2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2012 10:57 PM by copenhagenmail

Adobe Reader 10.1.1 will not open .pdfs

RickZag

Adobe was working just fine when I was using it earlier this morning until I logged off to let another employee briefly use my computer. Since then I keep receiving an error message that says "Adobe Reader  has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience." I uninstalled and then re-installed Adobe but I still receive the same error message. How can I fix this problem?

• 1. Re: Adobe Reader 10.1.1 will not open .pdfs
          edvaill

Have same problem, just upgraded to X and now it won't open pdf files anymore.  Says:

Adobe Reader  has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience.

and reports the following:

AppName: acrord32.exe  AppVer: 10.1.1.33  ModName: acrord32.dll

ModVer: 10.1.1.33  Offset: 00021ac6

I'm using XP and have removed and redownloaded several times with same result (with and without anti virus on)

• 2. Re: Adobe Reader 10.1.1 will not open .pdfs
            copenhagenmail Level 1

setting.jpg

Adobe has a recent(2012-01-09)KB article http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/860/cpsid_86063.html entitled "Protected Mode troubleshooting". There is a similar article (2011-09-12) http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/901/cpsid_90161.html entitled Protected View troubleshooting.

I have had issues with Adobe Reader X hanging (not responding) due to a conflict between an antivirus program and the Adobe Reader X Protected Mode/Protected Viewer sandbox features.

khwajakhurram replied to my query suggesting unchecking the default Adobe Reader X Preferences >3D & Multimedia> "Enable hardware rendering for legacy video cards" setting and this solves the issues!

What is surprising is that Adobe Reader X's 3D & Multimedia settings report that the alternative preferred renderer modes are either software or DirectX9 .....on a Vista machine with DirectX11.

The video card on this machine is definitely not legacy but a recent quality Nvidia produced card. That is also the case on the other machines with the issue I have reported.

I went a step further and I have found that performance is vastly improved by changing from the default preferred renderer mode of DirectX9 to the alternative Software setting. 

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/860/cpsid_86063.html mentions that "certain configurations of anti-virus software that have not yet white-listed AcroRd32.exe" are "Unsupported configurations for Reader running in Protected Mode". Therefore I have also excluded AcroRd32.exe from virus scanning.

I am now able to use both Adobe Reader X's Protected Mode and Advanced Security without issue and performance is vastly improved. I am certain that your issues will also be solved.

notafan777, on another thread, suggested that theses problems are due to a legacy of sloppy code and this certainly seems to be the case here with these very odd default settings influencing performance to such an extent.