6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 8, 2012 2:05 AM by nealeh

Elements 10 - Low on system Memory (but it isn't true!)

DakZingle

Hi,

Running Elements 10 on dual-core Pentium-D (2.5 Ghz), XP-SP3, 4Gb ram, hard drive 460Gb free.

Trying to render 37 mins of SD footage captured from Canon video cam (no stills), the following are applied

Auto-Colour with 1 sec temporal smoothing.

Neat Video noise reduction (V3 Pro).

All went well for the first 46 HOURS of rendering during which it only rendered 25 minutes of footage....

then the dreaded "low on system memory" followed by "transcoding error".

What a waste of 2 days.

When I look at task manager though I see the following

Elements 10 - real memory 1,342,604k, vm - 1,345,364k

Physical memory          - 3144108k

AVAILABLE                   - 866,559

Commit charge limit     - 6125565

Peak                              - 2553756

I fail to see how anything is "low on system memory", there is tons of it left.

What am I failing to see or understand?

• 1. Re: Elements 10 - Low on system Memory (but it isn't true!)
          the_wine_snob Level 9

There is more to Memory and Resources, than just the installed RAM.

Take a look at this ARTICLE. The first part is a checklist on setting up your computer to run PrE, and then there are more links below. The two to see are The Clean, Lean, Mean Editing Machine, and then Memory & Resources. They go into much more detail.

My first guess would be that your Resources are being taken by other programs and processes, or that your Windows Virtual Memory (Page File) settings are not adequate.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Elements 10 - Low on system Memory (but it isn't true!)
            DakZingle Level 1

My initial thought was disk space or paging file, but the system is set up as

3 gig real memory (4 but win only sees 3)

3 gig virutal memory (paging file)

giving 6 gig in total, the commit figure never got anywhere near that, the minimum real memory free was 800 meg.

Even if the "peak commit" was all paging file there was still 500 meg free.

I have increased the page file to 10 gig and run a manual and boot-time defrag with diskkepper 2011 so we'll see how it goes.

• 3. Re: Elements 10 - Low on system Memory (but it isn't true!)
              the_wine_snob Level 9

With a 32-bit OS, I like to keep the Virtual Memory to about 2.5x the installed RAM, or ~ 8GB for the Page File. I also like to have that Page File managed statically, rather than the default dynamic management. This provides many pluses, and especially with video editing. Mine is set to 12GB static, and is located on my E:\ drive. It was created, when that drive was 100% empty, so always is created at boot, in the inner-most area of the platters, and is the same place all of the time.

How many running processes/programs, does Task Manager show, when you boot up the computer? Likely, there will be many that are unnecessary, and many can get in the way of video-editing.

Much of that is covered in those two specific linked articles.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Elements 10 - Low on system Memory (but it isn't true!)
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Even on a Pentium D (which is about as low processing power as I'd dare to use this program with) your rendering should not have taken more than 2 hours is everything was properly set up.

Are you saying this is tape-based miniDV footage captured over a FireWire connection and loaded into a project set up for standard DV?

If not, please be more specific.We need to know exactly what we're dealing with so we can show you how to work around it with your somewhat underpowered laptop.

• 5. Re: Elements 10 - Low on system Memory (but it isn't true!)
                  DakZingle Level 1

Yes, it is tape based DV footage captured over firewire from a Canon MV430. It is PAL widescreen. It's my main desktop though not a laptop :-)

As I need to get this project finished I am doing this as a workaround

1. Create three separate project files each with around 12 minutes of footage

2. Save those to an .avi file (about 15 hours to create each output file)

3. Done two of the three so far

4. Import those back in - now as fully processed with all colour correction & noise reduction done.

5. Save back out with menu as "DVD" to a folder for burning.

I got a new full HD videocam for Christmas, looks like I'll be having to save for a new computer to do anything with that footage ...

• 6. Re: Elements 10 - Low on system Memory (but it isn't true!)
                    nealeh Level 5

DakZingle wrote:

2. Save those to an .avi file (about 15 hours to create each output file)

I'm pleased to hear you have a workaround but fifteen hours to render twelve minutes suggests that you have other pretty big problems. It just should not take anything like that long.

Have you checked out PrE Hanging, or Crashing - Some Tips? This might also be helpful - Clean, Lean & Mean Editing Machine - One Workflow.

Cheers,
                    --
                    Neale
                    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children