8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2008 7:35 AM by Zippydan

total noob: slideshow of tweened images.  how to pause onMouseover?

Zippydan
      you can view the source for my slideshow here

i tried googling this topic and found some code but i couldn't get any of it to work...

thanks so much
        • 1. Re: total noob: slideshow of tweened images.  how to pause onMouseover?
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          I don't see any tweening, just raw images planted in the timeline one frame after another. Did you link the wrong file?
          • 2. Re: total noob: slideshow of tweened images.  how to pause onMouseover?
            Zippydan Level 1
            im enough of a noob that i may not even be sure what "tweening" is but i thought the fade transition from picture to picture was tweening.

that is the correct file, i need to pause onMouseover
            • 3. Re: total noob: slideshow of tweened images.  how to pause onMouseover?
              Noelbaland Level 1
              Hello,

I'm with NedWebs on this one. The file only has a contoller movieclip and images on the timeline. The controller has some actionscript in it but none that points to any sort of tweening.

When you Test the movie all you get is all the images quickly flashing thru endlessly.

I have to ask as well - is this the right file??
              • 4. Re: total noob: slideshow of tweened images.  how to pause onMouseover?
                Zippydan Level 1
                im soooo sorry. u r right. i have updated the original link to point to the correct file :-(
                • 5. Re: total noob: slideshow of tweened images.  how to pause onMouseover?
                  clbeech Level 3
                  ok - so you're wanting to pause the playback when a user rolls over the file right? here's what you do -

on the top layer, which is empty, create an 'invisible' button - to do this, in that layer, draw a rectangle that covers the entire stage, right click - convert to symbol, make it a button, give it a name - click ok. now, with the new button selected, look in the properties panel, give the button an 'instance name' like: 'myButton' - now double click the symbol to enter it's edit mode - right click the 'hit' state frame, and 'insert blank keyframe' - then grab the first frame (the box) and drag it to the 'hit' frame, it should only be in that frame now. then back to the main timeline, scroll to the last frame of the movie elements, and on that layer right click the last frame and select 'insert frames' - scroll back to the first frame. create a new layer, called 'actions' and with the first frame selected open the actions panel and type the following code:
                  • 6. Re: total noob: slideshow of tweened images.  how to pause onMouseover?
                    Zippydan Level 1
                    quote:

Originally posted by: clbeech

thanks for your help. here are my problems so far:

quote:

on the top layer, which is empty, create an 'invisible' button - to do this, in that layer, draw a rectangle that covers the entire stage, right click - convert to symbol, make it a button, give it a name - click ok.

i can do this. however, if i select the top layer (Layer 1) and then draw a rectangle over my stage then the highlighted layer jumps down to the layer containing the portion of the movie that is currently display (slide1 for instance) and then seems to create the button in that layer instead of in Layer 1. i tried locking all layers except Layer 1 but then it would not let me draw the rectangle

quote:

now, with the new button selected, look in the properties panel, give the button an 'instance name' like: 'myButton'

got this

quote:

- now double click the symbol to enter it's edit mode - right click the 'hit' state frame, and 'insert blank keyframe' - then grab the first frame (the box) and drag it to the 'hit' frame, it should only be in that frame now.

i think i got this

quote:

then back to the main timeline, scroll to the last frame of the movie elements, and on that layer right click the last frame and select 'insert frames'

im unsure of what "that layer" means. the layer that contains the last frames? so in my case slide21? and then i insert a blank frame at the end of the slide21 layer? i dont understand the purpose of creating a blank frame at the end

quote:

- scroll back to the first frame. create a new layer, called 'actions' and with the first frame selected open the actions panel and type the following code:

i assume i am scrolling back to the first frame in preparation for creating the new layer and selecting the first frame, the rest of this is pretty clear.

• 7. Re: total noob: slideshow of tweened images.  how to pause onMouseover?
                      Zippydan Level 1
                      here's what i feel i need to do that im not getting done, but i could be wrong:

1. i need the button on its own layer. Layer1 probably. can't get there
                      2. i need the button to apply to the entire movie, it seems to only be in one frame now
                      • 8. Re: total noob: slideshow of tweened images.  how to pause onMouseover?
                        Zippydan Level 1
                        ok. i seem to have got it working. code here

i created the new button in slide1 because i couldnt figure out how to create it in layer1. in order to get it out to its own layer that spanned the entire movie, i then right clicked on that frame and chose "distribute to layers" which created a separate layer called "myButton" that then spanned the entire movie.

now the slideshow was working exactly as i wanted, except that the distribution also seemed to kill the fade-in tween for the first slide (where the button had been created.) the arrow line indicating the tween had turned into a dashed line.

i messed around trying to fix this for a while, and then finally gave up. i copied that part of the tween from my original file into my new version and now everything seems to work.

still it seems like an inelegant way to get the job done. there must be a better way to get the button onto its own layer without destroying a tween (there also must be a better way to fix the tween than having to copy from an older version of the file)

thanks for your help everyone