4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2012 12:21 AM by Mylenium

Flipped axis when importing 3D model

squakz2011

Hi

When I import a 3d model (3ds max via photoshop), the controller (null object) and the psd layer don't have the same orientation of axis. This makes tracking another object (2d or 3d) to the original 3d object very difficult.

Does this make sense or should i try and clarify it?

Thanks so much

• 1. Re: Flipped axis when importing 3D model
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

You're the same guy who wanted to spin the wheels on a 3D race car, and couldn't figure out to do it in AE.  I'm going to add to the same advice I gave you yesterday:

AE is in no way, shape or form an adequate substitute for a real 3D application.  True, Photoshop can get you part way there, but it's just a band-aid and it has never, ever worked well.  Run away from it.

But what if you can't afford to get a real 3D application?  Google Blender, which is a FREE, open-source 3D modeling and animation application.  Then you don't have to fart around fruitlessly in AE, with no progress but getting nowhere fast.

• 2. Re: Flipped axis when importing 3D model
            squakz2011 Level 1

I'm trying to set up a comp that would eventually cut down the render times by about a million percent. Going back and forth from 3d renders to AE will just not be worth it. Taking the time to do R & D is.

If anyone has any insight to working with axis in AE it would be helpful.

Thanks!

• 3. Re: Flipped axis when importing 3D model
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The workflow for everyone from little old me to Pixar is to render a bunch of passes out of their 3D app like Diffusion, Specular, Shadow, and so on, then put them in a compositing app and make the final adjustments. I do it all the time.

If it were me I'd take the car into Blender, do the animations and even the camera moves, render out a choice bunch of passes, then bring the project back into AE to put it together. There's a great tool that I've been using for a while to get from Blender to AE. Check it out. Blender is open source (free) and amazingly powerful.

• 4. Re: Flipped axis when importing 3D model
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I'm trying to set up a comp that would eventually cut down the render times by about a million percent.

Seriously, you are trying to fight fire with an atom bomb here. No offense, but you haven't done your homework and not researched any of this properly. The PS render engine is among the slowest you can find on this planet and your render times will explode in your face. Re-rendering the scene in a 3D program when needed would definitely be much faster. I mean you are stacking issues here: You are trying to use a slow engine with tons of bugs and add AE on top of it with its own memory management issues and other stuff. Pardon my French, but WTF? Really, rather than sticking to your crooked workflow, learn how to do this in a proper 3D program and read up on multipass compositing, render optimizations to improve speeds, baking maps and shaders and all that...

Mylenium