10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2012 8:47 AM by bogiesan

IM SO STUCK

itstomcann111

Its me again, i have a quick video clip of someone against quite a plain coloured wall. (atempting a block colour for ease) I am wanting to delete the background, and add video moving effects into the background. Can anyone do this for me or help me? ahah im so stuck

• 1. Re: IM SO STUCK
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

Ah, your predicament is common among newcomers who want to start playing in AE-Land RIGHT NOW

In fact, another new AE user was asking similar questions to yours just yesterday, and received valuable advice. 

In fact, new AE users regularly share your lament, and regularly receive the same valuable advice.

So rather than type it all out -- again -- let me direct you to this thread.  Please read it carefully & follow the links within.

• 2. Re: IM SO STUCK
            itstomcann111 Level 1

okay so that just confused me a hell of a lot.  Basically i have to create a music video, My filming is quite bad but good enough, and i literally just need to cut the person singing out, so to speak and add him to other numerois backgrounds. Im sorrry, im definitely awfull at this stuff

• 3. Re: IM SO STUCK
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

Either you're a speed reader or you just skimmed that thread, ignored the links and still think to yourself, "How tough can this AE stuff be?"

Plenty tough for a newcomer, and all the more reason to go follow that link.  Long story short: you ain't prepared to fool around with Music videos in AE yet.

• 4. Re: IM SO STUCK
                itstomcann111 Level 1

ahh well that is no use, i only have 4 days to get it done, i only need a simple video. a guy cut out of a video and on a plain background, then i can add in my videos behind. i just cant seem to cut him out, because the colours arent quite right

• 5. Re: IM SO STUCK
                  Dave LaRonde Level 6

Aaahhh, it's against my better judgement to suggest something, for two reasons:

1: We have no idea what the video looks like so it might not work.

2: For the sake of saving time -- in this instance, a true false economy --  you're liable to blow off the ironclad admonitions that go with the suggestion, which will lead you to a dead end and wasted time.

With that understanding, I'll proceed.  If you have AE 10.5, you have access to the Rotobrush tool, which may help speed you in your task.  Be sure to use it ONLY with footage that has been transcoded to a lossless codec first to save rendering time later.

Here's the ironclad admonition:

Rotobrush is not in any way, shape or form a tool that can be used intuitively!  Before attempting to use it, you absolutely MUST study the Rotobrush resources in AE Online Help and carefully view the Rotobrush video tutorials!

And as I said earlier, nobody has a clue whether it will even help because nobody knows what the footage looks like.

But you're the guy who thought to himself, "Hey, how hard can this AE stuff be?"

Good luck.

• 6. Re: IM SO STUCK
                    bogiesan Level 4

itstomcann111 wrote:

Its me again, i have a quick video clip of someone against quite a plain coloured wall. (atempting a block colour for ease) I am wanting to delete the background, and add video moving effects into the background. Can anyone do this for me or help me? ahah im so stuck

A "block" colour? You mean "black?" Just use the linear keyer. You won't like the results but that's a one-button solution.

Do you understand alpha channel? Taht's what you will get when you do the linear key. You can use channel operations to move the alpha from the linear key back to the original footage, it's a simple way to sue one effect to modify another layer.

The help sections for alpha, channel operation filters and keying are all instantly available.

As LaRonde says, you may not attempt to use the rotobrush.

• 7. Re: IM SO STUCK
                      Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What color is the wall? Can you post a frame of your video or a screenshot of your project. Keying is fairly straight forward if you have a decent place to start.

• 8. Re: IM SO STUCK
                        itstomcann111 Level 1

Well Dave you just sound rude. and erm  thats a print screen here. im sorry im very bad at this stuff, and sound very slow. i apologise for thatspratley.jpg

• 9. Re: IM SO STUCK
                          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

RotoBrush is about your only option. You may be able to jack around with the image enough to pull a luma key from it, but you'd still need to garbage matte the hands, face, and white on the jacket.

Edit: So I took about 5 minutes and made you a sample comp from your still image. You'll see the use of masks, luma key, garbage matte, track matte and exposure correction. Maybe this will get you started. In the future remember that if you want to separate someone from the background make the background as different as you can. In your example the face, hands, and white on the clothing were so close in color and luma values to the background that they had to be masked out. I threw a green solid in as a background.

Depending on the movement of the footage RotoBrush may be a better and faster solution. Don't expect either solution to work with one click and a few adjustments of a few sliders.

Here's a CS5 project for you to look at. Here's a screenshot. It actually took me less time to work up the composition than it did to write this post.

LumaKey.png

Message was edited by: Rick Gerard

• 10. Re: IM SO STUCK
                            bogiesan Level 4

Rick wrote:

> In your example the face, hands, and white on the clothing were so close in color and luma values to the background that they had to be masked out.<

The OP wrote

>  Can anyone do this for me or help me? ahah im so stuck<

So Rick did it for you, more than I have time or patience for, so count your blessings. But he added a level of supreme complexity, masking. The rotobrush tool qwill require manipulation at a higher sophistication.

I say, reshoot it. Light it properly, shoot it against a blue or green screen. Or the bluest or greenest screen you can find. And don't have naything in the foreground that resembles the backgroudn colro plate. Then you can use Keylight and enhance it with precomposing and masking and rotobrushing.

But even if you never achieve that kind of prowess with the keying tools, reshooting this scene with some decent lighting and contraste will make ev everything easier and more fun for you as you learn the application.

LaRonde wasn't so much rude as trying to tell you, in his own way, you're asking for a simple answer to a very complex situation. It takes thick skin to be in this business.