7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2013 1:26 AM by NigelStrudwick

InDesign CS 5 keeps crashing upon startup

kingrool

Hello, my InDesign application keeps crashing upon startup. My other Adobe applications are working fine though. I've tried restarting my macbook pro but it still doesnt work. Do help me.

Here's the crash report: http://pastebin.com/L0ieryq5

• 1. Re: InDesign CS 5 keeps crashing upon startup
          Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You've got a plugin ShuksanInit or something like that. Try removing this if you're not using it. Use the Extension Manager.

• 2. Re: InDesign CS 5 keeps crashing upon startup
            John Hawkinson Level 5

You've got a plugin ShuksanInit or something like that. Try removing this if you're not using it. Use the Extension Manager.

Ah, no. Shuksan is the codename for InDesign. It's always there.

This crash is from 7.0.0.355. Upgrade to 7.0.4 and repost.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: InDesign CS 5 keeps crashing upon startup
              kingrool Level 1

Thank you so much! That worked!

Though now a pop-up message appears every single time i load indesign saying,

"Adobe InDesign cannot load the InCopyImport.InDesignPlugin plug-in. The InCopyImport.InDesignPlugin plug-in requres the debug version of InDesign. Please contact the vendor to get a compatible version of InCopyImport.InDesignPlugin plug-in."

What did i do wrong?

• 4. Re: InDesign CS 5 keeps crashing upon startup
                John Hawkinson Level 5

Wow.

That is...pretty special. It should not be possible for you to get that error message through normal means. (Edit: Added "not.")

As a workaround, drag /Applications/Adobe InDesign CS5/Plug-Ins/InCopyWorkflow/InCopyImport.InDesignPlugin out of the Plug-Ins folder. Some people like to put them in /Applications/Adobe InDesign/CS5/Plug-Outs. This assumes you don't work with InCopy files, as most InDesign users do not.

For every version of InDesign, there are two builds. The regular release build, that everyone uses. And a special Debug Build of InDesign, which is used internally to Adobe, and also by 3rd party C++ plugin developers enhancing InDesign. The Debug build runs much much slower and has a lot of internal consistency checks that are used to ensure that the version of InDesign we all use works properly.

For every plugin, including the internal ones we don't think much about (of which there are hundreds!), they must be built for either the Debug Build or the Release Build, and they are not compatible. This is because there are changes to various data structures in the Debug build.

This error message means you have the InCopyImport plugin from the Debug build. This should not be easy to accomplish. Adobe doesn't make the Debug Build generally available -- in fact, those people who want it have to jump through some rather crazy hoops to get it.

How did you update InDesign? Did you use the Update menu? Did you download the update from adobe.com by hand? DId you get a copy from a colleague in some non-standard way?

I can't really think how this could have happened. And furthermore, how it would happen only to 1 plugin out of the scores that changed in 7.0.4.

This is quite mysterious.

• 5. Re: InDesign CS 5 keeps crashing upon startup
                  kingrool Level 1

Wow. That's quite complicated.

Actually, these are the other plug-ins that gave me the similar pop-up error message. I removed them and put them in another folder as you said called Plug-outs and there are no more error messages that pop-up upon starting.

Username UI.InDesignPlugin

InCopyImport.InDesignPlugin

InCopyExportUI.InDesignPlugin

InCopyExport.InDesignPlugin

InCopy Bridge.InDesignPlugin

InCopy Bridge UI.InDesignPlugin

Assignment UI.InDesignPlugin

Oh and I downloaded the update from Adobe.com, so it should be reliable right? I hope that my inDesign can still function properly without those plug-ins. :/ Or should I do a clean reinstall of everything?

• 6. Re: InDesign CS 5 keeps crashing upon startup
                    John Hawkinson Level 5

These plugins are only relevant to InDesign if you are exchange assignments with InCopy users. For most users of InDesign, that never happens.

It's hard for me to imagine how you could have ended up in this situation. Perhaps a clean re-install is a good idea.

It doesn't look like it is necessary, but something very strange happened here. Who knows what other strangeness there might be?

But again, I can't fathom how you could have downloaded the debug version of the plugins.

And even less, I can't fathom how you would have the debug version of only the InCopy-related plugins.

I mean, if you told us you copied some files from a colleague who does C++ development for InDesign, then it would make sense. But short of that, it does not.

I assume the updater you downloaded was AdobeInDesign7_0_4Patch-All.dmg?

All I can say is "Special."

• 7. Re: InDesign CS 5 keeps crashing upon startup
                      NigelStrudwick

Am coming to this issue rather after the event.  However, I recently had the same problem, along with ID5.5 crashing every time on opening a document under Mac OS 10.8.4. It turned out the problem lay in the ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Linguistics directory. Deleting that directory fixed my crash and also stopping the odd warnings noted above.