1 2 Previous Next 41 Replies Latest reply: Jun 27, 2014 1:40 PM by GarethLind RSS

InDesign CS 5.5 Tagged Reading Order Incorrect in Acrobat X

BCM-MSY

I have to create Section 508 accessible PDFs, but Acrobat Pro X does not follow the tagged reading order code/instructions I set from within InDesign CS5.5.

1. I first set the tags in reading order in the Structure Pane and created a PDF. Opened the PDF file in Acrobat. The reading order was different.
      2. I went back to InDesign and set reading order in the Article Pane--and checked the line to "Use for reading order in tagged PDF." Created a PDF. Opened in Acrobat. The reading order is different. 
      3. I went back to InDesign and set the tags in order in both the Structure Pane and Article Pane, and created a PDF. Opened PDF in Acrobat. Reading order was different.

The purpose of Section 508 is to make documents read more easily, and logically, by those with sight difficulties. As I see it, InDesign CS5.5 and Acrobat Pro X fail to do this.

Is there a solution?

• 1. Re: InDesign CS 5.5 Tagged Reading Order Incorrect in Acrobat X
          John Hawkinson Community Member

This is a dumb question, I'm sure, but you have "Created Tagged PDF" checked in Indesign's PDF export dialog, right?

Have you tried both interactive and print PDF exports?

• 2. Re: InDesign CS 5.5 Tagged Reading Order Incorrect in Acrobat X
            BCM-MSY Community Member

Oh yes. I'm an experienced user and this has me baffled.

I will try both export options on Monday. From what I've seen on the Forums, I'm not the only one experiencing this issue (quite a few Users, in fact).

Thanks for the suggestions!

Martha

• 3. Re: InDesign CS 5.5 Tagged Reading Order Incorrect in Acrobat X
              Oh yes.

Sorry, does that mean "Yes, I have Create Tagged PDF" checked? Or somethign else?

From what I've seen on the Forums, I'm not the only one experiencing this issue (quite a few Users, in fact).

Err, really? I saw one other question yesterday that looked extremely similar (I wondered if it was one of your colleagues!), but I don't recall seeing questions in the past. Has there been no resolution on any of those other threads?

• 4. Re: InDesign CS 5.5 Tagged Reading Order Incorrect in Acrobat X
                BCM-MSY Community Member

Hi John,

Thank you for responding.

Yes, I have checked "create tagged pdf" from within InDesign. No resolution in the other threads. I saw similar questions from 2010 and another from 2008. That's as far as I dug (time constraints).

Here are a few I found using search terms "InDesign tag" or "Section 508." (other search tags could simply be 508 or disabilities, or reading order. Though some questions were answered, if you read further, it turns out that the accessibility tags feature is not working. Some people tried using other products to get it to work. So the "correct" answer didn't really address the main issue of the Adobe tags not working.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3132180#3132180

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3945200#3945200

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2855176#2855176

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3666441#3666441

http://forums.adobe.com/message/1175623#1175623

Search on ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act)

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4060122#4060122

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3995257#3995257

Regards,

Martha

• 5. Re: InDesign CS 5.5 Tagged Reading Order Incorrect in Acrobat X
                  BCM-MSY Community Member

BTW… I'm on a Mac. It is not a Mac system software error. Some of the other Users with the same issue were using WIN systems.

• 6. Re: InDesign CS 5.5 Tagged Reading Order Incorrect in Acrobat X
                    BCM-MSY Community Member

One User, on another thread, came up with the following convoluted way of making it work. Perhaps this should be sent to Adobe?

In Indesign, reorder ALL the objects on page using send to back, starting with the last object on page you wish read, continuing until the object you want read first in acrobat is sent to the back last in InDesign. The result is that the Reading order is correct in Acrobat. Obviously, any object additions to a page means re-ordering the whole page. Changing copy doesn't affect this. Also, the order of objects on a page has no relationship to the page structure. It appears that the object reading order is as objects are added to page. Ist added (and furthest back), 1st read, last added (nearest front), last read. Shuffling the objects in the Document Structure pane has no effect on this order (and vice-versa).

• 7. Re: InDesign CS 5.5 Tagged Reading Order Incorrect in Acrobat X
                      BCM-MSY Community Member

Good Lord. I just tried the User's suggestion (below) and it actually worked.

But what that means is that issue is still a coding/programming problem and people are wasting lots of time following Adobe's instructions. It also means that all of those documents which are supposed to be Section 508 Compliant and are passing Adobe's "Test" are not truly compliant. Ethical issue in play here. Someone really needs to get this information to Adobe, and I don't know how to do it.

In Indesign, reorder ALL the objects on page using send to back, starting with the last object on page you wish read, continuing until the object you want read first in acrobat is sent to the back last in InDesign. The result is that the Reading order is correct in Acrobat. Obviously, any object additions to a page means re-ordering the whole page. Changing copy doesn't affect this. Also, the order of objects on a page has no relationship to the page structure. It appears that the object reading order is as objects are added to page. Ist added (and furthest back), 1st read, last added (nearest front), last read. Shuffling the objects in the Document Structure pane has no effect on this order (and vice-versa).

Martha

• 8. Re: InDesign CS 5.5 Tagged Reading Order Incorrect in Acrobat X
                        Vikrant Rai Adobe Employee

In ID CS5.5 the Articles panel is nifty way to specify reading order.

There is an old blog post I wrote  that might help you.

• 9. Re: InDesign CS 5.5 Tagged Reading Order Incorrect in Acrobat X

In ID CS5.5 the Articles panel is nifty way to specify reading order.

Vikrant:

Martha mentioned that she tried the Articles panel in the original post and it did not work:

2. I went back to InDesign and set reading order in the Article Pane--and checked the line to "Use for reading order in tagged PDF." Created a PDF. Opened in Acrobat. The reading order is different.

Unless she is using it incorrectly (?), there is something more complicated going on here.

• 10. Re: InDesign CS 5.5 Tagged Reading Order Incorrect in Acrobat X
                            BCM-MSY Community Member

Thanks, but I am using the software correctly. I've actually fought with this issue for a couple of years, and was glad that Adobe introduced the Articles Pane, thinking it would make things better. It didn't because the problem remains.

Martha

• 11. Re: InDesign CS 5.5 Tagged Reading Order Incorrect in Acrobat X
                              Peter Spier ACP/MVPs

Martha,

You'll want to remove the autoquote and personal informatyion when replying by email. You are still posting to the web.

• 12. Re: InDesign CS 5.5 Tagged Reading Order Incorrect in Acrobat X
                                Newjudith

I want to thank BCM for posting the solution to this. It is not idea but at least I now understand better how it works. I also thought it would follow either the articles panel or the structure pane. Also if you anchor an object to a stacked text object, it follows the text correctly.

• 13. Re: InDesign CS 5.5 Tagged Reading Order Incorrect in Acrobat X
                                  seegs17

I have done this same sequence with the "Create tagged PDF" box checked upon exporting and "Use for Tagged Reading Order in PDF" selected in the Articles pane, all to no avail.

I noticed when reviewing the tags in the PDF that they are in the correct order. Does this affect the reading order or does that only show the tags in the correct order? Is it possible that the tagged order is correct and the Reading Order tool is pulling from the order the items were placed on the page?

I read Martha's solution, but it doesn't make sense that Adobe would go through all the trouble to create a tool and not have it work. There has to be a better way than to move everything to the back to put it in the correct reading order.

• 14. Re: InDesign CS 5.5 Tagged Reading Order Incorrect in Acrobat X
                                    miss forms

Does anyone know if a solution has been found to BCM-MSY's original question. I am losing my mind with the articles panel in InDesign 5.5 and the reading order not converting properly in acrobat X. I have 200+ documents that were created in .indd that need to be made accessible according to WAG 2.0 AA standards and I'm struggling with form #1. I followed the exact same 3 steps outlined above by BCM-MSY. Do i need to upgrade to CS 6??

• 15. Re: InDesign CS 5.5 Tagged Reading Order Incorrect in Acrobat X
                                      BCM-MSY Community Member

You don't need to upgrade to CS6.

I totally stopped using the Articles panel. It just added steps that were not necessary and almost made me insane! I created a step-by-step set of instructions that I used to train two people. They were able to create accessible PDFs on their own, and only came to me for a couple of things. Here is how I make an accessible PDF file (below). It is done first by using InDesign, then using Acrobat. Words in all caps are pull-down menu items, using a Mac. The terms should be the same, or close, on a PC.

CRITICAL

Accessible PDFs are "read" one complete page at a time, and each page is tagged separately from another. 

If you have linked text boxes that cross several pages, you MUST split the text boxes before tagging (how to, below). 

Create Section 508 Accessible PDFs with Correct Reading Order

Steps for InDesign:

1. INITIAL SETUP

VIEW STRUCTURE AND TAGGED FRAMES

1. Go to the pull-down VIEW menu.
                                      2. Select STRUCTURE.
                                      3. Select SHOW STRUCTURE. The STRUCTURE PANE will appear on the left side of the document.
                                      4. Go to VIEW.
                                      5. Select STRUCTURE.
                                      6. Select SHOW TAGGED FRAME. The TAGS PANE will appear (movable).

CREATE TAGS TO USE IN THE DOCUMENT

1. Go to WINDOW.
                                      2. Select UTILITIES.
                                      3. Select TAGS.
                                      4. From TAGS PANE, select CREATE NEW TAG from pull-down menu. This is where all tags are listed.
                                      5. Create new content Element tags (for content on a page) using these words to identify what the content is: Image, Story, Table, Cell, Artifact
                                      6. Create new Structural Container tags (to use with the Structure Pane), using whatever name will help you keep track of individual pages or sections: Cover, Chapter, Contents, individual page numbers, Student_page, etc. If you want to make a tag for each page, you cannot leave spaces in the tag name. Use something like:  Page_01

2. TAG THE DOCUMENT ONE PAGE AT A TIME.

CREATE A STRUCTURE TAG IN THE STRUCTURE PANE. (Repeat for each section as you work through the document.)

1. Go to STRUCTURE PANEL (on left) and highlight/select ROOT.
                                      2. From pull-down menu (far right side of structure pane), select NEW ELEMENT and select the structure tag you want to use for this page (Chapter, Section, Page_1, etc). Notice that a box appears in the STRUCTURE PANE. That box is the structural “holder” for the tagged content items.

SPLIT STORIES THAT CROSS OVER MULTIPLE PAGES. 

1. Go to WINDOW.
                                      2. Select UTILITIES.
                                      3. Select SCRIPTS. The SCRIPTS PANE should appear.
                                      4. Select the linked text box.
                                      5. From the SCRIPTS PANE, find and select: SplitStory.jsx
                                      6. The linked text boxes will unlink. Check on each page you split to make sure copy flows correctly for the page, (e.g., you may need to indent the first line of the next page as needed).

TAG CONTENT PAGE ELEMENTS

1. Select (highlight) the item (text box or image box) that is to appear last on the page.
                                      2. From the TAGS PANE, select the appropriate TAG. Notice that a matching underlined TAG appears in the STRUCTURE PANE.
                                      3. Select the item again.
                                      4. Go to OBJECT.
                                      5. Select ARRANGE.
                                      6. Select SEND TO THE BACK.

ADD ALTERNATE TEXT FOR IMAGES

1. Select (highlight) the image for alternative text.
                                      2. Go to the STRUCTURE PANE (left) and find the underlined item (should be titled “Image”.
                                      3. Click on the underlined item in the STRUCTURE PANE so that the name is highlighted.
                                      4. Select/click on the BLACK BULLET at the top of the STRUCTURE PANE.
                                      5. In the NAME box, type in: Alt (Cap “A”, lower case “l”, lower case “t”)
                                      6. In the VALUE box, type in the alternate text.
                                      7. Click OK.

AFTER EACH ITEM ON THE PAGE HAS BEEN TAGGED

1. Go to the STRUCTURE PANE. Select/highlight all of the tags for the page and drag them into the Structure Container box for that page/section.

3. REPEAT FOR EACH PAGE/SECTION.

4.  FINAL STEPS

1. Select ROOT in the STRUCTURE PANE.
                                      2. From the STRUCTURE PANE, select the pull-down menu (far right, top of pane).
                                      3. Select ADD UNTAGGED ITEMS. An ARTIFACT box will appear in the STRUCTURE PANE.
                                      4. If the ARTIFACT box has items in it (little arrow appears to the left of the element name), open the box and select/highlight an item.
                                      5. From the STRUCTURE PANE pull-down menu, select GO TO TAG.
                                      6. Look at the page in the document where the TAG shows up. Find the corresponding tag in the STRUCTURE PANE. Move the Content TAG from the Artifact box to its correct Container box in the STRUCTURE PANE.
                                      7. Repeat until the ARTIFACT box at the end of the document is empty.

ADD HYPERLINKS

1. Go to WINDOW.
                                      2. Select INTERACTIVE.
                                      3. Select HYPERLINKS.
                                      4. In the HYPERLINKS PANEL, select CONVERT URLS TO HYPERLINKS.

SAVE THE DOCUMENT (Actually, I save frequentlY, and in the case of larger documents, use Save As to create a backup periodically.)

5. EXPORT THE FILE AS A PDF

1. Go to FILE.
                                      2. Go to ADOBE PDF PRESETS.
                                      3. Select SMALLEST SIZE (for Web) or HIGH QUALITY PRINT (for printing).
                                      4. Click SAVE in the popup pane. (You can rename the file here, if you wish.)
                                      5. Make sure the following boxes are checked:
                                      6. Embed Page Thumbnails
                                      7. Optimize for Fast Web View
                                      8. Create Tagged PDF (very important)
                                      9. Bookmarks
                                      10. Hyperlinks.
                                      11. Click EXPORT.

Steps for Adobe Acrobat:

INITIAL SETUP

1. Locate and open the new PDF file in Acrobat.
                                      2. Locate and click on the first page in the PAGE THUMBNAILS PANE (left side of page).
                                      3. Select all of the pages.
                                      4. Locate the small pull-down menu at the top of the PAGE THUMBNAILS PANE.
                                      5. Select PAGE PROPERTIES (bottom of pull-down menu).
                                      6. Click in the button for USE PAGE PROPERTIES and click OK.
                                      7. Go to FILE.
                                      8. Select PROPERTIES.
                                      9. Click on the ADVANCED tab in the popup pane.
                                      10. Select ENGLISH as the language and click OK.
                                      11. Save.

RUN ACCESSIBILITY CHECK.

1. Click on TOOLS.
                                      2. Click on ACCESSIBILITY.
                                      3. Click on FULL CHECK.

IF THE PDF PASSES THE ACCESSIBILITY TEST, CLICK ON SAVE.

FINE TUNING PDF

1. Select FILE.
                                      2. Select PROPERTIES.
                                      3. INITIAL VIEW: If you want the title of the book to appear at the top of the page instead of the Filename, Find the INITIAL VIEW tab and change Show: File Name to Document Title.
                                      4. DESCRIPTION: Add document title, Author, etc., here. Click on ADDITIONAL META DATA to add copyright information.
                                      5. SECURITY: If you want to password protect the file to prevent end users from changing the file, click on SECURITY and select PASSWORD SECURITY. You can remove security at any time.
                                      6. Select Acrobat 6.0 and later.
                                      7. Click on the second button to Encrypt all document contents except metadata (will let users find the document on web searches).
                                      8. Click the Restrict editing box. There are options to select.
                                      9. After everything in this popup pane is the way you want it to be, click OK.
                                      10. IMPORTANT: Select FILE and SAVE AS to save the secured document with a different name. It is better to have one secured PDF and one unsecured PDF. You may need an unsecured PDF in the future, for example, when emailing versions back and forth to each other.

IF THE PDF DOES NOT PASS THE ACCESSIBILITY TEST, CHANCES ARE, IT WILL BE EASIER TO GO BACK TO THE IN DESIGN FILE AND CORRECT IT THERE.

If you tag an item in InDesign as an Artifact, and the item has a URL in it, you will get an Accessibility Error that you have an inaccessible link, OR other error message.

You can create Bookmarks easily using either InDesign or Acrobat. Adding or deleting Bookmarks will not change the structure or tags.

• 16. Re: InDesign CS 5.5 Tagged Reading Order Incorrect in Acrobat X
                                        BCM-MSY Community Member

I had error messages popup because of empty text or graphic boxes in an InDesign file that could not be seen. One way to spot them in InDesign is to go to the VIEW pulldown menu, select EXTRAS and select SHOW FRAME EDGES.

• 17. Re: InDesign CS 5.5 Tagged Reading Order Incorrect in Acrobat X
                                          miss forms Community Member

I love you BCM-MSY. I just printed this. am exhausted after researching this all day. will follow your steps tomorrow and post how all goes. fingers are crossed......THANK YOU!!!

• 18. Re: InDesign CS 5.5 Tagged Reading Order Incorrect in Acrobat X
                                            BCM-MSY Community Member

You are welcome. Believe me, I have been where you are--almost blind and frustrated to boot. I'll check back, too, in case you have questions or any other problems. Good luck!

Martha

• 19. Re: InDesign CS 5.5 Tagged Reading Order Incorrect in Acrobat X

OK ...so I'd say I was about 85% successful.

-most of the reading order was correct after i exported the indd file to PDF(interactive).

- but...5 out of the 19 tags were out of order

- and the other problem is that in my .indd file..i had about 30 'story' tags. but when i exported to PDF some of the tags were merged into one big tag. Not sure why? so i will have to edit the tags in the PDF i guess??

My next big problem is that the forms i work with are bilingual. So some how I have to figure out how to set the language to english for some parts; and then set other parts to french. not sure if this is possible or if i will have to create two (2) seperate files..one 'english' PDF..and one french PDF??

• 20. Re: InDesign CS 5.5 Tagged Reading Order Incorrect in Acrobat X
                                                BCM-MSY Community Member

My documents can be up to 60+ pages in length. Sometimes I forget the process of sending the last thing I want someone to read to the back of a page, followed by the next thing, and so on. So, though you've probably already triple checked yourself...

I suspect that when you completed Step 4, the program found unmarked text boxes and added them automatically. If this is the case, open the InDesign File and go to the Structure Pane. Look at the last entries. If they are not in content boxes you created in the Structure Pane, such as "Chapter_01", highlight and drag each item from the bottom of the pane into its correct location.

Moving tags to the correct location in the Structure Pane will not affect the reading order. You will need to go to the page where the tag appears and reorder the items on the page again (sending last box you want someone to read to the back, then the next to last, and so on). You'll have to do it for each tag that appears at the bottom of the Structure Pane list.

Redo Step 4. Run through these steps again to make sure all of your tags are contained within the Structure Pane boxes where they belong. If new tags appear, find and move them as described above.

ENGLISH/OTHER LANGUAGES

You will have to create a separate PDF for each language. The readers "read" each typed word of text. So a Spanish version will have to be typed in Spanish, etc.

Good luck. Will check back again.

• 21. Re: InDesign CS 5.5 Tagged Reading Order Incorrect in Acrobat X

im wondering if it might be easier to just convert the .indd file to PDF and then just add all the tags in acrobat...as this is taking a really long time ::(

• 22. Re: InDesign CS 5.5 Tagged Reading Order Incorrect in Acrobat X

its the clicking on every object and sending it to the back that is getting very time consuming

• 23. Re: InDesign CS 5.5 Tagged Reading Order Incorrect in Acrobat X
                                                      BCM-MSY Community Member

I found it much harder to try and deal with tagging within Acrobat. Tagging in Acrobat made me want to run screaming into the street. I spent months trying to figure it out. However, that may not be the case for you.

No matter which way you go, be sure to split the text boxes within InDesign, and order the boxes as I suggested. I truly sympathize. But that's the only way I've found to get the reading order correct. I've become so fast at it now, that I don't even think about it as I do it. And I'm in the process of converting a huge library of educational teacher's guides, stories and magazines. 

Still, maybe someone else has found a better way now...

• 24. Re: InDesign CS 5.5 Tagged Reading Order Incorrect in Acrobat X

i def prefer to work in InDesign. but im still not sure why my individual text boxes got tagged as one (1) object after i exported to PDF. i had 3 seperate text boxes...all in horizontal alignment but in the PDF its all one box. so now i have to remove the one tag ...and c if i can use the touch up tool maybe to make them 3 tags. ugh.

• 25. Re: InDesign CS 5.5 Tagged Reading Order Incorrect in Acrobat X
                                                          BCM-MSY Community Member

I would try that within Acrobat.

• 26. Re: InDesign CS 5.5 Tagged Reading Order Incorrect in Acrobat X
                                                            BCM-MSY Community Member

The one text box may be okay, and should not show up as an error when you check accessibility.

• 27. Re: InDesign CS 5.5 Tagged Reading Order Incorrect in Acrobat X

i give up again for the day! i went back into indesign. made sure everything was in a seperate text box. The first time i exported the .indd file, there were 19 tags that showed up in the PDF when i opened it in Acrobat. This time when i exported the .indd file, there were only 16 tags. In the bottom section of my .indd file I had 3 paragraphs all in seperate text boxes but in the PDF, they show up as one tagged story. ugh!

• 28. Re: InDesign CS 5.5 Tagged Reading Order Incorrect in Acrobat X
                                                                Newjudith Community Member

I do many documents using indesign and acrobat for 508. My method is simpler. I make sure the stacking order is correct on each page ( but I don't go  crazy over this) it can still be fixed in acrobat. I do not use the structure or tags. I only use the object export options to tag my alt text and make everything artifact that I do not want tagged. I find all my hyperlinks.   I save as a pdf file, optimized, tagged, with bookmarks (If I have a table of contents that was created I also make that into bookmarks) and hyperlinks. I found that indesign taggs the table pretty good if they are created correctly.

Then I go in acrobat and start remediating the document. i set the language. Set the page structure. I look at each page to make sure the order is correct, if not I tweak with the order panel. I do not worry if taggs for text shows up as one tag. That is fine. i do pull out the headings and subheads using the tagging panel ( I wish I could do this in indesign but It has not worked). I check the hyperlinks.

If there is a problem it usually tells me which page to look on to fix it. We also have a software plug in for acrobat called common look that can fix most problems. If you have a clean document it usually can be made 508. Use jaws or read outloud to see how it works.

• 29. Re: InDesign CS 5.5 Tagged Reading Order Incorrect in Acrobat X
                                                                  BCM-MSY Community Member

Actually, Common Look will not work for me or anyone who uses a Mac. From the website:

Windows 7, Vista or XP and Adobe® Acrobat® Professional 6.0 or later. Windows Internet Explorer 6.0 SP1 or later is required.

• 30. Re: InDesign CS 5.5 Tagged Reading Order Incorrect in Acrobat X

Ok - just so im understanding newjudith....my form only has text boxes...no tables, hyperlinks etc. so are you saying it would be easier to simply convert my .indd file to PDF and add all the tags in Acrobat?( Except as you said for the stacking order). And that I don't need to specify anything in .indd? Thanks for the help all. its really greatly appreciated.

• 31. Re: InDesign CS 5.5 Tagged Reading Order Incorrect in Acrobat X
                                                                      Newjudith Community Member

If the text boxes are linked it should not be a problem. There does not have to be a separate tag for every text box. If the 3 boxes of text are linked and is the same level of story text than it could have one tagged box around  it.I would test letting acrobat tag it. Test in the read outloud or jaws.

Hoping  that indesign 6 will make it easier.

• 32. Re: InDesign CS 5.5 Tagged Reading Order Incorrect in Acrobat X
                                                                        BCM-MSY Community Member

We just received Acrobat Pro XI. It actually may simplify the process. Keeping my fingers crossed!

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/pdf-accessibility-standards.html

• 33. Re: InDesign CS 5.5 Tagged Reading Order Incorrect in Acrobat X
                                                                          jay fresno Community Member

I'm just getting started with accessible PDFs from InDesign, using InDesign CS6 and Acrobat XI. If anyone has anything new to add to the techniques described here, I'd love to hear about any helpful updates to the workflow.

• 34. Re: InDesign CS 5.5 Tagged Reading Order Incorrect in Acrobat X
                                                                            raeben3 Community Member

I've worked with structuring Indesign documents for export, but it's been a while.

The process is far from simple and looks like you've done a thorough job with these instructions.  I recall it taking at least half a day for a largish (80 layout pages) journal document with maybe 6-8 journal articles -- some of which had 3 to 4 stories or separate text frames and 8-10 images. Clean up was required for some, regardless.  We used this process to create tagged pdf and streamline conversion to html.

For a monthly or any repetitive task it was definitely worth it to develop a good workflow even with some cleanup.  But for one-offs going to accessible PDF only I'm thinkig it is faster to add tags in the PDF and do the cleanup there, particularly if there are multiple text boxes on each page in your layout.  But I like working in PDF and it goes quickly for me. 

Can you estimate how long it took you to structure yoru document and what your document is like -- I understand the processing time depends on how many pages, stories and images, so the more detail about your document you can provide the better. 

Thanks so much!

• 35. Re: InDesign CS 5.5 Tagged Reading Order Incorrect in Acrobat X
                                                                              BCM-MSY Community Member

Thank you. Glad to help.

The instructions I've given are not for use with Microsoft Word or straight-forward copy flow within ID. If the layout is simple, such as in Word, it generally is easier to create tagged pdfs and then use Acrobat Pro to correct the reading order

I create teacher's instructional guides. I first create the complete book, then create/split the guide into individual lesson files.

The book designs are approximately 60 pages long (8-10 chapters), with multiple text boxes (some of which are linked to other pages), tables, and photos/illustrations (with cutlines) in unique layouts on each page. Because of design complexity, it's simpler for me to tag a book using ID first, use Save As to create (already) tagged individual ID files (deleting other chapters), then clean up all in Acrobat (getting into the workflow zone).

If you'd like to see an example of a finished book, you can visit the URL below and download a pdf.

Book

http://www.bioedonline.org/lessons-and-more/teacher-guides/microbes/

Lessons

http://www.bioedonline.org/lessons-and-more/lessons-by-topic/microorganisms/microbes/

Imported Illustrator files with text can be problematic. Sometimes, even when I've outlined copy or marked an item as an artifact, I still have to correct or tag in Acrobat.

It usually takes me less than a day to complete one book. The process speeds up as I get "in the zone," so individual lessons are much faster to create. If a book has less pages, about 30, I can complete everything in one day.

Luckily, Acrobat Pro XI has given us the ability to manually bypass what it "thinks" should be the correct reading order on a page. It also has given us the Set Alternate Text function, which is great (best for correcting imported Illustrator files in using Acrobat in the pdf).

Wish there was an Actions feature in ID like there is in Photoshop. That would be mag.

Martha

• 38. Re: InDesign CS 5.5 Tagged Reading Order Incorrect in Acrobat X
                                                                                RorohikoKris Community Member

Hi all,

I just released an enhanced version of FrameReporter which might help out for this. Have a look here:

http://rorohiko.tv/stacking

It's not the whole solution, but I hope it might make your lives easier...

• 39. Re: InDesign CS 5.5 Tagged Reading Order Incorrect in Acrobat X
                                                                                  BCM-MSY Community Member

I just test-drove it. WONDERFUL PLUG-IN!!!

1 2 Previous Next