22 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2012 10:51 AM by SeeingU2
      • 1. Re: avi
        Nash_John Level 3

Refer to the following thread

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4058510

1 person found this helpful
        • 2. Re: avi
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

As John says, what model of camcorder is this video from and how did you get it into your computer?

There are thousands of possible codecs at work in an AVI, and most non-camcorder codecs will not work in this video editing program.

• 3. Re: avi
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

John Nash has pointed to a forum thread, where John T. Smith linked to a Tips & Tricks article, "Problem with AVI," that explains the concept that AVI (and many other file formats) are but "wrappers," and it's what is inside that wrapper, that defines the file. That linked article also tells how to find out the CODEC inside the wrapper, with G-Sport, or MediaInfo.

AVI's can contain almost anything. Fairly recently, some camera mfgrs. have been using the MJPEG CODEC, and placing that into an AVI wrapper. If your camera does use the MJPEG CODEC, see this ARTICLE.

Note, while there are several MJPEG CODEC's out there, if that is what your camera shoots, the mfgr. should have included it on the camera's utility disc. It could be a separate install, or might install with the camera's driver, or most often, with editing/cataloging software on that disc. In the case of the latter, you will want to install the editing/cataloging software, even if you do not plan on using it - you need the proper CDOEC installed on your system, and since many camera mfgrs. "tweak" certain CODEC's, having their version is always best.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: avi
              ginger7788 Level 1

I use my still camera--GE 14.1 megapixel A1455

I just put my SD card from camera into computer to transfer my files straight to a folder.

Thanks for trying to help me. I'm going to go read the links and see if I can figure this out. I've never used video editing software before, but I love Photoshop Elements and have used it for years. My first task with Premiere was to capture a still picture from a video...

Thanks again, Ginger

• 5. Re: avi

This is most likely an MJPEG-AVI, as Bill indicates.

Open the video in a program like Media Info or G Spot and see it lists as the codec, dimensions and frame rate.

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

• 6. Re: avi
                  ginger7788 Level 1

Thanks for the help, guys. I've read the threads and links you pointed me to; thank you. I installed GSpot and checked my avi file with it, and it said MJPEG, codecs are installed. So now what? My video file comes from my still camera:  GE 14.1 megapixel A1455. What should I do next?

• 7. Re: avi
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Ginger,

For working with Still Images in a Video Project, this ARTICLE will definitely be worth reading. Now, there are some replies, that relate ONLY to PrPro CS5/5.5, so you can skim over those. It will be best to Scale your Still Images in an image-editing program, before you Import them into PrE.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: avi
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

In that MJPEG article that I linked to above, you will see links to some common MJPEG CODEC's, but I first recommend looking carefully at the utility disc, that came with your camera, as mfgrs. love to tweak their own version of MJPEG, and that will be best.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: avi
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Also, being new to PrE, this is a partial LIST of some great learning resources, and many by our very own Steve Grisetti.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: avi
                          ginger7788 Level 1

Thanks, Hunt, for your patient help. I'm very new and dumb. I read

your article you linked below; thank you. But I want to get a still

image from a video, so I can't use Photoshop until I acquire the still

image from Premiere, right?  I want to get a still image or two that I

can use in Photoshop.  Sorry I'm so slow and confused. I appreciate your

help! Thanks, Ginger

• 11. Re: avi
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

For a Still Image from Video, there is a neat little "camera" icon in the Timeline, that will do a Frame-capture. That can be Saved to the folder of your choice, and can then be edited in PS.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: avi
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Also, you will be limited in the format of the still Frame-Capture out of PrE, and I like TIFF. I am not a big fan of JPEG compression, and after I edit the TIFF in Photoshop, I just do a Save_As PSD, and Import that PSD into PrE.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: avi
                                ginger7788 Level 1

Thanks again, Hunt, but I still haven't been able to import my avi even though my codec MJPG is installed....

• 14. Re: avi
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Did you install the camera's MJPEG CODEC, and then reboot the computer?

For your camera, where was that MJPEG CODEC located, an editing/cataloging program?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 15. Re: avi
                                    ginger7788 Level 1

Just now, I installed the software that came with the camera and rebooted my computer. I installed all the software that came with it, including the ArcImpression Photo editing software.  I again tried to import the same video file, and I got the same message... Any more ideas?

• 16. Re: avi
                                      SeeingU2

I have the same problem. What puzle me is that the video from Canon Ixus 960 works just fine in the Organizer ? Why can’t PrE use this codec?

• 17. Re: avi
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Then it sounds like Canon did not include their version of the MJPEG CODEC. In my article, linked above, I linked to both the Morgan and the MainConcept MJPEG CODEC's. Looks like one of those might be needed.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 18. Re: avi
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Whether a particular NLE (Non Linear Editor) program can use a particular CODEC is dependent on the CODEC.

This ARTICLE will give you more information.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 19. Re: avi
                                            ginger7788 Level 1

After reading all these links and articles and spending most of the day trying to figure out this problem, I've still had no success. I've reinstalled my camera's disk and all its software; I've reinstalled Premiere. I used GSpot and it said the codec MJPG was installed. I've looked into those two program MainConcepts and Morgan something, but I don't really understand them. Neither one seemed simple enough for me to grasp; neither had a "download" button. One talked about a license, and the other had so many boxes to check with acronyms I did not understand. ??? Anyone know where to go from here?

• 20. Re: avi
                                              SeeingU2 Level 1

I'm with you bro. I forgot why I gave up on this five year ago. I thought the world had moved on and if I stayed with one of the major camera brands Adobe would support it out of the box. This really bugs me.

I'm on Windows 7 and wonder if the codec used in the Organizer where playback works fine is 32bit and not compatibel with 64bit PrE?

The path I'm pursuing now is not to install more crap on my computer. I'm currently trying to see if VLC can help me convert video as I've alredy have it installed.

• 21. Re: avi

While Bill's tips sometimes work, as a general rule MJPEG video can not be edited in Premiere Elements. You'll need to convert this file to an editable DV-AVI, as described in the FAQs to the right of this forum.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415317

• 22. Re: avi
                                                  SeeingU2 Level 1

OK, here is what I ended up with. Canon ZoomBrowser do have a Movie Export function that support H.264 output. It will not compress audio, but output raw PCM that PrE seems to handle well.

I tested the recommended Morgan J-PEG codec. It seems to work, but at 20€ + 25% tax it adds more than 50% the PrE cost. I'm thinking this might the main reason M-PEG is not well supported in PrE.