Spier: "To group the image and the frame with the caption you'll need to "unanchor" the image first by selecting the frame and cutting. Paste temporarily on the pasteboard, position the caption frame, group, then cut and paste back into the text. You may need to adjust the "anchored object options" for the anchored group after pasting." Your comment and his will give me a direction for the dozens of images I already positioned inline. After that, much smoother sailing, understanding this part of the mechanics.