8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2012 3:41 PM by MW Design

Exporting to pdf changes the resolution

FullMetalSage

Good day,

I have a document 800px wide in InDesign. When I export it to .pdf and set to 100% zoom it's way more than 800px. The exported .PDF at 100% zoom takes about 1200px instead of 800px and looks awful!! If I export it to .JPG it will export correctly and be 800px at 100% zoom.

Please help, this is really annoying, just want the pdf look like it supposed to look, I tried everything I knew.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Exporting to pdf changes the resolution
          [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Pixels are not a really existing measurement unit. InDesign fools you by substituting "points" with "pixel".

What does "just want the pdf look like it supposed to look" mean? You really need read up into what "resolution" means. Why are you looking at how a PDF -- a scaleable, resolution-independent file format -- looks like on YOUR screen? Pixels aren't a valid unit in PDFs either.

For anything pixel-related, you should not be using InDesign (and checking as PDF, lol!) but a bitmap imaging program instead. Something like Photoshop.

• 2. Re: Exporting to pdf changes the resolution
            FullMetalSage Level 1

Thank you for your reply.

It doesn't matter what measurment. I've just created a blank letter (8.5 inch wide ), added a rectangle, exported as JPG it looks one way; exported as pdf it looks completly different. I would assume that at 100% zoom document should have at least same dimention. I'm using pdf because I have hyperlinks, making a resume.

Again I would assume that JPG exporting is correct because it has the same dimention as in program at 100% zoom. I just want my pdf to export exactly as it looks while making it. Help please.

try.png

• 3. Re: Exporting to pdf changes the resolution
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

The size of 100% zoom in Acrobat is dependent on the resolution you've set in the Page Display section of the preferences.

• 4. Re: Exporting to pdf changes the resolution
                MW Design Level 4

And if you are making a PDF of a resume, the only important thing is that the PDF is the same "paper" size that you are creating it. It doesn't matter one hoot that it isn't pixel for pixel the same. Lowering your mouse down to the left corner of the viewing window, what does Acrobat say the page dimension is?

And do be aware, the people who may print off this resume may not have a printer capable of edge to edge printing. If you are having this digitally printed, and not cut, check with the printer as to margins. If you are having this offset and cut, make sure to add bleed.

Mike

• 5. Re: Exporting to pdf changes the resolution

Be aware, too, that if you are sending it as a digital file the odds are pretty good nobody will read it unless they actually asked you to send PDF. An incredible number of organizations request Word files for resumes, and if you don't send what they want they won't even bother with looking. There are too may applicants for every position these days to waste time on applicants who don't follow directions.

• 6. Re: Exporting to pdf changes the resolution
                    FullMetalSage Level 1

Thank you for your concern,

Does anybody know why inDesign exports .pdf  that at 100% zoom has different dimension as it is in the program at "Actual Size" view? Is it only my problem?

How can I set inDesign to display the page exactly as it will export it in pdf?

• 7. Re: Exporting to pdf changes the resolution

As I said above, though not directly, the methos used to calculate dimensions for display is differnt in ID and Acrobat, and Acrobat's is variable depending on what is set for resolution.

For what it's worth, the dimension, as Mike mentioned is pretty irrelevant. The size at any zoom level will vary from monitor to monitor depending onthe monitor size and resolution.

• 8. Re: Exporting to pdf changes the resolution
                        MW Design Level 4

Ok. If the page size in ID is the same size in the PDF, there is not an issue. Really, no issue.

Perhaps you are accustomed to working in pixels in an image editing application. An image editing application, based as they are in pixels (no matter the units used to set the page up with few exceptions), is not the same as ID, which is a page layout application and does not think in pixels as noted above.

If your page is 8.5" in width as I think it is, then the PDF will be 8.5" in width. That is all that is really necessary to understand (not that ID thinks in inches, either per se).

In general, one would not use ID to create images for the web (pixel units) or for an image editing application (with exceptions I suppose). One would use the image editing application to compose images to be placed into ID for various publishing output intents.

Mike