3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2012 2:10 PM by adninjastrator

Flash demo loop dimensions

kar13 Level 1

Hi,

I have to create a demo loop that will play on a 32" TV at a convention center booth. This .swf will also be repurposed on a webpage after the convention.

What's the best pixel dimension to create the flash stage? If I create it at 1024 x 768 to fit safely within a browser, any idea how it will look when viewed on a TV? Will it look distorted? How do I compensate for fact that the TV may be 1080p or it may be 720....  and still have it work on a typical web page?

I feel like I'm over thinking this....

Thanks.

-Karen

• 1. Re: Flash demo loop dimensions
          adninjastrator Level 4

Since nearly all monitors and TV screens now are widescreen (16:9 aspect ratio), I'd suggest that you stay away from 1024 x 768, which is the older, 4:3 aspect ratio. Also remember that the monitor will not display all 1024 x 768 pixels.... so always use something a little smaller than 100% of the theoretical w/h.

You might go with something like 1200x675 which would fit pretty well on most widescreen TVs. While it is a little large for some monitors, you can always downsize the Web page display in the <object> code when you put the video on the Web page.... without changing the video at all... just the display dimensions.

Not sure if you are aware of the effect of the video bitrate on the display quality, but a 1000+ wide video would require a much higher bitrate than say a 640 wide video.

I do a similar slideshow/video presentation at a local hotel. To compensate for not getting the exact pixel count, I also "scale" the Flash to 100%... it helps smooth out any minor pixel differences.

But it's best to create a short test video and put it up on the TV before you commit to the whole project.

Bitrate review:

Video bit rate

Video bitrate is the minimum amount of data that must continually flow into the video player in order for the player to display that particular video uninterrupted. If that supply of data is not high enough, the video player will stop…. Wait for more data to download, then resume. The video bitrate is set as a parameter when the video is encoded.

One of the principle of goal setting is to "Begin with the end in mind". In this case it'll be very hard to give good recommendations because the end is not defined. So I'll just make a few assumptions and you can correct me as needed.
          First, I'll assume that since you are converting to Flash, you want to deliver this video over the Internet. If that's true, then we'll have to make some assumptions on the Internet connection download speeds of your potential viewers. Let's just say that most have at least a 1.5Mb connection or faster.
          OK, that would mean that a video bitrate of half that should usually provide a video download that is not interupped by buffering (most of the time anyway). So assuming a video bitrate of 750kbps, what would the optimum display dimensions be?
          Before we decide, here's a little info about bitrate. For highest quality playback, the video bitrate is tied directly to the display dimensions. That is, the larger the display, the more incoming data is required to properly display the video. Think of bitrate in terms of a can of paint. If you have 1 quart of paint, you might be able to do a very nice job on a 32 X 24 foot area. But if you try to stretch that same amount of paint out over a 64 X 48 foot area, the coverage will not be nearly as good and you get poor results.
          In the same way, a video displayed at 640 X 480 pixels will require 4 times the bitrate as a video displayed at 320 X 240 pixels to produce the same quality. So for example a video with a bitrate of 100kbps, displayed at 160 X 120 will produce the same quality results as a video with a bitrate of 1600kbps if displayed at 640 X 480.
          So to boil it all down, video bitrates of 750kbps, even up to 1000kbps can usually get delivered of the Internet on most high speed connections. Higher bit rates may work for really fast connections but will cause problems for viewers with slower connections. Video display size has a direct bearing on the final quality. In the 750 to 1000kbps range, display size should be kept around 450 or 500 width max (and whatever height the aspect ratio calls for). Yes it can be displayed larger, but the quality will suffer.
          Sound like your audio settings are fine, especially for Internet delivery.
          As for framerate, maintain the original raw video framerate for best results. So if the video was shot at 24fps, leave it.
          As for video converters, do you have the Flash 8 Video Converter? It works just fine for video to be delivered over the Internet. Remember, you are taking a Cadillac version of video (h.264 HD) and stuffing it into a Chevy body to get it to work over the Internet.

Best wishes,

Adninjastrator

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Flash demo loop dimensions
            kar13 Level 1

Thank your for responding. I'm creating this entire demo in Flash. It's a demo of a website, with some images and text effects.

I found out that the TV it will be presented on will be 1365x768 resolution, so that's helpful. (And supports your point about the 16:9 aspect ratio!! -- thanks for that)

My past experience with Flash has been that if you scale images within Flash, the quality isn't that great. (guess I have to do some testing to see if that's still true) Because of that, I was trying to stay away from creating a large dimension project (for TV display) and scaling it down for web. I was hoping to find a "happy medium" size that could work for both at 100%.

Hmmm.   The Flash show will be played from a computer connected to the TV. So, does that mean I should actually be more concerned with the laptop's resolution, not the TV? Essentially, it's just acting as a monitor for the laptop then, right?

• 3. Re: Flash demo loop dimensions
              adninjastrator Level 4

Yes, the laptop resolution is what will be displayed on the TV screen. If the end result is intended for Web, then I'd suggest using a width much narrower than 1365.... few users will have or want to display the Web page at that width...a thousand or less is still pretty popular, especially since mobile devices are becoming so popular.

As for scaling, it's only for a few pixels, to be sure that the Flash application fills the entire screen (also F11 to fill the screen), the images are 1250 x 750 or so and some of the video comes in in 4:3 aspect ratio so my project has to be able to handle both. So I gave the Flash doc a pleasant background color that shows when 4:3 videos or portrait style images are showing... Go ahead and try match your display perfectly, but you might still find that in the end, "scaling" the Flash doc (not the images) helps prevent small gaps on sides/top/bottom.

This would be another way to handle a 1200+ width on the Web page, place it in a <div> with a set width of 1000px (for example), then scale the Flash doc to fill 100% of that... so your 1200 pixel TV display will not fit perfectly in a 1000 wide container on a web page, and the scaling down usually doesn't hurt... except for text.... hummm which you said was a big part??? ... so then maybe not such a good idea... just a suggestion..

Best way of course is to test the setup before you do the entire project.

I used a different, higher res set of images as well as a much higher bitrate video for the TV screen than for their Web display counter part. We wanted the very best qaulity for the lobby display yet needed images and video that would download reasonably quick over the Internet. Images in the lobby slideshow are about 700-800 kb each and the video bitrate is 1500kbps, while the Internet version of the images are about half that... so is the video, 750kbps.

Of course, you could go for the happy medium and not have to re-purpose for Internet use.

Best wishes, on your project!

Adninjastrator